New member, old owner, new problem!

N!ck-z

Hi all,

After much trawling through the web I came accross this forum and i was impressed by the wealth of knowledge and experience here, I have found a lot by searching past posts but I am still unsure about a few things.....

I have owned my Z for just under 2 years and the clutch has just started to go (higher than usual revs and reduced response when accelerating hard in higher gears). I am aware this is a common problem and so my instinct is to go with an aftermarket clutch to avoid the same again. My questions are:

1) I believe the flywheel needs to be changed also, but I dont particularly like the idea of the noise a lightened one makes. However, I dont particularly like the idea of paying £900 for one from Nissan. Any suggestions? I know Nismo do a clutch kit with fly, and I believe the fly is fairly heavy. Has anybody got any experience with this kit? Or is the noise a small price to pay?

2)I live in the North east and know Phil from East shore racing posts on here (bigphil?)but the phone numbers on his sig are not valid.... is East shore racing still in buissness?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Nick

Hi Nick and welcome to the forum.

If you are this stage I would get the clutch attended to sooner than later as you may get away with the flywheel change.

Sadly ESR are no longer with us due to Phils health.

The good news, forget the Nissan prices, our traders will save you a loy of money. :)

I have the JWT Exeddy combo and the noise isnt really that bad.

Thanks Martin

Thats a shame about phil.

I'm assuming the only way I would know if I would get away with it is if after the change of clutch the fly was vibrating badly? In which case I would incur more labour charges? Or could a decent garage tell with the engine opened up?

Talking of decent garages, I live in Hartlepool, does anyone know of any garages that have worked on their Z before in the region?

thanks again