Secuirty - do you have any extra?

Mark-UK

Hi guys (and gals),

firstly sorry for all the questions, it's been a hectic week with travelling 600 miles for the zed, a knee op yesterday (cant drive my zed for 3 days!!!) and what not. So apologies for so many questions.

I just wondered what happens if anyone tries breaking into the zed, does an alarm sound go off at all? Also do you take any extra precautions security wise ie steering wheel lock, also can you get blanking plates to hide a kenwood double din screen?

Thanks guys for your help so far, hopefully get to a meet soon.

Apart from the norm alarm and immobiliser I keep a steering wheel lock on it when in public places. I also remove the head unit fascia (pops out) and also make sure no sat nav sucker thing is on the window (indicating I have a sat nav unit in the car as well) - the same goes for iPod connections or the device itself left in view.

I'm planning on getting a tracker as well. When at home it's also in the garage with a couple of good pad locks on it (plus my steering lock).

Call me paranoid, but I'd rather spend a fortune locking it down and making it as unattractive to thieves as possible. Remember; the more security you have the longer it takes to get away - so hopefully there's more chance of them being caught. Plus it gives you a piece of mind.

Also, don't park it in dodgy areas.

I've only had my zed for a few weeks, so I am getting more used to leaving it parked - but I still get paranoid and tart about looking for perfect parking locations (I'm sure I always will).

I don't do this myself, but I do know people who leave their car unlocked regardless of what's inside. The theory being that if someone really wants to get in then they will, and at least if everything is open then there's nothing they can damage by trying to get in.

Completely invalidates your insurance mind, but if that wasn't the case that's what I'd do. As it stands I feel the standard security is enough.

As it stands I feel the standard security is enough.

+1 - any thieft with more than 2 brain cells knows its got an imobiliser, which means they wont be able to nick it without the keys. What you should be more worried about is being carjacked as they know they need the keys to get away. In that case you'd want something like the Blackjaxx or other anti carjacking device rather than a steering wheel lock (which have been proven a piece of pi$$ to remove if they really want to). I leave my car anywhere and everywhere and havent had any trouble in over 2 years. I try not to park in really dodgy places though.

I don't do this myself, but I do know people who leave their car unlocked regardless of what's inside. The theory being that if someone really wants to get in then they will, and at least if everything is open then there's nothing they can damage by trying to get in.

I'd think that in most cases thieves make the exact opposite assumption, and won't even think that doors may be unlocked, esp on such a car. They'd just break the glass, nick anything they can get their hand on and run...

I have a Stoplock as well (£29 from Halfords). I'm sure you could get it off if you knew what you were doing, however its clearly visible which is what I like.

I'm hoping it gives the potential thief second thoughts and would think "what else does he have on it? A tracker? Nah...not worth it".