How to - 'Clear out' UK OEM fog light

T2JOU

This how to explains how to remove the red lense from inside the UK OEM fog/indicator light. (I didn't think to take photos whilst doing it, so none of the inside of the light, perhaps someone could add them in if they have a go)

Tools Required:

- Small flatblade screwdriver

- Long nose pliers

- Stanley knive blade

- 2 cheap butter knives (or screwdrivers you don't mind getting glue on)

- 1 oven big enough to fit a 21cm x 35cm light

- Old tea towel/oven mits

- Clear Silicon Sealant

I used this guide to remove the bumper... http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Rear_Bumper_Removal

1. Remove the bulbs (circled in red) and black rubber caps (circled in yellow) from the back of the light

t2jou1.jpg.48573b30ce898ec1e1d4f810ef424ff5.jpg

2. Use the small screw driver to unclip the grey Wiring harness connector from the back of the light. You need to slide the screwdriver between the connector and the black support (red arrow)

t2jou2.jpg.ed80273ae54cf8574c46d0c155a848ef.jpg

1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees (I was using a fan oven, so could probably put it a bit higher if not)

2. Put the light on baking paper and a baking tray to catch any spills

3. Cook for 6 mins, checking to make sure nothings melting (best to try pulling the lense off after a few mins, you can always put it back in for a bit)

4a. If you've left it in until golden brown, you've left it to long!

4b. Best to leave the oven on while you do the next bits, just in case you need to reheat (if you have trouble and the glue sets)

5. Using the old tea towel to hold the light, prise the lense away from the housing with the butter knife.

t2jou3.jpg.523249d09f9ea376b07a794d81f851ab.jpg

Once you have it off a bit you can do this by hand, using the knife to unclip the clips as you go (circled red) (Note: I found it difficult to get the indicator side off, but managed to do the rest with the lense pulled half open, to the green arrow)

t2jou4.jpg.7bcd9b6f4772ec7e06372199291ff928.jpg

6. Use the stanley blade to help cut away any glue which is stretching between the lense and housing.

7. Use the long nose pliers to pull out the red lense, its glued into the housing at the two tabs shown.

t2jou5.jpg.4cd2eb3659a4587eb78b610be4fc62db.jpg

8. The metal reflector is held in place by two melted bits of black plastic, these come away easily if you chisel at them with the screwdriver, them the reflector should just pull out.

t2jou6.jpg.52901933a2986841794c03f8f10cc2c8.jpg

This pic shows the holes for the red lense's tabs (circled in green) and the points where the metal reflector is held on (circled red)

t2jou7.jpg.26a7b7b5540a8139a181dc19da2c12a9.jpg

9. Once you're happy, push the lense and the housing back together best you can, they should clip back in. Then put the light back in the oven for 2 mins .

10. Using the tea towel again, push the light back together again.

11. Once cool apply a bead of silicon sealant round the lense, to make sure there no leaks.

12. Refit the wiring, bulbs and rubber caps.

One clear fog light...

tjou8a.jpg.241ca124cd891326129f2f0bb1b956c2.jpgt2jou8.jpg.0733c3775b4d9bbdbc7788ecb21d4fa9.jpg

Please note that ovens do vary (mine usually nukes everything) so take care when heating your light and do so at your own risk.

Link to MOT friendly red led fog light bulbs (Thanks Chris and Ian)...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-7440-7443-T20-11W-Power-LED-Red-Brake-Tail-Bulbs_W0QQitemZ200344322754QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea573c2c2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

(if the link has expired search for '2pcs 7440 7443 T20 11W Power LED (Red) Brake/Tail Bulbs' on ebay - The seller is from HK)

• Like 1

WARNING!!!! Thinking "hmmm i'll give that another minute in the oven" is NOT i repeat NOT a good idea, just managed to melt some of the plastic (new light now required) :rant::rant:

Also had a bad time trying to get the rear bumper back on, the shuts are now a bit wonky so i'm going to have to get my bodyshop mate round to fix it.

Cheap mod, but don't be surprised if it all goes balls up and ends up costing you a lot of cash. :rant::angry::angry::angry:

R :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

• 2 weeks later...

OK Ive fallen at the first hurdle - luckily the bit before I put it in the oven :thumbs:

I cant remove the grey connector from the black post - Ive had a terminal driver down there but cant shift it more than a couple of mm. Is there a clip at the bottom or is it just a case of spreding the plastic apart?? Dont want to use too much force

Cheers

OK Ive fallen at the first hurdle - luckily the bit before I put it in the oven :thumbs:

I cant remove the grey connector from the black post - Ive had a terminal driver down there but cant shift it more than a couple of mm. Is there a clip at the bottom or is it just a case of spreding the plastic apart?? Dont want to use too much force

Cheers

Theres a clip-like notch about half way down, between the black post and the connector. You do have to use quite a bit of force to get the connector off.

any pics of end result ?

Unfortunately I meant I had only got as far as stripping the light down, will be baking it over the weekend but Im sure the finished product will look like the one at the top of the thread.

Cool :thumbs:

any pics of end result ?

At a guess it will look the same as any other clear foglight :p

you sure? you got any pics of yours to post up so we can compare when the other one is done and fitted and more pics are posted up ;)

Sorry to appear rather naive, but is it not possible to just buy a replacement unit with clear lenses?

It is but you dont want to know the price, into three figures! :scare:

Grant, you shouldnt need to replace any clips so long as you take your time and dont break the ones you pop off. :thumbs:

Sorry to appear rather naive, but is it not possible to just buy a replacement unit with clear lenses?

It is but you dont want to know the price, into three figures! :scare:

I suppose I should have known, really. :blush: