CAPITAL PUNISHMENT. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Arkwright

Every few days there are horrific murders reported in this country which seem to be senseless, with no real motive.

About 2 years ago there was the murder of 11 year old Rhys Davis, who was shot by a teenager whilst on his way home from football practice.

About 3 weeks ago there was the report of a lad who was tied to a tree, made to drink petrol and then incinerated.

Dano Sonnex and Nigel Farmer brutally tortured and stabbed two French students, and the psychopathic Sonnex threatened to bite off the officer's face who arrested him.

Yesterday, Jade Braithwaite 20 years, Michael Alleyne 18 years and Juress Kika, 19 years were sentenced to a minimum of 19 years for the murder by stabbing of 16 year old Ben Kinsella. This trio pursued a group of lads because one of the group had 'dissed' them with a look and mercilessly stabbed Ben. When being led to the cells they mocked the bereaved family and friends.

Grieving families left to mourn for ever, whilst psychopathic scum sue our pathetic government if their porridge has got lumps in it.

Apart from the deterrent effect of capital punishment, just think of the money we'd save on keeping the 'perps' incarcerated.

I don't advocate 'topping' people for all murders, but certainly in cases such as the above it would make me, the bereaved, and in fact all decent people feel safer and happier to see proper justice meted out.

Where do we go from here? Even when the Tories get in it won't happen, and we'll be still living in a country where scum rule ( no I don't mean MPs, I mean the street criminals.)

I'm with you on this. It would have to be regulated but punishment that fits the crime in what the justice system was invented for.

I think prison should be a punishment not an easy ride. Any 'privileges' you get (yes, TV IS a privilege) should be earned.

If I was in charge then things would be different! ;)

I understand what you are saying and its difficult to remain impartial about somthing like this.

The problem is not so much bringing back some form of Capital punishment this is more like treating the symptoms rather than a cure at the root of these issues - think we covered a lot of this in the thread last week. The general populous have turned into scroats who dont care much for anyone with no respect for other people or life in general - how you deal with this I dont know - do we just kill them if its 200% sure they did whatever they did?

I do think prisoners should have to work, do labour instead of being just confined. I imagine being confined is not a holiday but what use is it to anyone now. Get them working for the country.

Punishments in the legal system appear to be too lean but thats the job of the legal bods to sort that out. Its not all about how much compensation you get moneywise its about justice being served and what is reasonable justice for crimes commited when children are killed - horrible state of affairs not sure anyone has the answer? We also have to consider some people are just pure evil there is no way they can be changed by counselling so what then? Shoot them?

I agree, So much is just Mumbo Jumbo. Capital punishment all the way. These people have no rights when they took away the rights of others. There is no 'reform' they can't be 'rehabilatated' and why should they get a second chance after ruining and snubbing lives out the way they do. The CPS don't help. The police work hard at getting the evidence for prosectution and the CPS can wipe it all away at the flick of a pen. I have also been at the hands of seriously deranged people, which is why I am so passionate about my beliefs. We don't get our human rights respected, second chances etc. They are a burden on our society. I will now step down off my soap box.

Hi Guys

It might surprise you considering some of the threads I have posted re the criminal justice system, but i am not in favour of capital punishment.

Our system is good but it is far from perfect and i would rather keep many murderers alive, albeit serving a life of penal servitude, than hang one innocent person.

Many of my colleagues are of the polar view and feel that for the greater good murderers should receive the death penalty even if or a very rare occasion an innocent person suffers.

Unfortunately this then brings in degree's of murder and degree's of punishment.

Is it the death penalty of multiple murders, single murders with exceptional cruelty. What about assisted suicide? You see where i am coming from?

I am not, however, that against the arguement that if it was brought back, and by the way I do not think it ever will, I would campaign against it but just do not feel it is the answer.

Some might say that it is the easy answer and a life behind bars is worse than a quick death?

I do agree that certain persons are just evil and as such should never see the light of day as a free person. I also agree that certain crimes, including the ones mentioned in this thread, are so abhorrent that the only viable punishment is LIFE incarcerated.

Ming the Thinker

I have just re read my post and had a thought.

I am sure it makes me look hypocritical but if anyone ever carried out actions like have been described against a member of my family then I would by necessity step outside the law and take my own retribution knowing full well the punishment I faced.

My morality and the 'man' inside me would eat me up until I had done what I felt needed doing.

Had the offender been hung then maybe I would not feel like it so I think I have just argued against myself. :blush:

Thats why these threads are so good because they allow you to look at certain things from different angles and often REALLY see and arguement.

Ming the greatful

I think in cases like the stabbing of Ben Kinsella, where the evidence is irrefutable, the death sentence should be carried out.

It's the ultimate deterrent. Don't do sh*t unless you are really prepared to take the consequences.

Most of these so called "gangsters" do sh*t because they know they can get away with it, and prison time serves as bragging rights.

I have just re read my post and had a thought.

I am sure it makes me look hypocritical but if anyone ever carried out actions like have been described against a member of my family then I would by necessity step outside the law and take my own retribution knowing full well the punishment I faced.

My morality and the 'man' inside me would eat me up until I had done what I felt needed doing.

Had the offender been hung then maybe I would not feel like it so I think I have just argued against myself. :blush:

Thats why these threads are so good because they allow you to look at certain things from different angles and often REALLY see and arguement.

Ming the greatful

Ming you are so right. When you get effected by serious crime, it make you a different person. I should imagine this is magnified when you see the perpetrator walking free and laughing about it. When I say walking free I mean breathing. Mine may not have deserved to die but they didn't deserve to walk free either and live a normal life. The victim never has that privilege. My opinion of course. :)

The arguement for Capital punishment as a deterrent just doesn't work. Exactly the same as prison for a lot of these low life, 1. they don't expect to be caught

2. they only see it as an occupational hazard

3. a lot of murders are not pre-meditated etc. etc.

I suppose the real arguement is whether we should have to pay to keep these scum on this earth. I agree with Stan, until we tackle the heart of the problem it will become an even greater evil. We need to clean up our act, foul language on Television & in films, violent computer games, the ever growing drug problems & the lack of respect for authority. Don't get me wrong, I'm no prude or do-gooder, but when we allow people like Gordon Ramsey to become prime time television stars then something ain't right. How do we expect our children not to copy what they see as normal? Set the bar high & if standards fall a bit from there then we are not so bad. Set that bar low & you are already very close to the cesspool.

I think in cases like the stabbing of Ben Kinsella, where the evidence is irrefutable, the death sentence should be carried out.

It's the ultimate deterrent. Don't do sh*t unless you are really prepared to take the consequences.

Most of these so called "gangsters" do sh*t because they know they can get away with it, and prison time serves as bragging rights.

+1 :thumbs:

Put real deterrents in place, whatever the crime, that will make those in our society who seem to think breaking the law is a game think again.

It is a real pleasure when we go to Singapore and can walk in public places at night with no fear of an attack, and right down to more basic issues with no rubbish strewn around or chewing gum all over the place - simply because if you get caught there the penalties are so severe it deters those who might choose to chance it. No doubt crime does take place there but I do not feel similarly at ease here out at night in any built areas and god forbid if I look at anyone in case I'm accused of not showing them respect , as in Bens' case - what a state this country is getting in :dry:

The general populous have turned into scroats who don't care much for anyone with no respect for other people or life in general

Such a pity, but unfortunately things don't seem to be changing for the better. There's no care or consequence, so why would there be respect. Deliberately no question mark there.

Gone are cause and reaction. :wacko: That goes down to the smallest things. Lack of consideration, forethought and compassion. Having said that some people are so wacked off their nuts they don't know what reality is anymore. Truely sad that often very serious crimes are being committed by mere minors, if that.

Just glad I won't be here in another 100 years to see what it's like then, unless something very positive happens.

I agree with you. Either some muppet somewhere will push the button and finish us off or it will be like mad max or we will just carry on as we are and be dumbed down to by the press tv and worry about important things like what celebs are doing.... :lol:

Life should mean life, no chance of parole and hard labour (as was said earlier, Penal sevitude). They can break rocks all day every day in a chain gang or sew mailbags. But no TV, no cellphones, no private cells. $ to a cell and let them get on with killing eachother.

Might help sort out the root causes if we get out of Europe and bring back the birch and allow the cane in school again.