B.P do 99 Ron or 98??

jerry3167

at the end of the day tesco, shell saisburies, texaco etc all get their fule from the same depot, its just what and how they mix it.

However this makes a big difference ;) the zed is design for high RON fuel (100RON) which is readily available in the JDM 0r germany, so to make stated power or avoid the loss thereof by using lower octane fuel it makes sense to go as high as possible.

Currently only Tesco and BP do this and i use both at every opportunity! BP is overpriced when you consider it only a 97RON and the rest is crap because the fuel is stale or has crap additives !!

There was an independent controlled test on EVO magazine a while back, comparing the popular ultimate fuels from all the big players and Tesco 99 was tops :thumbs:

You also have the added advantage of 5p off if you spend £50 or above instore and collecting plus points;)

Shell v-power club points can be exchanged for airmiles or other stuff but i have to say unless you spend more time at their pumps you are never going to fly anywhere meaningful in a hurry :thumbdown:

the only thing i struggle to see in any of these fuels is more mileage for unit volume :dry:

I can honestly say the difference between normal unleaded & vpower in my car is 3mpg

I'm more than happy with that. I have used Tesco 99 with 1mpg less than vpower

But will only use it if there is not a shell garage available.

Unfortunately I know too much of what goes on with the main line company's :thumbdown:

the figures iv seen for the 350 state 31.5mpg expected using v power i average 34mpg on a 75mph motorway run and up2 38 mpg at 60mph. This drops by about 0.5-1 mpg with bp bt no real dif for economy when u get it on twisties.

That's pretty damn good, I thought I was a canny driver for fuel economy :lol:

My best is 31mpg @ 75mph & 33 mpg @ 60mph. My trip computer is exactly 1mpg out when working out with calculator ie, 4.546 litres = 1gallon in old money so to speak :D

Let's be honest pretty good for a V6,No complaints :thumbs:

:drive1

I use Shell V Power as a rule but if I am in Sainsburys shopping and need some fuel when I am there, I will fill up with their 97 Super Unleaded. Likewise, if I am in Tesco will fill up with their's. :thumbs:

the figures iv seen for the 350 state 31.5mpg expected using v power i average 34mpg on a 75mph motorway run and up2 38 mpg at 60mph. This drops by about 0.5-1 mpg with bp bt no real dif for economy when u get it on twisties.

38mpg????? I think someone put a bigger engine in my zed, or I am too heavy footed!!!

39 is the best i have got out of mine on a small run, and that was driving like a total pussy! But i havent reset my average mpg for about 6 weeks now, and it just stays between 21-22mpg on 99ron V Power. Its not possible to keep it in the 30s around town.

i got 56mpg out of mine once! (although probably lasted less than a minute!! :lol: ) but have seen 40+ a few times too! but was fannying about at 50 on the way to the GF's when i got 56mpg - do have a photo to prove this on my phone too -because i am that cool :blush:

I mostly use Tesco 99 cos its closer to me than the other brands + heard good things.....ish

Jak

I always use Tesco 99, you can really feel the diference between that and BP's crappy ultimate. Revs harder and faster. Shell V-Power is the only other fuel will use. As far as economy is concerned I cant get more than 21 mpg out of mine, and I have never put regular unleaded in, so I have no idea what the gain is.

Tesco 99 or V-Power only...stay away from BP as its expensive and lower quality.

Pro's Tesco

- Higher RON - smoother transition of petrol to power output (supposedly)

Pro's V-Power

- Supposedly cleaner and therefore looks after your car in the long term more

BP

- A wannabe :thumbdown:

I always use Tesco 99, you can really feel the diference between that and BP's crappy ultimate. Revs harder and faster. Shell V-Power is the only other fuel will use. As far as economy is concerned I cant get more than 21 mpg out of mine, and I have never put regular unleaded in, so I have no idea what the gain is.

My best is 31mpg @ 75mph & 33 mpg @ 60mph. My trip computer is exactly 1mpg out when working out with calculator ie, 4.546 litres = 1gallon in old money so to speak :D

I'm a bit snowed under at work at the moment, but you can help me out with my workload if you want given you obviously have so much spare time on your hands :p:lol:

Didn't someone once say that the bio ethanol additive in the Tesco's petrol wasn't good for the Zed? Makes my Zed sound more throaty :teeth:

In all honesty it's unlikely most of us will keep the Zed long enough for the tiny differences in fuel to make any difference to our cars whatsoever. Put in whatever you want, drive as hard/soft as you like and revel in the fact you're driving one of the finest sports cars of the last decade :thumbs:

shell v power is 98 bp ultimate is 97 and shell is generally cheaper in my experience some people on here say tesco do a 99 octane but i havent checked yet

Shell Optimax (the old super they used to do) was 98. Shell V Power is 99ron. I personally use Tesco 99, far cheaper than BP and Shell. BP Ultimate is 97 so would never use anything less than 98 as it's not recommended and not a good idea due to high risk of pinking. If I didn't use Tesco 99 I'd use Shell V Power.

BP did say they were going to start selling 100ron I believe or even slightly higher although that was ages ago so suspect it was only rumour and didn't ever materialise.

I'm a bit snowed under at work at the moment, but you can help me out with my workload if you want given you obviously have so much spare time on your hands :p:lol:

Didn't someone once say that the bio ethanol additive in the Tesco's petrol wasn't good for the Zed? Makes my Zed sound more throaty :teeth:

Have worked out my mpg for more years than I will admit, it's the best way to check your fuel gauge is accurate :yawn:

You will get less mpg using Supermarket fuel than the main line companies due to their additive injection rate at source :thumbdown:

A bit technical but true, worked with them for over 20yrs.

As my original post their is only one fuel to buy to get the best of both worlds ie Performance, Engine wear & tear + fuel economy :thumbs:

:drive1