How Quick?

Tricky-Ricky

Had a look at insurance costs etc, and found that there won't really be a lot of difference between running a 350Z and my 500BHP Supra :wacko: presumably due to being a younger car with the added costs of replacement parts/panels etc and still a current production.

So being realistic how quick is a 350 on the road? now as its a reasonable 276BHP V6 with i presume reasonable torque curve, and lighter than a Supra, i would expect it to be marginally quicker, at least until the Supras turbo spools up properly ;)

But what is the mid to high speed acceleration like in real terms?

Had a look at insurance costs etc, and found that there won't really be a lot of difference between running a 350Z and my 500BHP Supra :wacko: presumably due to being a younger car with the added costs of replacement parts/panels etc and still a current production.

So being realistic how quick is a 350 on the road? now as its a reasonable 276BHP V6 with i presume reasonable torque curve, and lighter than a Supra, i would expect it to be marginally quicker, at least until the Supras turbo spools up properly ;)

But what is the mid to high speed acceleration like in real terms?

Your best bet is to take one out for a test drive bud :thumbs:

I will be the first to admit that the z isn't the fastest thing on the road but for me its not all about straight line speed. The z comes into its own on the twisties, as its road handling and presence and thats what i like about it :thumbs:

Thanks! yes my big problem at the moment is finding a 350 to test drive, my reasons for asking the question are fairly obvious given my present car, but although the 350 has a good rep for the twisties, the Supra is no slouch round the twisty bits, in fact it surprises me frequently, and although i know there are quite a few quicker, the only other that i have driven that is quicker, is a mates 600BHP R32 GTR.

I guess i am trying to find out by my previous question is if the 350 is up to quick overtaking at mid to higher speeds, IE can given a reasonable space dispatch two or three cars without the risk of it running out of puff leaving you in a dangerous predicament?

Mine always surprises me when I go for a quick overtake - it pulls well from 3krpm all the way to 6k in a nice smooth manner.

I had a 265bhp Impreza before and the overtaking ability of that was immense, it was relative light (flimsy), the Z is probably a bit slower but with the power delivery being a lot smoother it makes me more confident in going for it, and I think a bit safer.

I don't think it will replace the performance of a high bhp turbo supra but you might find you prefer the way it delivers it. My choice for getting was because I wanted a big N/A engine as opposed to a blown 2.0 and I don't regret it. Although I do miss the 4wd - but that's probably because I'm not experienced with 270bhp and RWD.

Where are you based? :thumbs:

Right on the Sussex coast in St-Leonards, i did put up a post in the introductions page asking if anyone around my area would take me out or let me drive a 350, but nothing so far, big ask i guess, and none of the dealers around this way seem to have any.

I would have thought if you look for a meet someone would be only too happy to oblige.

I'm down in Oxted next Saturday having some ECU work done, about an hour from you.

But my car isn't stock, so wouldn't help in that respect.

Ace cafe meet in October or Modified Live at Snetterton might be good opportunities. :thumbs:

Where are you based? :thumbs:

Right on the Sussex coast in St-Leonards, i did put up a post in the introductions page asking if anyone around my area would take me out or let me drive a 350, but nothing so far, big ask i guess, and none of the dealers around this way seem to have any.

I would have thought if you look for a meet someone would be only too happy to oblige.

I'm down in Oxted next Saturday having some ECU work done, about an hour from you.

But my car isn't stock, so wouldn't help in that respect.

Ace cafe meet in October or Modified Live at Snetterton might be good opportunities. :thumbs:

I was just about to say that yours probably pulls a bit better than most Martin :lol:

A stockish Zed isn't a 500hp beast, but it's no slouch either.

Everyone that is even mildly into cars that I've had in the car has been impressed with the immediate torque, and delivery and being shoved firmly back in their seat with a little pedal action. A 350's torque is very linear, as has been said many times here and most other 350 forums, you look at the speedo, and oops, slightly off the juice pedal. :D

You might have more luck going along for a ride with someone now people are back from the Hoon and back to normal.

A stockish Zed isn't a 500hp beast, but it's no slouch either.

Everyone that is even mildly into cars that I've had in the car has been impressed with the immediate torque, and delivery and being shoved firmly back in their seat with a little pedal action. A 350's torque is very linear, as has been said many times here and most other 350 forums, you look at the speedo, and oops, slightly off the juice pedal. :D

You might have more luck going along for a ride with someone now people are back from the Hoon and back to normal.

Sounds similar to the Supra engine in its power delivery (turbo aside) perhaps i won't be too disappointed then :) I'm trying to slow myself down a bit anyway.

Hey Tricky

Having once being the very proud owner of a mkiv supra I can tell you that for one they are both fantastic cars.

I loved my Supra dearly and still look at ones for sale, including your bad boy !!!! I dont think a standard Zed is going to give you the same power that you have had from the Supra, the Supra is an amazing piece of machinery, in my opinion there is very little difference in them, they both make me smile and they both have big torqueeeee engines that I love. Unfortunately the Supra is getting a bit dated now but if they ever bring this new one out I will be very tempted to own one once again.

Get yourself to a meet or a dealer and test drive one :thumbs:

We did a drag meet a few years back and we invited some of the Supra club here along. Two in particular that turned up both very heavily worked pushing around 700hp + at the shoes, were doing only very marginally over 11's (as they weren't caged). So can understand where you're coming from. Also one of my mates had a fairly worked GTR Supra (quite sort after here), turbo's were quite brutal when they kicked in. When he's been in my car he was impressed with the linear delivery and the instant torque and wanted a drive. Didn't get to drive though. :lol:

You'll have to give us some feedback when you find one to take for a spin/test drive. ;)

We did a drag meet a few years back and we invited some of the Supra club here along. Two in particular that turned up both very heavily worked pushing around 700hp + at the shoes, were doing only very marginally over 11's (as they weren't caged). So can understand where you're coming from. Also one of my mates had a fairly worked GTR Supra (quite sort after here), turbo's were quite brutal when they kicked in. When he's been in my car he was impressed with the linear delivery and the instant torque and wanted a drive. Didn't get to drive though. :lol:

You'll have to give us some feedback when you find one to take for a spin/test drive. ;)

Yes as soon as i can find one i will gladly give my thoughts on a direct comparison drive :thumbs:

Yeah! the biggest problem with big power RWD cars is traction, Supras are not really a 0-60/dragstrip type cars, there mid to hight speed grunt is where the excel, i enjoy the look of shear joy/terror from a passenger who wants to experience what a single turboed Supra is like on rolling acceleration.

However i bet the 350 gets the power down better and cam make a slightly quicker quarter?

Going on from my "supra PX thread" now that hackles are down :) i am interested in the old V new aspect and also it has been mentioned that quite a few seem to view the R34GTR Skyline as an upgrade from the 350Z, (which is what i presume bronzee means in the quote :) )

Yes i do agree that the Supra is now a rather dated design, but i also think that of all the Skyline family,

even the R34 is an older design, abet with a lot electronic of bells and whistles to make it tame on the R34, having driven a few Skylines, i would advise as i was, to have a drive first, i suspect that some may well be disappointed in comparison,

I was surprised at some of the comments that the Supra is a direct competitor to the 300ZX, although both are 3 litre twin turbo, that is where all the similarities end, but i guess you need to drive both to better understand my point;)

Also i was surprised at the comment about the interior of the Supra as IMO it is one of the best laid out i have seen, and feels like being in an aircraft cockpit, and i have to say in all honesty that it is far better quality and fit than either the skyline or the 350Z (sorry thats not just being derogatory either)

Now to me the logical upgrade i would presume would be the new R35 Skyline or the 307Z as they have all the design ques of the 350Z and so should appeal in the looks and the tech department?

love the new concept supra ( FT HS) just have to see if they build it, that and the new honda NSX, theres some proper interesting cars in the next 3 years, will have to see if one of them is a worthy Zed replacement for me.

Unfortunately the whole new Supra thing is on and off more than the pros proverbial knickers, and so is the engine choice, N/A, hybrid, supercharged etc, and i think the projected price is over the 100K mark :wacko:

The NSX look more realistic.

The NSX has been cancelled?

Imho the Z doesnt light fires in any straight line situation but as people have said its very responsive and handles well, i find it a little unstable on the brakes and its still no match for a smaller car (like the CRX :ban: )

However it definitly looks the part, is comfortable, makes that beatiful noise when you push the loud pedal

Id say if you are looking for comparisons on an acceleration scale id look at 330Ci sport's

Things like R33 GTSt's, impreza's and probably mildly tuned 200sx's imho would pull away from you

Depends on where and when you are comparing really, i know from having over 500 from my supra that its rare you can use more than a few gears before you have to slow it down

Unstable on the brakes! that sounds a little worrying, i think its the heavy well planted feeling that i like about the Supra, i had a 350BHP 200SX S14 before that, and i always found that to be a little on the twitchy/unstable side, i can get the Supra around corners far quicker than i could the S14 for that very reason.

350's arn't exciting in a straight line if your coming from any Jap turbo car. Ive had Evo's and Skylines before and they are insane, but the 350 whilst slower in a straight line and also round the bends just feels lovely. The seating position the N/A factor and the smooth acceleration all heighten the pleasure, i bought a Z before when i wasn't doing well in work and as soon as i got a decent pay rise i went back to an Evo, within a few months i was missing the looks the Z got the sound and more importantly the way it flows round bends.

Personally i would say if your after speed a Z isnt going to do it but as a driver experience ive not had better. :teeth: