I think my car has surface rust on every panel ???

I polished my car today for around 3-4 hours, so have been up close and personal with all sections. I noticed a horrendous amount of stone chips on my lower door panels, front and rear bumpers, and my bonnet. Not pleased.

I always use a wash and wax with rust inhibitor or triple wax, and my car gets covered with a breathable cover frequently.

What has upset me is that the entire car besides the plastic bumpers seems to have lots of tiny little rusty dots that I've only found after polishing the panels up.

Every time I drag a cloth along a panel, the polish drags around a tiny spec of rust and leaves a little mark that I chase with the cloth! :scare:

Is this common on the 350 ? As I am completely un-impressed.

Certainly be contacting Nissan on Monday :(

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. Doesn't even shift with T-cut metallic paint restorer. You can see small dark spots when you put your eyes up close.

Dont use t-cut on it mate :scare: use a clay bar over the whole car, sure it will remove most spots, dont forget to wax after polish :thumbs:

something we find that happens with range rover sports is that the Mahooosive brembos produce alot of brake dust that tends to whip up the side of the car and sticks like glue. its very hard to get off but with patience and as before mentioned a clay bar you should be quids in :thumbs: hopefully its not rust :surrender:

Absolutely. Doesn't even shift with T-cut metallic paint restorer. You can see small dark spots when you put your eyes up close.

Dont use t-cut on it mate :scare: use a clay bar over the whole car, sure it will remove most spots, dont forget to wax after polish :thumbs:

yep, a clay bar will sort it. I had exactly the same problem with my old boxster looked like tiny little rust dots, almost like sanded metal had been left on the surface to rust......no amount of polishing and cutting compound would remove it.

A Megs clay bar kit sorted it out with a couple of nice layers of DoDo over the top....it never came back after that.

its possible that there is slight oxidization in the paint, as it will happen to any paint over time. think of paint not as a smooth surface but more like your skin it is covered in little pores,; as time passes these fill up with dirt and oxidize hence when you run your hand over it, it feels a bit rough. easiest cure is a clay-bar, it will lift the oxidization out and leave the paint pores clear to fill with a nice wax. this will them protect the paint and stop any further build up of oxidization. so when you run your hand over it; it will feel like glass. look at the advertising for paint guard, it uses a similar process but lasts a lot longer.

i think mine has the odd spot but then its due its 6 month clay-bar treatment about now anyway

Sounds to me like contaminants. If the panel was rusting the paint would lift up and off first. Try using a clay bar as suggested, I bet it will take it off. The fact that you say polish seems to smear it (chase??) sounds like tree sap to me, as thats exactly what polish does to it. Clay bar will lift if off :thumbs:

The polish only highlights the small circles that are raised ever so slightly. You can see where the polish leaves marks/lines around them.

No bubbles or lifting anywhere on my car. I'm probably being anal about it, but it definately looks like the early stages of surface corrosion, I put this down to lots and lots of surface gravel/stone chips etc.

My car is only just over three years old so I shouldn't expect this at all!

Mainly on the roof and bonnet and some more (but less) on the doors.

And I have a tree in my front garden but it's a small one.

Why is T-cut nasty? I thought it was for removing surface marks in your lacquer?

No I live in a cul-de-sac and only one guy has the right of way past my house, he works on-line from home so no metal cutting. Ant I do is away from the house anyway.

I wonder if this is some shite that's been stuck in the paint from the previous owner who owned her for her first year?

Either way if I can't sort this out it's off to the bodyshop on my credit card for some expertise. And some high interest payments :wacko:

wonder wtf this is then. Won't rub off or pick off with a nail soaked in polish? (finger nail not a steel one).

What is this 'clay bar' then and is this available from any car shop?

get down to halfrauds or order it on line, you can get the meguairs clay-bar kit, which consists of a bar of clay and a lubricant spray. you basically fold the clay till its warm and pliable. then spray the lube on the car, and rub it with the clay. the clay lifts the contaminates off the paint and restores the paint to a glass like smoothness. when clay is dirty just fold in half and continue with a clean side. once you've been over the car once if it still feels rough in spots then clay again. any swirl marks after can then be polished and then a good coating of a good qualify carnuba wax based product should seal it all up and make it feel like the paint is magnetically charges and your finger should just glide across as if its almost not touching.

please don't use t-cut its far too abrasive for the very thin paint that nissan decided to wave at the car. its like nissan got the 350z sprayed by gnats with blow pipes

clay, its the answer. after using it i have decided i will now clay my windows, whole house, driveway, infact anything that now requires cleaning will be clayed including the dog and myself cos its so good ;) Clay, clay clay clay.