I think my car has surface rust on every panel ???

I'd be amazed if claying does remove the rust particles. I would of said the car needed a full correction!! Lets hope i'm wrong. One problem i can envisage is, if the clay lifts out the particles, they will scratch the paintwork as you drag the clay bar along. So i think you should keep it confined to small areas and keep folding the clay over.

What would a pro detailler do differently though? They'd clay it out too! Just need to polish it out afterwards!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be amazed if claying does remove the rust particles. I would of said the car needed a full correction!! Lets hope i'm wrong. One problem i can envisage is, if the clay lifts out the particles, they will scratch the paintwork as you drag the clay bar along. So i think you should keep it confined to small areas and keep folding the clay over.

What would a pro detailler do differently though? They'd clay it out too! Just need to polish it out afterwards!

Well once he's clayed the car, it might end up getting covered in light scratches, so it would need machining, imo.

Well once he's clayed the car, it might end up getting covered in light scratches, so it would need machining, imo.

I'd still give it a go and see, and if it needs a machine polish after, get a pro in. You can take out light swirls by hand with the right products, just takes a lot longer than by machine. Depending on where the OP lives, he might be able to borrow a members DA polisher, I know a few have one inc me :)

its why they reccommend on the meguairs range to do it in 3 stages,

1. clay - removes contaminantes

2. polish - corrects any marks left by the clay (although i've never noticed it do it.)

3. wax. - seal the paint work and replenish nutrients to the paint.

Right, I cracked on today and it took me a little over 5 hours to get the job done. The clay method that I'd never heard of is awesome. Unbelievable that it would take so much junk off my paintwork. Not sure even now what all those thousands of tiny dark dots were, but reckon now they could've been tarmac as a lot of road surfacing has gone on around here for months now. Not a single scratch or mark left from the cleaning!!! :yahoo:

Started with a rigorous wash and wax with a firm sponge, than the painstaking hours of clay block and spray, then a very healthy layer of liquid wax.

It's never looked so good :teeth: Until it rained this afternoon and my car got sprayed with dirt. The water droplets were rolling off like small ball bearings!

Thanks for the advice. :thumbs: