What exactly is the corroding on the RAYS alloys?

TPO

Yup agree - usual stuff!

Unfortunately I've had this with Toyota's a lot, Suzuki have the same but my RX -8 had no issues what so ever !! Should'nt be an issue just get them back to Nissan.

The topcoat is'nt very good on Jap alloys - especially as a lot of the designs have a sharp edge - the paint is thinest there and its easily efected by our Salted roads as Chris has mentions - the paint lifts and off you go! :thumbdown:

it's not just the Jap alloys that suffer from corrosion , I have had Porsche alloys corrode very badly and the wheels on my Merc CLK55 are going along the inner edges, so I think it is just down to the salt etc used on UK roads coupled with stone chips :surrender:

it's not just the Jap alloys that suffer from corrosion , I have had Porsche alloys corrode very badly and the wheels on my Merc CLK55 are going along the inner edges, so I think it is just down to the salt etc used on UK roads coupled with stone chips :surrender:

Yeah, stone chips through the laquer/finish will kill any wheel. The problem with Rays is they do this where seemingly the finish hasnt been broken :thumbdown:

You only ever cleaned them with water.

They have never been refurbished before.

You clean the car regularly.

:)

I've only had the car a week! And from looking at the nearside front last night I think that's been refurbished, there's a chip out of the tyre next to an uneven section of rim...have to look pretty closely to see it (more feel than sight). I was putting on the Autoglym Alloy Wheel Sealant I got yesterday to try it out, but the wheels need a proper clean and polish on the inside.

Judging by the number of small scratches (and the cigarette smell) it wasn't an enthusiast who owned it before :yuck:

Thanks for the warning Nixy - I'm hoping Ancaster will sort me out given Jerry's recommendation - they're not the closest to me but none of the local Nissan garages seem to be well regarded!

EDIT - Spoke to Ancaster, the fella (forgot to get a name) gave me a test to do to check the clicking axle to rule out the brake pads moving being the source of the sound, and explained that they'd have to photo the corrosion and rebook to have any work done which is more than fair. I gave a couple of plugs of the forum too :)

howdy stranger, you ok Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Had my rays replaced under warranty by Beadles of Aylesford. That included one alloy that had been refurbished. The dealership take pics and send them to Nissan. You get a response about 4-5 weeks later.

Good luck with your claim.

Incidentally my brother BMW Z4 had its alloys replaced too so seems fairly common on many cars.

I was talking to my local wheel place about this the other day. The problem is that the Jap ones just arent designed with the English weather in mind and the laquer and paint can be quite thin. They were happy that having the wheels powdercoated in the UK with paint/laquer designed for our roads, should see them last longer ;)

I was talking to my local wheel place about this the other day. The problem is that the Jap ones just arent designed with the English weather in mind and the laquer and paint can be quite thin.

+1 Lexus had a huge problem with the salt on our roads especially with the IS200 alloys which they changed under warranty by the shed load.

I was talking to my local wheel place about this the other day. The problem is that the Jap ones just arent designed with the English weather in mind and the laquer and paint can be quite thin.

+1 Lexus had a huge problem with the salt on our roads especially with the IS200 alloys which they changed under warranty by the shed load.

Yep, thing is, Lexus didn't mess about. You drove in, they said 'we'll change the wheels for you sir' then they would come and pick the car up and you'd get it delivered back cleaned (if you wanted) with something nice on the passenger seat like a T shirt, bottle of wine, golf vouchers or something else nice. Oh and it didn't really matter if it was in warranty either!

I gave up trying to claim for Rays as Nissan were crap.

No wonder Lexus keep winning the JDPower customer surveys then!

Indeed a combination fo rock solide engineering and good service - simple idea really why don't others follow it!! :lol:

Personally I had the same levels of service from toyota when I had my MR2 Roadster - I had the alloys replaced under warranty even though I had kerbed one of them - they said dont worry as the rest were corroded (only slightly btw) they would replace the set :D

Warranty on the wheels is up to 3 years I believe - I am a different owner and that wasn't mentioned or asked by Ancaster, they just said they took photos and will let me know.

So my assumption is that it's fully transferable, as I'd expect!

-TPO.