Broadband Suppliers - Sky vs Be vs O2

Rob_Quads

OK - Any recommendations on which supplier to go with. Has to be one of the three as I am looking for an LLU ADSL2+ supplier. Moving away from Bulldog (Pipex/Tiscali) as they have now limited my connection from what I had before.

Sky looks good as its truely unlimited and best price for the 20MB

O2 - Can get due to my iPhone contract

Be - Know they do 24MB and heard good things but more expensive.

if you cant get vigin i would say go for O2 only if you are in one of thier special areas, i dont know if this is based on fibre optic though. the standard O2 isnt the greatest offer though. i went for plusnet as they cater for gamers and downloaders :ninja:

What about Virgin,they use fibre optic and are supposed to be the fastest.

But it depends if they do it in your area,I can't get it.

Virgin are no good due to their bandwidth limiting & shaping. To get around that you have to go for the XXL package which is £35 vs Skys £15.

Another one with plusnet here.

I thought Be were bought out by O2?

Be use O2 lines and hardware but are still being run as a separate company (no plans to merge the companies as far as I know)

Oh ok. I thought it was the other way around. I thought Be had the lines, and O2 bought them. Havent been in the loop for a while though :blush:

EDIT: This is what I remember happening - http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/ ... 459,00.htm

From Be's website:

Who are Be?

Be was set up as a privately-owned, independent ISP (Internet Service Provider) in October 2004 and started trading in August 2005. We are very pleased that as of June 2006, we have become part of a much larger group, having been bought by O2.

Who owns Be?

In June 2006, Be became a part of the O2 group. O2 comprises mobile network operators in the UK and Ireland, along with integrated fixed/mobile businesses in Germany and the Czech Republic (Cesky Telecom). O2 is a Telefónica company with more than 35 million customers across Europe.

Just make sure that the one you chose has a statement in the contract or on the web page that they will NOT be making use of PHORM as a partner. This company (run by former spyware people) looks at ALL of your web activity and modifies the adverts you receive based on the browsing habits of your IP address.

BT have just dropped them as a partner (As have Talk Talk)because they were losing lots of business because of it.

Virgin say they are still looking at the technology involved.

This interception of your web traffic is illegal.

There's a lot more about it here http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=phorm&site=&psite=0

The Phorm thing is an interesting one - baring it being illegal nothing wrong with the concept - you get similar when you go on google i.e. the ads are taylored to what searches you do - when you go to many sites the adverts are tailored to the products which match the type of area you are reading etc.

After nearly convincing myself O2 are the ones to go for (via quidco) i've just seen Virgin are about to reduce to XXL 50MB down to 28 which means I would only be paying a fraction more than I currently am but would be able to do much more i.e. backup all my photos online reliably (local backup is fine but if there was a fire).

Thoughts thoughts

i use O2 and have to say they have been fantastic, good products are great but can be let down by customer services. i've found that O2's has been brilliant. they had everything to the house from order to delivery in 2 days. we had an issue with the first box and i had a new one within 24 hours. if you ring them with a problem your almost directly through and you speak to an english person. the service ahs been faultless the router that is supplied has been excellent, setup was a a piece of cake. couldn't be happier.

as a comparision i have used orange broadband and that was rubbish, and setupa nightmare. and have seen my dad use BT i get an equal service with unlimited downloads and pay £10 less and he is limited to so many Gigs a month.

i run 2 pc's wii, xbox 360 and 2 laptops and they all run fine. we're only on there local setup don't get mega performance as our area hasn't been unbundled but we are usually getting about 5-8 meg and regular download speeds of nearly 300kbps. once our area is unbundled it should be even faster. but it suits me down to the ground.

have heard mixed reviews of sky

and never heard of B

Virgin are apparently only good if your on their fibre optics setup, and that just seems to be high density urban places at the moment.

I'm with Sky and paying a fiver a month. If you have the sky tv package you can get their lowest broadband free :thumbs:

We have 3 laptops, ps3 and wii running through it with no problems whatsoever.

I'm looking for the fast connection. I regular maxed out a 13MB connection previously

O2 are good , but you'll need to check with them if your local exchange has been unbundled to get their top speeds. if you go to their website for internet you can put your postcode in and they will tell you what you can get. if the exchange isn't unbundled then you'll get there stnadard package (which is what i'm on) like a standard BT line but it has been good.