Best way to dispose of old petrol

nicon2k

Here is a strange one.

Around 10 years ago (when there was a fuel scare) i filled two 5 gallon jerry cans with petrol..............and then totally forgot about it!

Now i need to refill the jerry cans for use this summer but i have no idea what to do with the old petrol.

There is no way in hell and i am putting it in my car and as much fun as a fire sounds, i dont think it would be very safe with 10 gallons......

I have been on the phone to reading council who were only able to tell me about the huge fine i would get if i poured it down the drain!

Anyone got any smart ideas of how to get rid of it safely?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it to a local garage (mechanic type garage) as they have to dispose of old fluids in a controlled way. I'd imagine they'd want a few quid for doing it as they are charged for disposal. Either that or your local council tip as you can normally dispose of old oil there so it's worth asking about petrol.

.........match...........run........

No but seriously mosy local refuse depots will have facilities for disposing of petrols/oils, take it there......in your mates car

Dont think you could run quick enough! Better off with a flaming arrow from a distance or leave a trail of petrol as a fuse :teeth:

Gone down the council/dump route already. While they can dispose of oil they cannot get rid of petrol.

I have also phone a few garages in reading and they have all said that they can only dispose of oil!

i want to have a fire, but i have been burnt before http://208.65.153.238/watch?v=GeRB1p9PVDY

I am the one filming. I sold the rights of the vid to a company called trutv in america. They used it in one of their shows and gave me $1500!

No but seriously mosy local refuse depots will have facilities for disposing of petrols/oils, take it there......in your mates car

Dont think you could run quick enough! Better off with a flaming arrow from a distance or leave a trail of petrol as a fuse :teeth:

More then happy for you to show me how its done chris, your only down the road! :bangin:

i want to have a fire, but i have been burnt before http://208.65.153.238/watch?v=GeRB1p9PVDY

I am the one filming. I sold the rights of the vid to a company called trutv in america. They used it in one of their shows and gave me $1500!

You need some new mates! What a nonse! :bangin:

Funny as **** tho! I love how he runs away from the "Danger" but forgets to let go of the can!

More then happy for you to show me how its done chris, your only down the road! :bangin:

No thanks mate :lol:

What grade is it? It's worth £100 so I reckon buy a £200 beater and tool around in it! :teeth:

One place that might take it is a green keepers or similar as they will have mowers etc to fill up. Surely petrol doesn't degrade over time? It's already millions of years old when it comes out the ground!

I'm pretty sure petrol does degrade but others might know better.

And it's not petrol that comes out the ground. ;)

I know that, but that's what it's base composition is. Old dead stuff! :lol:

10 gallons is about 45 litres. Perhaps a little too much to try burning. You would almost certainly have the fire brigade out setting that lot alight.

Its also got to be good for running lawn mowers/strimmers etc. As above, golf courses, gardening/landscaping companies etc may take it off your hands :)

I beleive all that happens to it over time is the octane rating drops. You might get away using it in lawnmowers etc as the others have suggested. Also try the local firebrigade, they might have a use for it in training!

Depending on how long its been lying it will have gone stale. The high ends in the petrol will have evaporated off lowering your octane level making it harder to ignite plus water will have broken out of the fuel and condensed watering it down. No use for decent engines but will do the job in a lawnmover if you mix it up with some fresh stuff.

R

You know what, I'll ask my others halfs sister as she is an environmental protection officer for the Scottish government.

She might have an idea although you are in Reading!

If they don't want it dyumped then they have to do something...... bloody idiotic!

You would have thought!!!!!! Here is a list of all the places that I have asked today and their response:

Reading Waste management (RE3): "No we can’t dispose of it but please don’t pour it down the drain!"

Shell UK: "None of out petrol stations can take it back. Our advice to you would be to go to a dump, don’t tell anyone what it is, pour it into the oil bin and don’t get caught!"

Reading Fire Service: "No sorry, we can’t use it for training as it is too dangerous"

Various garages in Reading: "No sorry, we can only get rid of oil"

The Reading Borough Petroleum Officer: "Sorry, I only licence the storage of petrol. Try and company called cleansing services"

Cleansing Services: "Unfortunately we collect from any business that produces hazardous waste, as a domestic resident you should be able to take to your local waste site f.o.c. If you are a business then we would charge our minimum charge of £320.00 plus £45.00 documentation plus vat."

I think thats everyone. Out of ideas!

Reading Fire Service: "No sorry, we can’t use it for training as it is too dangerous"

What a bunch of wuss's :surrender: Whats the matter petrol to realistic? :wacko:

So you ring 999 and ask for the Reading fire service to tell them the local shell garage is on fire and they tell you no we cant come as its too dangerous? :lol: