Steering Wheel Adjustment

rogerxp

I've already had a bit of a moan over the 350Z steering wheel in my earlier post (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25395) and think I've now realised what's causing my most of the issues. It's not necessarily the size or thickness (although it is too big & thin) but it's the fact that I can't adjust it forwards and backwards i.e. the reach.

When I'm turning a corner and my hand, whilst still holding the wheel, passes over the top, i.e. 12 o'clock position, I'm having to stretch my fingers to keep hold of the wheel. It's too far away and there's no 'reach' adjustment, only up and down. I am right here aren't I and I'm not missing something completely obvious :blush: ???

Anyway, is there any way of permanently changing the steering wheel position i.e. a block or 'donut' that would be attached behind the wheel and bring it out a centimetre or two???

Tried searching but can't find anything. Surely it's not rocket science this as it's a MAJOR oversight by Nissan :rant: . I understand even the 370Z hasn't got reach adjustment for the steering wheel :bangin: !!!

Oh, hadn't thought about moving the seat or seat back :bangin: . Thanks guys. B**stards :p !!!

I'm fairly average size, 5ft 8in, and all in proportion (at least I think so) it's just annoying (and in this day & age crazy on Nissan's part) that my legs are either too close to the pedals or arms too far away from the wheel, unless of course I'm sat upright like I'm at church.

Anyway, just wondering whether anything simple could be done but due to the electical connections my idea is obviously a no-go.

Thanks for your input (I think!!!)

Been looking at a few replacement steering wheels but don't really want to change the OEM feel and lose the wheel controls (not that I use them much) but it is certainly an option.

I'll also have to keep tweaking the seat adjustments as others seem happy so maybe it's me. Still can't get over no reach adjustment though; seems such an elementary oversight by Nissan.

I am 5ft 9'' and I found the driving position pretty perfect in the Z.

The correct seating position should be having your waist both rest on 12 o'clock on the steering wheels with both hand straight and when you drive your hand should be always at 3 and 9 position, You might think you are sitting far too close but trust me this is the proper racing driver sitting position :thumbs:

why not chamge the seats then? if you wanna keep the wheel just look at aftermarket electric or manually adjustable seats, each brand will sit differently and through maybe sitting in other peoples seats in they're zed if you can find one you might be sorted!

Think yourself lucky, i'm 6'5" and my hair brushes the ceiling, my legs are too bent and the wheel almost rubbing on my thighs (i'm no fat bastard though! lol) but i decided to put up with it til i fit different seats to drop me further down and back