How to mount on curved dash?...moulding putty?

ms8qt

Right, please open the attached photo below...this control knob works in the same way as the iPod click wheel (it's fantastic!) BUT I want to position it where the red circle is in the picture AND I don't want to use screws to do this.

[attachment=0]hkknob.jpg[/attachment]

At the position where I want to mount there is a slight curve which means the sticky pad that came with the control knob will only stick on about 25% because the surface isn't completely flat. A friend recommended I put some clingfilm over the area (to protect it) and put some kind of moulding putty/paste in that position to form a mould. After a while it will become hard and can then be filed/sanded down to the correct size and shape. The great thing about this idea is that it will have the exact curve I need and i can make the top flat (to mount the control knob after). I hope this makes sense to you...it's hard to explain!

Anyway, just wondered if anyone could recommend some type of moulding putty/paste, liquid plastic, etc for this specific job...? Alternatively, if you have another idea then please let me know. I think I've considered all mounting placement options and this position is, to me, by far the most convenient when driving.

MANY thanks,

Mark.

I've just found this...looks like it could work!

MILLIPUT EPOXY PUTTY MODELLING SCULP REPAIR BLACK

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380128407950

Plan to clingfilm the area, then put a good blob of putty on, then clingfilm over the top, and then (the most important bit) press a flat metal plate onto it that is a similar size to the control knob to make sure the top side is nice a flat! It's either going to work really easily or be a complete nightmare...LOL!

Mark.

how do you then plan to stick the moulded part down to the centre console after you have removed the cling film? Will you be using some more double sided 3m stuff?

Another option is always fibreglass. That way once you have made the piece you want you can rub it down and spray it to match the dash.

Good luck with it all mate.

I would say this isnt gonna be an easy job cause of the finish of the centre console... that is unless your gonna rub the whole thing down and get it painted!! I would look at the area to the left or right of the spedo cluster as there is a bit of room and you could drop it in flush as its a bit "flatter" there, lots of room behind...

One other thought would be to fit flush into the sunglass holder, nice blue glow! you would just need to extend the wires...

How about buying a spare gear surround section off ZMANALEX or R35LEE and then mod/cut/drill it to your needs, then should you come to sell the Zed, just replace it with the standard one...

+1. I'd cut a hole and mount it as flush as I could.

Thanks for all the replys/ideas guys...here are my responses :)

1) The suggestion to get a spare gear surround off 'zmanalex' sounds great but obviously depends on price as well as how easy (or not) it is to replace. I'll PM him for the price but does anyone know what is involved to replace this part (or can point me to a thread that shows this)?>

2) In terms of other suggested mounting locations...

It can't be mounted on the armrest of the driver's door because it wouldn't be easy to access due to the existing electric window controls. It can't be mounted on the center armrest because that damn ashtray is there (which I use for coins) and I can't fit it further back because then it's difficult to access and use.

Left/right of the speedo is a bit too far away and high up for ease of use. Not only that, it's easy for would-be theives to see something unusual (and nice) that indicates a decent ICE install!

left/right of speedo

The sunglass holder is a nice idea but that's just too high up...not convenient and my arm would ache a bit using it a lot whilst driving.

3) The Milliput putty can be shaped/sanded after it's got hard and can also be painted (although one is available that is black which I think would work well).

4) There are no wires as it's the wireless (version 2) one :) It came with a round double-sided sticky pad to for fixing so I'll use that or some sticky velcro pad (cut to size) so that I could always remove it if I ever had to park in a slightly dodgy area and wanted to hide it.

CONCLUSION

I'll either create and shape a small custom moulding as I already planned OR I'll drill it in place (if a spare gear surround isn't too expensive and can be fitted easily).

I really your comments...thanks.

Mark.

So why have you got one?...trimming it to fit what? (or have I misunderstood you?)

I've just looked on eBay but can't find anything. Can you let me know the eBay listing/item number?

Lastly, any idea what's involved in fitting a new one? (easy/complex? time consuming?)

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks for all the replys/ideas guys...here are my responses :)

1) The suggestion to get a spare gear surround off 'zmanalex' sounds great but obviously depends on price as well as how easy (or not) it is to replace. I'll PM him for the price but does anyone know what is involved to replace this part (or can point me to a thread that shows this)?>

2) In terms of other suggested mounting locations...

It can't be mounted on the armrest of the driver's door because it wouldn't be easy to access due to the existing electric window controls. It can't be mounted on the center armrest because that damn ashtray is there (which I use for coins) and I can't fit it further back because then it's difficult to access and use.

Left/right of the speedo is a bit too far away and high up for ease of use. Not only that, it's easy for would-be theives to see something unusual (and nice) that indicates a decent ICE install!

left/right of speedo

The sunglass holder is a nice idea but that's just too high up...not convenient and my arm would ache a bit using it a lot whilst driving.

3) The Milliput putty can be shaped/sanded after it's got hard and can also be painted (although one is available that is black which I think would work well).

4) There are no wires as it's the wireless (version 2) one :) It came with a round double-sided sticky pad to for fixing so I'll use that or some sticky velcro pad (cut to size) so that I could always remove it if I ever had to park in a slightly dodgy area and wanted to hide it.

CONCLUSION

I'll either create and shape a small custom moulding as I already planned OR I'll drill it in place (if a spare gear surround isn't too expensive and can be fitted easily).

I really your comments...thanks.

Mark.

Simple mate on No 1, Pull up at the back near the ash tray, remove gear knob (careful, one spanner held firm under the gear gator, another spanner round the gear knob with a towel under the spanners teeth to protect your knob!) undo heater matrig plug (small screwdriver to depress the tab)... Job done... This may help with cutting ideas etc.... http://my350z.com/forum/audio-video-and ... te-up.html

Good luck!!!

I've had my first stab at creating a custom mount and it's gone pretty damn well. The only thing I may consider doing is filing the depth of the mount down a bit so it's more flush with the interior.

Stage one was to put some clingfilm on the center console (under climate control dials) to protect it (just in case Milliput left marks) and then press a small round ball of Milliput down where i wanted to fit the Harmon Kardon control dial (using something flat and strong so that one side would also be flat). I left the mould overnight to set and the next morning it was solid and ready for shaping using a metal file.

post-9-135011839534_thumb.gif3.jpg[/attachment]

Once the control dial is put on it works nicely and is very stable. As said at the top of this post, the only thing I might do is file the depth of the mount down a bit so it's more flush with the interior.

Best of all, no drilling and I have it fitted exactly where I want it :)

Mark.

Nice one matey - and a good picture guide. :thumbs:

So what does that contraption do again - control your Ipod? Presume you connect the Ipod to another bit of it that sends the signals to it? Built in FM transmitter doodar is it? Only asking as interested myself - my FM transmitter set up is fine but a pain when trying to see what you like to select? :blink: