oil levels and pressures

aquagazgt4

need a bit of help, done the search button and a million hits on this so if someone can point me in right direction. No puns please.

right , having checked oil levels on the crappy dipstick on my zed, it does no seem to give any bloody reading just smears from the tube, ive done it cold, warm. on the level. and theres no discernible level indicated. annoying. so i guess i can judge it by operating pressures. I dont want to overfill her, its had a p2 service 500 miles ago.

so having no manual lol, what should tick over oil pressure show, and say 3000rpm in 2nd, just as a benchmark. or could a techy person give me some rpm and gears to get an idea. dont want ruin me engine as only got one?

As long as my oil sits over half way on the pressure guage when doing 75mph in 6th, I've got more than enough oil in there. Not sure if that's going to work for every car due to the differences in the engines and how crudded up it is and how long the oil pump has got left in it, but that's a pretty safe benchmark for my particular car.

the only truely safe way to measure you oil level is with the dipstick, when the oil is cold and the car is level. I wouldn't trust any other way and certainly not the oil pressure gauge. Also don't think like some members have in the past that when the oil light comes on, it means time to put some oil in as its low. It doesn't, it means the oil pump is pumping air. It aint good news from now on.

Maybe suck eggs to some but rather safe than sorry

This is very true, and my post was a bit ambiguous in reflection. I use the gauge as a rough indication when I'm driving, but still check the level on the dipstick once a week to confirm that everything is as it should be. Tbh it's awkward to check on the DE, but it's not impossible.

yeah, weird that the oil warning light not coming on if its the case that not enough oil to register on the dipstick. and i cant of burned all the oil since last service at nissan 500 miles ago. theres no leaks anywhere. ive checked and checked left white paper under car overnight, grrrr.

its an 05 GT4 with 29,000 on clock.

yeah, weird that the oil warning light not coming on if its the case that not enough oil to register on the dipstick. and i cant of burned all the oil since last service at nissan 500 miles ago. theres no leaks anywhere. ive checked and checked left white paper under car overnight, grrrr.

you don't want the oil light to come on. It has no reference to the oil level but comes on when there is no oil pressure. Are you pushing the dipstick down far enough. It can be a bit tricky/ awkward. I only hope they put oil in on the last service and didn't forget. I recommend that you try and get to the bottom of this as engine is serious stuff.

sounds like whoever did the service didnt put enough oil in it. I always check mine myself after a service, having once had a car massivly over filled.

I'd suggest you buy some oil. Put in a ~0.5 litre and see if you get a register on the dip stick, repeat until you do.

Sounds like you're short on oil to me. Only smears on the dip stick can easily be caused when inserting/removing.

If you over fill it's easy to drain a bit out.... no big deal for piece of mind.

If the service is only 500 miles ago then chances are the oil is so clean you can't see it - seriously. REALLY wipe the dipstick first and if necessary dust a TINY bit of talcum powder on it as it will show the level much more clearly.

Oh, I assume you aren't parked on a hill :lol:

If you are really unsure that it has got enough oil in it it may be worth considering draining the oil out into a clean 5 litre container and then you will know for sure how much is or isn't in the engine and then you can adjust the amount.

From memory it's 4.4 litres without changing the oil filter and 4.7 litres with the oil filter change.

Better to be safe than :doh:

From cold the dip stick will give you an accurate indication of the amount of oil in the sump if carried out properly on a level surface.

If you are uncomfortable with the readings then drain the oil and start again.

The VQ 35 DE takes 4.4 litres without filter and 4.7 with, providing that you are on stock sump.

If the oil light comes on it is to late.

Many a VQ35 DE engine has been wrecked by the misconception of "that is time to put oil in when the oil warning light comes on".

Alex.

From cold the dip stick will give you an accurate indication of the amount of oil in the sump if carried out properly on a level surface.

If you are uncomfortable with the readings then drain the oil and start again.

The VQ 35 DE takes 4.4 litres without filter and 4.7 with, providing that you are on stock sump.

If the oil light comes on it is to late.

Many a VQ35 DE engine has been wrecked by the misconception of "that is time to put oil in when the oil warning light comes on".

Alex.

thats exactly what I did when had a dilemma like yours. empty it, change filter and put the precise amount for your car. in my case it was 4.7 as alex stated above.

better be safe then sorry mate

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

Just been reading this, i have been monitoring my oil, and it seems to stay just about half a centermeter above the min line when cold and when warm (about 20 mins after a 10 min drive) it is about another 1cm higher but much thinner oil.

What im wondering is how much oil is there from min line to max, ie shall i put in a whole litre or only half or only a quater?

Let me know!

Thanks

Neo