How good is the traction control?

goatboy

Right I'm considering my move to a Z coming from a VX220.

One of the reasons I am thinking about the change is the fact I am a rubbish driver :lol: and the way a VX220 works in the wet. I haven't had any moments on the road but doing some driver training I know I can loose the backend of the VX very easily, therefore I'm always pretty careful to the point of I don't get much enjoyment from the car when the rain starts...

Now I know the 350z is a big power RWD car so has to be treated with respect in the wet (or the dry for that matter), but how good is the traction control? there seems to be quite a few folk on here slipping into kurbs and doing damage at low speeds.

Do they have traction off or do they not confess what they were really doing? I would expect the computer to be catching low speed incidents? Or is it not actually very good?

On the test drive I went on the other day the traction kicked in coming off a roundabout so it must work to some extent?

Any thoughts?

I find the VDC great but traction Control cr*p. I run with the TC off unless it is wet as my K&W coilovers and 275/35 falkens keep me pretty well planted :D

Safety wise though it all works well together and unless you have the systems turned off it will be a pretty safe car in the wet :)

I think the people that have had accidents on here (all coming off roundabouts strangely) had the TC off

+1 with husky! If your having a little "aggressive" drive and you have it turned on then you know about it! I have found it helps your driving as you dont want it to kick in so if you can drive agressivly without it coming on then your driving better and within the limits of the car..

Looking back on it it has saved me a few times...

Its hard to judge on the others having accidents as you dont know the conditions etc etc and there are variables.. ie distance from the kerb when it hit it, what was on the road to make it slip? There is no TC that will help you if you hit some spilt oil / diesel on the road...

Drove round the circuits at the millbrook proving ground and it only came on when it was really needed... ie when I got out of line!

I think the TC in the zed is very poor.

My main gripe is that its very slow to react... if i lose the back end, i'll have already corrected the problem with a bit of opposite lock before the TC kicks in, and then it throws you the other way and you cant handle it. My bmw before was much much quicker coming in to save me!

Put it this way, if you can drive a VX220 in the wet....you can drive the zed.

I am still get used to it..... I moved from a FWD 110BHP golf to a ~300bhp RWD zed. I have a little experience tracking a caterham, S2 elise and have driven a VX220 too, but the zed is quite heavy and planted.

I had a moment yesterday on a roundabout at 35mph in the really bad rain and bad road surface when I felt the back end start to come out....the TC kicked in and straightened it up.

I find the zed very to bring back even if you need to correct the back end

I think the TC in the zed is very poor.

My main gripe is that its very slow to react... if i lose the back end, i'll have already corrected the problem with a bit of opposite lock before the TC kicks in, and then it throws you the other way and you cant handle it. My bmw before was much much quicker coming in to save me!

I thought this was by design not the lack of effectiveness...

Imo the standard setup on bridgestones in the wet requires the TC to be on, with improved suspension/wheels/rubber i find i have the TC turned off all the time and have far more grip, standard layout/design of the 350z chassis is excellent, just let down a little with the standard suspension/tyres

Cheers all, I think this is what I wanted to hear! :D

Driving like an idiot in bad weather is just, well, idiotic anyway. but its nice to have some electrons to help you if you do get it wrong.

Whats the difference between VDC and traction by the way? (pressume traction stops you spinning the wheels and VDC helps control a slide, braking independant wheels and all that good stuff). Search won't let me search for 3 letters only :bang:

I think a lot of it's down to tyre choice too. When i first got mine it was on falkens which were fine in the dry but i didn't find them very good in the wet. Others may disagree but i'm on bridgestone re50a's now and it's a lot harder to come unstuck.

The standard system is fine but it doesn't make the car 4WD nor does it defy the laws of physics so it should be viewed as an aid and not a saviour. :)

+1 indeed wise words - the car is a very well planted machine however any contaminants like diesel or oil on the road will trip you up if not careful as already mentioned.

My handling improved by changing to Falkens from the boggo Bridgestones. During the snow months I had to switch ESP off to move it off the estate but would NEVER EVER switch it off as a rule - not that I am a weed or anything I just dont want to end up in a ditch! :lol:

i think its crap :thumbdown: almost dangerous, kills of the power and makes the car unstable. Keep it off and learn how to drive the car and know where you have it :thumbs:

(start off where you dont have any objects in the way)

I was surprised how quick it bites you the 1st time I took her out for a wee play :dance:

Well I prefer it off myself Im pretty confident in a car and usually know what to do when it steps out of line (usually inflicted by myself and held as long as pos) but for anyone who doesnt know, if the brake light switch is activated (the middle pedal pushed down slightly) all the electronic systems are activated again, kind of a failsafe, try it in a wet carpark, get the car into a drift then touch the brake pedal n see what happens :drive1

Personally id be keep the vx till the winter then change, get yourself on a drive training day somewhere, you will lean loads and really get to grips with your car more, Ive had a mk1 elise & mk2 elise so I can feel for you a bit in the wet, a bit scary sometimes

Well I prefer it off myself Im pretty confident in a car and usually know what to do when it steps out of line (usually inflicted by myself and held as long as pos) but for anyone who doesnt know, if the brake light switch is activated (the middle pedal pushed down slightly) all the electronic systems are activated again, kind of a failsafe, try it in a wet carpark, get the car into a drift then touch the brake pedal n see what happens :drive1

Personally id be keep the vx till the winter then change, get yourself on a drive training day somewhere, you will lean loads and really get to grips with your car more, Ive had a mk1 elise & mk2 elise so I can feel for you a bit in the wet, a bit scary sometimes

Didnt know about the failsafe stuff! As a rally trainer told me last weekend... NEVER TOUCH THE BRAKE while in a slide! :thumbs:

Didnt know about the failsafe stuff! As a rally trainer told me last weekend... NEVER TOUCH THE BRAKE while in a slide! :thumbs:

I never would, andrew walsh (LOT) told me about it. Clever stuff but shouldnt be used as it will get you into bad habbits. Jump into another car and ................smash :lol:

I never would, andrew walsh (LOT) told me about it. Clever stuff but shouldnt be used as it will get you into bad habbits. Jump into another car and ................smash :lol:

:lol:B)

i think its crap :thumbdown: almost dangerous, kills of the power and makes the car unstable. Keep it off and learn how to drive the car and know where you have it :thumbs:

Also the better your tyres are, the less often you loose traction anyway. ;);)

Also the better your tyres are, the less often you loose traction anyway. ;);)

A better right foot will have you loosing traction less too ;)

TBH I think you should always have TC on when on public roads. You should never be planning to loose traction on the public roads and you cant be 100% on it all the time daily driving. When that time comes, TC will save you. The amount of members that have binned it without TC on vs on is testiment to that.