Advice - what if dealer says £300 "may" fix the pr

douglasr

I had my car in the dealers recently to have them look at a clunking noise from the suspension. They tightened the suspension mounts as per TSB088 and checked the car over, but could not find anything wrong. Driving away from the dealers, the clunk remained (on broken surfaces).

They have quoted £296 to replace the anti-roll bar drop links front and rear as this "may" fix the problem. My question is, if I authorise the work and the clunk remains, where do I stand? I'll be a bit p*ssed off if I have to pay for work they have recommended and it’s not fixed the problem.

I have trawled this forum and the only other potential problem is a suspension control arm. Advice on dealing with the dealer appreciated...

Personally I would ask them to check out the control arms and if they will come back and say they are fine and it subsequently transpires they are faulty then the problem will be theirs for mis-diagnosis of the fault. (they are the experts after all)

Sorry its maybe a backhand way of apportioning blame at the dealers door but believe me if you pay to have the anti-roll bar bushes/links replaced and this is not the cause they will be quick to charge you more. :boxing:

I know from experience as i had both control arms replaced and they appear to be a weakness in the Z. as is the rear antiroll bar bushes and drop links. :rant:

The droplinks are circa £35 each and you should be able to fit them yourself or a local independant could help :thumbs: