Sat nav - which one?

goatboy

So I'm going to get me a sat nav and do a semi permanant install in the cubby but I can't decide which make of satnav.

I have tomtom on a pda so I was going to stick with the brand but other makes seem to be better value and get good reviews.

So anybody got experience of Tomtom vs Garmin vs Navman?

I've got between 150-200 quid to spend so I was looking at tomtom XL IQ Europe or an equivalent. For the same price I can get a Garmin or Navman with RDS traffic updates but I hear mixed reviews on that...

I'm also pretty technically savvy so I don't I'm not so fussed about it being easy to set-up or anything I just want it to give me good routes!!

Edit: forgot to add, there is no way I'm paying £7 a month for tomtom traffic updates, I don't drive enough to justify it.

Cheers all :D

Always had tomtom and even if they cost a bit more you cant go wrong

Have you ever tried the others?

This seems to be the problem I am having you see, everyone who has a tomtom says tomtom, Garmin and Navman likewise. People seem to stick with a brand...

co pilot was good software, but what let it down was running it on my PDA, much better than tomtom, garmin is pretty good, and is the market leader in the states. tomtom seem to have picked up a niche over here but its not the best.

go to somewhere that sells a variety and try them out.

I already have a permanent install of an older sat-nav in the cubby, and it works well. It's a Mio - made in Belgium.

However, I am thinking of upgrading to something with widescreen that will fill the cubby better and have a more up-to-date interface. Like you I don't need traffic updates etc., just a basic unit for occasional use. I have been considering this unit -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navman-S100-Sat ... 909&sr=8-4

It looks good and has very clear maps. I haven't heard the sound output, though, so can't comment on volume, clarity etc.

I recently bought a Tom Tom Live IQR . Worked fine until I tried updating it.........................................what a heap of junk :angry: . Have sent Tom Tom numerous queries on getting it to work. Still no good. It's going back if they cannot get it sorted soon. :dry:

we have a garmin and tbh its not great, takes forever to search where you are and find your route, and the alternative route option is crap.

but tbh its very easy to use and once its loaded its great.

i had a cheap navman once and its was awful. only cost me 75quid though brand new !

id stick with tom tom.

But, if you want to spend more, ive heard the Alpine sat Navs that you can buy for the Alpine DVD headunits are meant to be one of the best satnavs available.

I have owned TomTom, Garmin, Alpine and Pioneer satnavs in my 350Z. For best traffic avoidance and most up-to-date maps, I would get a TomTom live system (I have a Go 940 Live); the live traffic update is better than on any other system. The more expensive built in systems are faster, and have better user interfaces (on the whole), but the performance/value ratio is not tipped in their favour; having said that, I have an Alpine and it is great (though the traffic updates are nowhere near as good as the TomTom, and the map updates are a lot less regular, and more expensive).

I've had this for years but they stop making it now- however the maps are good - supplied by http://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en - especially European Maps if you are going abroad - we found the back of beyond in the backwater in France this year with it and the road was there! :D

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08/15 ... loox_n100/

Also have TomTom maps on my Samsung Omnia which is ok but prefer the Navigon maps to TomToms - suppose its what you get used to really - they are much the same these days and they get their data from the same mapping companies anyway! :wacko:

TomTom gets its data from Teleatlas.

Garmin gets it data from Navtech.

Navtech actually drive the routes to put them onto their systems.

Teleatlas use a combination of things including existing maps.

Navtech has better coverage of Romania, and some other Eastern European countries.

Teleatlas only has rudimentary coverage of Romania and some other Eastern European countries.

Been looking into this a bit more and was playing with some satnavs on display at Tesco last night. On tomtom you can do advance planning (so it will show you a route from A-B without a sateliite lock) but the Garmin I was fiddling with last night didn't seem to do that, Can anyone confirm if Garmins don't have advance planning or if it was just because it was a cheap one?

Always had tomtom and even if they cost a bit more you cant go wrong

Have you ever tried the others?

This seems to be the problem I am having you see, everyone who has a tomtom says tomtom, Garmin and Navman likewise. People seem to stick with a brand...

i've had pretty much all of them over the last 5 years. tomtom is definately the best satnav for routes and user experience.

id try and get the tomtom go if possible.

i possible save up and go for the system nurrish provides.

check his post in the for sale section.

good luck :thumbs:

well I went for a Tomtom in the end.

I went to halfords and was very tempted by a Garmin but when I realised you couldn't browse your route as text like you can on the tomtom i was majorly put off. so I got a tomtom XL IQ routes.

all updated and works fine, best thing is that you can have a azure 350z as your car icon straight out of the box!

What a winner!