Dropped Kerbs

Jammy007

My next door neighbours had a dropped kerb installed by a previous owner illegally (a quick job on the side with no council permission).

Now I know its illegal to park over a dropped kerb (restricted access and all that) but if that kerbs been installed illegally then can you park over it?

We only live in a terraced row of houses, so its not as if it'd be blocked for emergency vehicle access.

Having trouble with the neightbours at the moment over land issues and they're being really petty so obviously I'm keeping a few petty ones in my back pocket for a rainy day :rant:

Hang them!

I tried to get kerbs lowered outside my pad. They wanted a million quid or something..... That was the quote from the ONE council approved vendor that bothered to come back and you have to use council approved folk...... A good mate of mine owns a plant hire company but they do loads like that but couldn't use them. :rant::rant::rant:

Don't think it's illeagal but very petty. Fight fire with fire though and if they are being a pain then report the issue.

I dont think its illegal to park over a dropped kerb just considerd good manners. Pretty sure the council wont be too happy about the dropped kerb not being done by themselfs and without permission, and they will have a record if it was done by them soo could see them sending a fine!

Technically you cant park in front of a dropped kerb if they have the planning permission so that kerb is now access to their property so u will be breaking the law parking there.

BUT if they don't have planning permission its a very grey area. I would say report him, if they have not got planning they 'could' be fined

NOTE: If you make an official complaint you will have to declare it when you come to sell the house which might end up with people asking questions

Technically you cant park in front of a dropped kerb if they have the planning permission so that kerb is now access to their property so u will be breaking the law parking there.

BUT if they don't have planning permission its a very grey area. I would say report him, if they have not got planning they 'could' be fined

NOTE: If you make an official complaint you will have to declare it when you come to sell the house which might end up with people asking questions

Planning permission is normally only required if it is a trunk or classified road - most residential roads are not in that category and therefore the only 'consent' needed is from the highway authority to whom you have to pay to have the work done, or I believe some Councils require you to have it done by an approved contractor. Even if planning permission is required the Local Planning Authority has no authority to 'enforce' against persons obstructing the access as planning law does not extend to controlling what happens on a public highway. 'Enforcement' would be a matter for the police if in an obstruction to an access is being caused - suffice to say they don't normally treat such breaches as priority but will probably do a vehicle check and have a 'word' with the car owner. If problems persist then I guess they would get heavy with the person they see as wasting their time by ignoring their warnings.

In your case Jammy007 it's up to you whether you want to report the illegal dropped kerb but if you have already had confrontations with the neighbour and given he's not shy to carry out unlawful work he might not be shy about seaking revenge on your car, or worse still you :scare:

What Rod_Quads says about declaring complaints is true when you came to sell your home and is something to be careful about ;)

I can confirm everything in Ebized 's response. Works on the public highway can only be undertaken by the local authority or by an approved highway contractor instructed by the highway authority, so there would be some justification in reporting the offender :yawn:

Parking with any part of the car on the footway is illegal since it is causing an obstruction to pedestrians, so would be liable to a fine. :thumbdown:

Parking in front of the dropped kerbs is only of minor interest to the police if it prevents a vehicle leaving the garage; car port or drive but they tend not to be interested if vehicles are prevented from driving off the road into the car port. :drive1

I can confirm everything in Ebized 's response. Works on the public highway can only be undertaken by the local authority or by an approved highway contractor instructed by the highway authority, so there would be some justification in reporting the offender :yawn:

Parking with any part of the car on the footway is illegal since it is causing an obstruction to pedestrians, so would be liable to a fine. :thumbdown:

Parking in front of the dropped kerbs is only of minor interest to the police if it prevents a vehicle leaving the garage; car port or drive but they tend not to be interested if vehicles are prevented from driving off the road into the car port. :drive1

Clever, i like it :lol:

Thanks guys, liking the newspaper & front garden idea the best.

Yes he's a skinny dweeb and I don't think there's any issues with him keying my car (it would certainly be the last thing he did) anyway i'm sure i'll have my revenge one way or another :boxing: