trip to the Nordschliefe(Pics /write upheavy)

GT4 Zed

As some of you may know i was at the Nordschiefe last week and i had the time of my life :yahoo: Believe the hype, it is as good as the legend have it! its notting like doing a trachday at silverstone etc and if you get it wrong it will be costly to you and your car and more:scare: It is a must experience for any self-respecting petrolhead and i think i am hooked already as i will be back in July :thumbs:

I have many photos and even a short video kindly taken by a fellow brit when i overtook him in his Mondeo ST220. (Gary you are a top bloke! ).

The town of nurburg within the Ring. the GP circuit beyond

CIMG2449.jpg

Bennett320.jpg

The main straights in the middle of the picture. i was topping 150mph here but the Porches GT2&3 and other exotica were close to 200mph :scare:

CIMG2450.jpg

The view down tiergarten

CIMG2431.jpg

Coming in to cool off

CIMG2413-1.jpg

Chasing down a porker!

CIMG2433.jpg

My other half died getting this shot hihhihihihii

CIMG2412.jpg

cooling off after 3-4 lap stints which i found optimal for brakes and tyres. note the admirer

CIMG2401.jpg

Going in for some more. I had a helmet but got rid of it as i became comfortable and moreso its not compulsory.

CIMG2397.jpg

Queing to go in

CIMG2389.jpg

car pack

CIMG2388.jpg

Rev limit set accordingly to avoid cut out

Bennett390-1.jpg

my best time(bridge to gantry). I know it is naughty but you can't resist seeing how you progress ;) My first ever lap was an 11:15(cautious!) but was consistently within mid 9-low 10 when i got going. but my best lap can when i had stopped drifting the corners and drove smooth i guess but i think it was really to do with an ever increasing knowledge of the track.

Bennett391-1.jpg

Put on the sticker on my last day ..after my final lap!

Bennett342.jpg

woke up on friday to fine this 900bhp RUF monstrousity by my hotel window and many a GT2 and 3 and RS variant! And i was thinking it was raining in my sleep :blush:

Bennett332.jpg

Zed mobbed by porkers!

Bennett335.jpg

could not resist!. ugly as f--k but capable!!

Bennett334.jpg

the guy on the left(Robin) is a legend! he took me in a standard BMW 116i hatchback and lapped 8:45 :scare::scare: i owe him so much and learnt alot. Fabrizio owns the famous pistenklause restaurant within the Tiergarten hotel(part owned by sabine schmit...Top gear)and serves the rumpsteak on a hot stone(bits of the track) yummmmmmy!

Bennett331.jpg

The place is full of memorabilia of the who is who of racing!

Bennett327.jpg

you need this to get past the barriers. Got two :teeth:

Bennett339.jpg

you also use the cards to eat or drink at the green hell diner in the background.

Bennett313.jpg

techart, fezza, porkers R35 ......

Bennett317.jpg

Bennett319.jpg

Bennett314.jpg

Bennett315.jpg

Bennett312.jpg

Bennett321.jpg

the gates to the green hell. note the flat bed in the shot. it was required at least once every day!

Bennett311.jpg

Bennett310.jpg

Back to blighty

Bennett346.jpg

I can't wait for the proper professional pics of my track action to be sent to me and i would post the video shortly.

Sumary/tips:

- Its under 4 hours to get to the ring from calais via Belgium

- Fuel was only 10-20 cheaper per litre if you go for the RON 100 stuff :teeth:

- I Filled up thrice in total. about 1 tankful each way and three 25L fill up per track day to avoid carrying to much weight!!

- Hotel cost me 104 euro a night plus breakfast at the Tiergarten which is walking distance to the track entance but you can get similar quality within a 6 mile radius eg Adenau or Wimbach for 30-40 euro!

- Food and booze is cheap!!

- you don't need special tyres provided you use them well and put in heat in them nicely they will amaze you. My Avons ZZ3 became sticky to touch after three or four lap stint :thumbs:

- standard brakes: same as above! on the 4 lap the pedal got longer but you still could brake hard and true!

- stardard suspension is ok especially as you hit curbs and the bumpy carousel corrner but i think a stiffer ARB will be brilliant! i was told my some chap who runs anr tune nismo zed that the only thing you want to change in the geometry is the front toe which needs openning by 3degs for better cornering and same for negative camber.

- cost 22 euro per lap but cheaper to buy in multiples eg 8 for 145 euro.

-weekdays a less busy than weekends but check in advance before you leave so ou don't get disappointed when you get there and is closed for an event. see the official site for the calender: http://www.nuerburgring..de

-GT4 on PS3 will help you with knowing the track but forget it! its nothing like the real thing...13mile 73 corners all trying to kill or flatter you :D

- the Zed can hold its own and it is very forgiving as i found. surprisingly the TC was never interupting except for a few times when i overcooked some corners as i was becoming braver B). nothing went wrong with the car and if anything its seems to runs smoother 4 days on!

- for good measure i got a P2 with complimenttary valet, tea and biscuits type service on my last day by Nissan in Adenau and it cost 120 euro! my service book was stamped and logged on nissan database ;) They offered to supply and fit Michelin PS cup tyres on their own 19" race rims and track specific geometry for 800euros if i call and book in next trip!

- Finally its good to go with others. i met a few brits there and even spotted a GM choptop but did not see him again by the time i got back into the pitstop :blush: thanks for looking and reading.

- Starting a list for mid-end july:

1- GT4 Zed

Good write up Bennet, reminds me so much of when i was there only last October. The pistenklause is a great little restaurant, had our last steak on the stone on our final night there, and absolutely loved it. We stayed in the Blaue Ecke hotel in Adenau, apparently were a Mr Clarkson stayed, when he took the diesel jag out for a few laps with Sabine. I will be going this year again, i,ve been every year since 2001 and only crashed once :drive1:doh::lol: on the very first ever lap, in the rain :scare: We'll have to arrange a zed trip over there in the near future. What do you lot reckon :snack:

Nice writeup mate, looks like you had fun :)

BTW, the rev settings on the centre console only make the warning light come on earlier/later... They dont alter the rev settings. that is unless you have had it connected to a piggyback or something!

BTW, the rev settings on the centre console only make the warning light come on earlier/later... They dont alter the rev settings. that is unless you have had it connected to a piggyback or something!

Yeah I thought that when I was reading it, doesnt alter the limiter, just changes when the flashing red light comes on.

Looks brilliant!

Can't belive you managed to drive around a track with the traction control turned on.If mine is turned on I can't get away from the corners.

I turned it off :scare::scare: So would not recommend it!

Every corner was a drift session! With TC off it required to much of my attention to weight transfer, bracking point, ideal entry speeds etc all of which are tied to knowing every section of the track by heart :wacko:

13miles is a long way with other traffic ;) and a variable grip levels :surrender:

I and my car will be better prepared to give it a go but i doubt it will make me faster :D:lol::lol:

Did it back in 1996 on the way back to the UK on The Italian Job (Fund raising Event) in a mini. That Carousel is something else, especially with a load of boys in their Polo's overtaking you around the top of it :wacko::surrender:

Back in the car park a brand new Porche had lost it on a bend; total write off. Can be very costly if you get it wrong or go on first thing in the morning when the track is covered in dew :headhurt:. All good fun!

Good write up. :thumbs:

great write up and awesome pics

- stardard suspension is ok especially as you hit curbs and the bumpy carousel corrner but i think a stiffer ARB will be brilliant! i was told my some chap who runs anr tune nismo zed that the only thing you want to change in the geometry is the front toe which needs openning by 3degs for better cornering and same for negative camber.

very interesting point about the geometry. wonder how would the Zed behave on daily drive with that setup

love the ESSEX BOY ONLY PARKING sign :lol:

Oooo can't wait 'till this weekend now :)

Not taking the Z for the first trip, didn't want to risk it so I've organised to take over some bangers for charity and see how that goes. If all goes well I might be looking at going again later in the summer.

Can't believe you stayed in the hotel though... camping all the way :)

Any more tips for a first timer?

Oooo can't wait 'till this weekend now :)

Not taking the Z for the first trip, didn't want to risk it so I've organised to take over some bangers for charity and see how that goes. If all goes well I might be looking at going again later in the summer.

Can't believe you stayed in the hotel though... camping all the way :)

Any more tips for a first timer?

Tips;

-Be prepared! check this site for things you need to drive in europe: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... dvice.html

-Be prepared for the track: you and your car. see; http://www.nuerburgring.de/english/events.html

- visit ring sites eg Ben lovejoy's sitehttp://www.nurburgring.org.uk or you tube videos or playstation GT4