Car Won't Start

Argyll

I've had my car up on axle stands for about a month as the wheels are being refurbished. It hasn't been started since then.

I tried to start it today but all I was getting was the very quick continous clicking noise that suggests to me the battery is dead. It even continued to make a clicking noise after I removed the key!!! The little red light on the steering column is not turning green and I don't know if this is normal if the battery is dead.

What I am really concerned about is if I take the battery off will it reset the Toad Immobiliser/Alarm. I wasn't given the security card from the garage I bought it from. I tried to jump start but no joy.

Am I okay to remove and charge the battery. I don't have much choice I know but thought I'd ask anyway.

Battery dead I'd say.

No idea about the toad thing although I'd say if it was going to act up then it will be by now as what's the difference between a dead battery and no battery? Unless it has it's own supply....

the components in most cars as far as im aware are designed to work down to roughly 9V if it drops below this it highly unlikely the car will start. it doesnt mean theres nothing in the battery though, hence the relay chatter. however if you keep trying to start it it will kill the last remains of charge in the battery and possibly damage it due to it going so low. the alarm system may work below 9v and have kept going, who knows. new battery in and cross your fingers and toes?

Do you think it would start with a jump or do you reckon there wouldn't be enough juice in the battery.

I couldn't jump start mine when the battery died, I just took it off & charged it in the garage :)

what car did you try and jump it off mate coz if its a smaller car with a smaller battery it aint got enough power in it to turn over the zed. just a thought but with ignition on tyry bleeding through some petrol into the engine by putting ur foot on the throttle. this is what i always do when cars wont start for whatever reason. hope this helps and you get it started soon mate.

if i remember correctly the other car should be running decent amount of revs to give its alternator a fighting chance, then it shoud be kept wired up for a period of time at said revs before trying the start. a battery at low charge levels behaves just like a load on the car so if you imagine it as trying to start it with all the lights fans etc on :)

If you hear it clicking when you try and start sounds like the battery is very low. Needs charging. Connect up the jump leads and use the donor car to charge up your battery a bit. Make sure you use good quality, thick, jump leads. You will fry cheap ones :thumbs:

If you hear it clicking when you try and start sounds like the battery is very low. Needs charging. Connect up the jump leads and use the donor car to charge up your battery a bit. Make sure you use good quality, thick, jump leads. You will fry cheap ones :thumbs:

been there done that :lol: funny now, not then :lol: ouch! :angry:

pushing the peadal with the battery dead won't do anyhting as the engine is drive by wire. no power means that it won't throttle. no trottle cable on thsi jap car.

as for jump starting, you'll need a nice diesel unit they're great at jumping cars. run it for about 10 mine connected with about 2500 revs on, should give you enough charge to start. you'll need a 2nd person to sit in the starting car while you turn the zed over. i tend to drop the clutch at the same time.

never tried this on the zed but it worked on my old mr2. couldn't jump it with my wifes 1.6 golf, but my 2.2 diesel would jump it every time, maybe get another zed owner round that would jump it.

pushing the peadal with the battery dead won't do anyhting as the engine is drive by wire. no power means that it won't throttle. no trottle cable on thsi jap car.

as for jump starting, you'll need a nice diesel unit they're great at jumping cars. run it for about 10 mine connected with about 2500 revs on, should give you enough charge to start. you'll need a 2nd person to sit in the starting car while you turn the zed over. i tend to drop the clutch at the same time.

never tried this on the zed but it worked on my old mr2. couldn't jump it with my wifes 1.6 golf, but my 2.2 diesel would jump it every time, maybe get another zed owner round that would jump it.

sound advice, use a range rover :teeth: 220A alternator :teeth: oh and after you get it started leave the jump leads on for a bit with them both running to get the battery good and charged. heres something, ive always used a grounding point for the -ve side to protect ecu's etc, is this neccesary with the zed?

once started after flat battery i have always took the car for a steady run out with everything turned off for a few miles as this gives the alternator a better chance to recharge the battery.

hopefully should recharge ok :)

from what i remember i never did - to - . i think the routine was

1. connect + to dead battery,

2. connect other + end to the live battery.

3. connect - to the live battery

4. connect other - end to metal work in the dead battery car, not the - terminal.

5. start live car. leave running at 2500 revs for 5-10 mins

6. drop clutch turn over engine of dead car. if it won't turn over leave longer.

i think i got steps 3 and 4 the right round

from what i remember i never did - to - . i think the routine was

1. connect + to dead battery,

2. connect other + end to the live battery.

3. connect - to the live battery

4. connect other - end to metal work in the dead battery car, not the - terminal.

5. start live car. leave running at 2500 revs for 5-10 mins

6. drop clutch turn over engine of dead car. if it won't turn over leave longer.

i think i got steps 3 and 4 the right round

:thumbs: remove leads in reverse order.

If you have a BMS (battery monotoring system, i assume z's dont?) its very important you connect through the jump points in the instruction booklet. otherwise you will confuse the ststem as it doesnt know the batteries state. it will slowly recalibrate itslef but you'll get the dash shiny warning lights in the mean time.

best investment i had was getting my dad to buy a trickle charger and then letting me have it first :lol: cost him about £25 from halfrauds, but was great. he needed one anyways for his caravan over winter. as there is a setting on it called top up. so only comes on and stays on while the battery is low. once topped up it goes off.

connect it all up plug in and leave over night. and roberts ya mothers brother ;)

next morning came down turned ignition and hey presto good as new. i didn't disconnect anything to do it and doesn't put the battery or alternator under any stress. great little investment.

best investment i had was getting my dad to buy a trickle charger and then letting me have it first :lol: cost him about £25 from halfrauds, but was great. he needed one anyways for his caravan over winter. as there is a setting on it called top up. so only comes on and stays on while the battery is low. once topped up it goes off.

connect it all up plug in and leave over night. and roberts ya mothers brother ;)

next morning came down turned ignition and hey presto good as new. i didn't disconnect anything to do it and doesn't put the battery or alternator under any stress. great little investment.

sounds like a good plan :thumbs:

Agree with the trickle charger :)

My 200 is sometimes in the garage for a while so I've wired up a socket down at the front of the car so I can plug

it in from the outside (nice rubber cap to keep the dirt/water out) so no messing having to connect/disconnect

the charger.

There are a few guys on the SXOC who use the solar ones and say they are OK if you have no access

to power and the car is outside.