RtBiscuits first go at CF Skinning finish pics pg3

rtbiscuit

Well i've been i'll all week, and felt the symptoms last week so i thought i'd order something for me to do while i was ill, must admit, felt pretty rough so didn't start till late, and it wasn't too bad as it was only about 15 minutes work each day. little and often as they say.

so this arrived in the post form carbonmods

P1000793.jpg

i decided to redo my b pillars and strut brace, i had previously done them in vinyl and the strut brace had done ok, but the B pillars had bubbled terribly. i didn't like the carbon covers for either as fitment always looked off, so i thought i'd skin them instead. i also want to make some adjustments to the rear strut as i wanted to remove the square dots and the zed hole.

P1000797.jpg

i used a car plstic bumper filler, isoproben or something, very easy to work with

P1000798.jpg

and then used my little orbital to sand it all down

P1000799.jpg

then i prepped the B pillars

P1000800.jpg

first step was to apply the black resin undercoat to hid original colour through the CF, and also to leave a tacky surface to adhere the CF to later

P1000801.jpg

P1000802.jpg

next step was to wait 4 hours and then lay the CF over, this i found to be the hardest thing, the original overlay is easy, but then the folding round etc on corners and trying to tape it down underneath was an ar$e of a job, not only that, the black resin although tacky if you pt it face down would start to work through the CF. also everything is tacky, and sticky and you can't catch the weave otherwise it throws the aesthetics off. well this is how it looked after

P1000803.jpg

P1000804.jpg

P1000805.jpg

next stage was to apply the top coat and then leave to dry, i must admit again this wasn't so easy as some tape came undone once it was wet, and trying to hold something on a single nubbin underneath and paint it while everything is tacky is a little tricky.

any way next day, came down to check and all had hardened off. it only had one coat so far, and it used this opportunity to trim off all the excess, as it was easier to handle once the CF had set with the resin. took me about an hour with a stanley blade to tidy it all up. i cut it right back and this is what i got left with

P1000806.jpg

P1000807.jpg

i originally just CF over all the holes as it was easier, and then cut them out today. a little untidy, but then its all hidden underneath anyway.

P1000808.jpg

P1000809.jpg

i have also tested fitted all the parts and they fit perfectly, thought i would do that before wasting any more time prepping a piece of material that wouldn't fit

one thing i did notice was that some of the resin had soaked under the weave and all parts needed another coat. which i've put on today, i'll leave it for 24 hours and then start the flattening and polishing process.

i'll add more pics when its polished and finished, so hopefully saturday or sunday evening. :thumbs:

If you're well enough to play out in your garage you're well enough to go to school! :p:lol:

its been a nightmare job to do, while coughing and spluttering everywhere.

also its swine flu, i'm not allowed in public contact for 7 days :p

and i've felt like crap the whole time

yeah yeah, bet you've been watching loose women and jeremy kyle as well! :lol:

But good job - looking forward to the finished product! :thumbs:

bit of the wright stuff, but thats about it.

was going to wait till i had finished, but was bored, so i posted up early :blush:

If you're well enough to play out in your garage you're well enough to go to school! :p:lol:

Good effort Rich but :nono:

My mummy used to tell me ....."If your too ill to go to school then your too ill to play"

You take it easy mate and keep that bell close to hand... hope theres no one else from School watchin you :ninja:

PS are you going to be offering this service to people without any patience or are you just

bragging that you can do it ? :lol:

Good effort Rich but :nono:

My mummy used to tell me ....."If your too ill to go to school then your too ill to play"

You take it easy mate and keep that bell close to hand... hope theres no one else from School watchin you :ninja:

PS are you going to be offering this service to people without any patience or are you just

bragging that you can do it ? :lol:

was proper ill till wednesday, when temp went up to 38 rang the swine flu helpline, told me not to go back in to contact with people till next week, only started this yesterday with several jumpers on and a heater in the garage. and a dustmask. throat was till sore, and i'm cough loads, and i have no voice, or very little. very hard to teach with no voice.

as for doing it for others, for now its more bragging rights, i'm not confident enough to do it for others, and as carbon forza will be offering this soon and are professional it can't see the point in competeing, as it is only a cheaper option if you do it yourself. gets more expensive as soon as you pay someone else.

the kit is £46, then add labour, i'd say wait for carbon forza, or buy the kit and have ago yourself ;)

was proper ill till wednesday, when temp went up to 38 rang the swine flu helpline, told me not to go back in to contact with people till next week, only started this yesterday with several jumpers on and a heater in the garage. and a dustmask. throat was till sore, and i'm cough loads, and i have no voice, or very little. very hard to teach with no voice.

Stop being so sensitive.... ;)

Stop being so sensitive.... ;)

if someone from school read it i don't want them to think i've been sunning it up having a week off, cos i haven't :wacko:

I know mate.. ;) Just busting your balls :p

Like I said to you n Mrs Biscuit, I had it a couple of months back... I was laid up for a week and took me a month to fully recover....

( I must have had a slightly stronger strain of the virus than you though as I didnt have the energy for Zed mods in my garage ) b'dum tish !

Seriously though... get well soon bud :thumbs:

:lol:

You stayed in bed with a bell and a lemsip then?

no was still looking after lucy while i was ill,

my immune system is stronger, hers is no existent due to her having crones disease, hit her like a sledge hammer, took longer to affect me and the symptoms weren't quite as bad.

i didnt even finish reading this thread when i read the bit saying you have swine flu. and when were you going to let me know?!? mr im immune, im fine, its only a sore throat, you wont catch it blah blah... you better hope i dont get ill while im on holiday boy :angry:

i didnt even finish reading this thread when i read the bit saying you have swine flu. and when were you going to let me know?!? mr im immune, im fine, its only a sore throat, you wont catch it blah blah... you better hope i dont get ill while im on holiday boy :angry:

stop your whining, you'll be fine, its not like we kissed or anything :lol: