induction kits - jwt pop charger vs k&n

mylesmcg

I have the K&N Typhoon and you don't really hear it until you get above 4500rpm. This is because it is totally incased in a heat shield and the pop charger isn't. Based on that i would say pop charger is louder but you get better (cooler) air from the K&N.

I have the K&N Typhoon and you don't really hear it until you get above 4500rpm. This is because it is totally incased in a heat shield and the pop charger isn't. Based on that i would say pop charger is louder but you get better (cooler) air from the K&N.

+1

had both, both are good, but personal preference for me is the K&N which is what i have now. although i might look into dropping an apexi filter into my K&N airbox.

+1

had both, both are good, but personal preference for me is the K&N which is what i have now. although i might look into dropping an apexi filter into my K&N airbox.

What would be the reasoning behind this, better filter?

+1

i had an apexi on my old car and it was a great filter, but it was also a dry filter, where as the K&N is an oiled filter; nothing wrong with that but there is a risk of oil clogging the MAF (only if you over oil it.) also the apexi has a cyclone funnel in it. the JWT is good as it has more filter area with the internal filter section its like 2 cones.

would never have a mesh filter, not good at filtering. foam is good though the piper cross was on my civic. i've tried a lot of filters on different cars. my fav so far have been the JWT K&N and apexi.

+1

i had an apexi on my old car and it was a great filter, but it was also a dry filter, where as the K&N is an oiled filter; nothing wrong with that but there is a risk of oil clogging the MAF (only if you over oil it.) also the apexi has a cyclone funnel in it. the JWT is good as it has more filter area with the internal filter section its like 2 cones.

would never have a mesh filter, not good at filtering. foam is good though the piper cross was on my civic. i've tried a lot of filters on different cars. my fav so far have been the JWT K&N and apexi.

So you are saying a mesh filter like http://www.envyperformance.com/index.cf ... ct_ID=1027 isnt actually a very good filter? (for dirt)

So you are saying a mesh filter like http://www.envyperformance.com/index.cf ... ct_ID=1027 isnt actually a very good filter? (for dirt)

Yes they are not as good as an oiled cotton gauze filter, but are an "ok" filter, otherwise they would never sell! Ben took his off his Evo and put a cotton gauze one on now I think because he was worried about filtration.

personally i don't like them, i'm dubious about there ability to filter as effectively as cotton or foam. i don't think they are rubbish but i wouldn't use one. it relies alot more on oil catching the particles, i would be concerned about the build up of oil on the MAF, easily cleaned, but a hassle all the same. i also think they sound more raspy and metallic on the intake sound.

i read an article a while back on different filters, i think it talked about how even performance cotton filters let more crap into the engine compared to OEM paper panel filters. i think the more you open up the ability to breath the more you open up the opportunity for crap to get into the engine.

its all down to personally preference if i was to rank them i would have a

1.dry filter first

2.oiled cotton

3.Foam

4. Metal mesh

5. a pair of tights over the intake. :lol::scare:

6. nothing at all

its all down to personally preference if i was to rank them i would have a

1.dry filter first

2.oiled cotton

3.Foam

4. Metal mesh

5. a pair of tights over the intake. :lol::scare:

6. nothing at all

A dry filter (cotton, paper, whatever) and oiled cotton both have the same properties in that they are a mesh of fibres with holes in them. These holes will eventually block up and restrict flow. With a dry filter the weave is fine so that it can trap much smaller particles, the down-side being that it's efficiency drops relatively rapidly over it's life. To keep optimum efficiency it needs to be replaced frequently. The difference with an oiled filter is that it can afford larger holes. Rather than particles being trapped by bouncing through until they jam in a hole just smaller than them, particles stick to the oil as soon as they hit. This lets the particles accrete in a random fashion and in doing so they too leave holes for air to travel through, the dirt forms part of the filter and in doing so prolongs the efficiency of the filter. This is why a dirty oiled filter can still be very effective with such a long cleaning cycle - in fact cleaning them before necessary gives no real advantage and can even slightly reduce their efficiency and dirt capturing ability (we are talking small number here though).

All in all, a dry filter needs changing often, an oiled one doesn't. A dry filter is more efficient at removing dirt from the air but IMO the marginal amount of extra dirt (and very small particles) getting by through an oiled filter just hits the engine oil and is filtered out in the oil filter anyway, or is so minute that it is of no consequence. If you change the oil and filter as recommended (or sooner) and you do more good than mucking about at the air filter end. Choose a dry filter if you like fiddling all the time, or an oiled on if you are lazy (like me).

I hope that made sense, even if it wasn't of any interest to anyone!

BTW

I had metal mesh over weber carbs on a car once and the noise was fantastic! I used to feed the engine with Wasps :blush: but I was a lot younger then. I expect they added to the carbon build up as i never saw them shoot out the exhaust as an ember :lol:

You pays your money and takes your choice I guess.

Thats excellent thanks :thumbs:

So the recomended buy if you want everyone else to make the decision for you is the pop charger? :lol:

or k&n

someone on here is also running a group buy on the pipercross filters which are good and they come with a polished intake tube i think and they were going for about £160.

and all three are the same type aswell, oil ones? how difficult are they to "re-oil" if thats the term?

sorry stupid questions :blink:

i have a k&n oiling kit at home, its meant ot be pretty easy, just follow the instructions and don't over oil it. think there is a video on you tube of how to do it.

The K&N is pretty easy to clean. Pick out any big bits stuck on, then spray with K&N cleaner (not that expensive). Use the sink to wash the gauze out (run the tap slowly). Re-oil using spray or squeeze bottle. The trick is to not put too much oil on it. That will cause the oil to mess up the MAF sensor. As long as you take your time and don't get too rough with the filter itself then its pretty easy.

You should only need to clean it every 30k - 40k though.

Not sure if you guys have seen this, it's a few years old but shows a comparison between different filter types on filtration and any power gains.

Looking at the figures the standard inlet/filter must be pretty restrictive to give the gains just by swapping filters.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

And the Revspeed original test (in Japanese) http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filter ... index.html

You will be lucky to see any gains from swapping the filter though as the ECU will cancel them out. Plus I would be surprised if you actually got about half of those gains even without the ECU issue. My K&N only claimed between 7&8bhp gain on the instructions.

Agreed but the info in the article was taken from tests on a Supra though so they may be more restrictive as it doesn't say what mods it has

(or may do if you can read the Japanese original)

Yes looks like the Supra one must have been pretty restrictive. I know on my old Leon the OEM airbox was restricitive too and removing it gave too gains. Its always the same with FI cars. NA cars such as the Zed give much smaller gains. Its been widely proven in the States the the OEM airbox (especially the 06+) is just as good if not better flowing than any aftermarket filter for the requirements i.e. the aftermarket ones may flow more if required, but the car in NA form never needs more than it can supply. Pop chargers and such do add a nice roar though B)

Not sure if you guys have seen this, it's a few years old but shows a comparison between different filter types on filtration and any power gains.

Looking at the figures the standard inlet/filter must be pretty restrictive to give the gains just by swapping filters.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

And the Revspeed original test (in Japanese) http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filter ... index.html

I went for an Apexi filter based on this test actually. Its not the loudest, but very happy with it. Was about £130 I think