Telephone scam.....

N!ck-z

Got this emailed to me the other day. I'd hope nobody here is foolish enough to fall for this, but you never know!

A new telephone scam has recently been identified which the BBC has reported is taking place nationally and fooling many people.

People claiming to be British Telecom representatives are cold calling residential numbers and informing occupants that they would be disconnected if an unpaid bill wasn't settled. In one example, a male requested a payment of £31.00 or it would be £118.00 to reconnect at a later date. When the occupant stated he was with Virgin Media, the male stated that Virgin have to pay BT a percentage for line rental.

When challenged by the occupant, the male, who had an African accent, offered to demonstrate that he was from BT. When asked how, the male told the occupant to hang up and try phoning someone, as he would disconnect the phone to prevent this. When the occupant tried this, the phone was seemingly dead, with no engaged tone or anything until the male called back and requested a credit card payment.

The 'disconnection scam' is done very simply. When the occupant hangs up, the male stays on the line with the mute button on, meaning the occupant cannot dial out but the male can hear the occupant trying. This is because the person who initiates a call is the one who needs to terminate it. When the occupant stop trying, the male cuts off and immediately calls back. This simple trick can appear very plausible and could easily convince the vulnerable into giving over bank details.

Everyone to be aware of the above and spread the word to friends and family

I think you'll probably find that the actual scam is the email you have just posted. These are aimed at being sent round and round and around and sometimes are still going years later! If i can be bothered I usually google the email contents with urban myth and the answer is usually there. :)

I think you'll probably find that the actual scam is the email you have just posted. These are aimed at being sent round and round and around and sometimes are still going years later! If i can be bothered I usually google the email contents with urban myth and the answer is usually there. :)

Weather it is an urban myth or not, it is still very possible. Try it. A few times I've had a mate tie up my landline with an accidental phone call, phone still in pocket

if it helps there is another one going via email, i've had it twice, and must admit i nearly fell for it. and i'm not normally con'd easily.

had an email from the inland revenue saying i was due a tax rebate, all looke dofficial and even the email address was authentic looking. it asked you to fill in a payment form with details etc to get the rebate.

i googled it and it was a scam, the inland revenue like banks etc would never ask for your details online.

something didn't look right but i nearly didn't check.

+1 Urban myth - saw this a couple of years ago

this is a legit telephone scam my Grandad told me about this yesterday.

This happened to him last week.

unfortunately he fell for the very believable scam. due to the disconnection trick.

:disguise: sneaky bar-stewards!! :rant:

luckily he clicked on straight away tho and got the card canceled within 10 mins and the guys managed to withdraw 60 pound

:thumbdown: