Car polishers

brummybird

As I have said before, the only way a machine will go near my zed is if it has a Pro Detailer using it. If the budget allows its worth getting it detailed professionally and then once you have all the issues sorted its easy enough to keep it looking good. :)

Doesn't look like a bad one, its a random orbit so is more forgiving then the rotary polishers.

As an alternative you could try THIS one, which is both cheaper and I'm made to believe better.

I tried machine polishing yesterday, just writing a thread with the pics and results for all to see.

I wouldnt get any of those 20 quid cheapy polishers. Go check out Detailing World and see what they make of them. Last I saw they dont have the power or the control required to do a proper job. Nor do the random orbit ones have a true random orbit to them. The cheapest one I was recommended was the Kestrel Dual Action polisher ( http://i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Kestr ... her_1.html ), which for the money is excellent, but still 10x that of the Halfords ones! As Martin say, unless you read up a lot and really know what you are doing dont bother, pay a pro and make sure you have a good wash technique afterwards to keep them away. The Zed paint is very thin and can be burnt through very easily if you dont know what you are doing. On the flip side, if you are up for reading up a lot on DW, I used the Kestrel to correct my Zed to a decent level at about 2/3 what it would have cost to get pro to do it, and now I have the stuff to do it again if needs be :thumbs:

I have had a Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbit for a couple of years and recently bought a Makita 9227 Rotary Polisher.

It isn't easy work. I think it's harder than doing it by hand as concentration has to be 100% (especially with the Makita!!!) but the results are very good. Don't be scared to do it but also invest in GOOD stuff! Machine polishers work with products specifically made for machines.

It is expensive to get all the right gear but it will last for ages!

Thanks for the tips guys, I will go professional first I think. It was only cos a bloke down the road was using it on his mitsubishi GTO that I thought they might be easier than doing it by hand. :blush:

They are good for apply some stuff, just dont expect to get proper results. It will give slightly better results than by hand and a lot easier. For example you could use one with AG SRP, and it wont really correct any scratches, but neither does applying it by hand. Same goes for waxes, makes it easy to apply and buff off. So not useless, just dont expect really good results :thumbs:

i think i will be purchasing a dual action machine soon.. i've done all the reading and watched a few videos on how to.. seems easy enough well the logics etc... now im stuck on whether to purchase the kestrel or megs g220..

also the pad and compound combination got me a lil confused. but saying that i was reading it at 5 am..

-ho

Brummybird - sorry I am a bit late in getting to this thread.

The piece of kit you are looking at is really only good for applying wax ie on with the machine and then buff off afterwards - it's not really that useful.

Just as easy to apply by hand - assuming you wanted it for waxing that is.

As a serious correction tool it is a straight no go - if you are looking for an entry level correction tool then a PC with Sonus DA pads is a good place to start.

Nonetheless don't be mislead into thinking that a PC is a great correction tool either - it is very slow (although pretty safe) and is really best suited for light swirl removing and glossing.

You could use a PC to achieve a zero defect standard on your Z (subject to PTG readings etc) but you would probably be looking at 1-2 hours a panel.