K1 with some interesting findings (pictures added)

maz77

sorry for the delay but it been a very busy couple of weeks.

big thanks to CS for supplying this awesome kit :thumbs: . absolutely love it.

got the box following the easter break :yahoo:

P1000950x.jpg

P1000951x.jpg

got to work straight away only to shatter one very rusty bolt so had to take the car to a local garage for bolt to be drilled out. £30 later thats what it looks like now

two points of interest

1. running the K1 without the bungs for the first day or so the was vibrating like mad. so jacked it up for closer inspection to find the middle pipe coming to contact with the structural rigidity enhancing cross member

P1000953x.jpg

an adhesive heat shield was but between that and the pipe and a test drive proved it works wonders in terms off eliminating vibrations.

another thing to note is that the pipes comes very close to the diff housing (not touching). currently there about 3 mm gap between the two

P1000956x.jpg

should keep an eye on it and see if there are any signs of contact there as well.

2. the fuel consumption on the car has actually improved with the new exhaust. previously I was getting an average of 21.9 MPG and after the installation it is giving me 24.3 MPG on avarage. wither this is an isolated finding or a genuine improvement with the K1 exhaust I'm not sure but thats been the case since I fitted it. would be interesting to hear from members who fitted the same kind of exhaust

over all I'm very pleased with the mod and I drive the car without the bungs most of the time but I take extra care when I'm in a residential area :lol:

pictures

standard exhaust

P1000952x.jpg

after

P1000958x.jpg

P1000957x.jpg

P1000959x.jpg

P1000962x.jpg

P1000963x.jpg

and before you lot start the stubby is on its way and yes the car had a wash afterwards.

Didnt have any contact issues with the Buddy Club :yahoo:

Tom seem to think yours wasnt made by Buddy Club going by the others he had seen. Said it was far too well made to be a Buddy Club :lol: Good for you though, he said it was very well made.

Ah, I may have to look into the adhesive heatshield thing too.

Can you tell me what you actually used?

Thanks

I dont think the coupe has that supporting cross member underneath. however, you might need to keep an eye on the diff housing.

this is the sort of material I used:

http://www.quartermile.co.za/info/produ ... rriers.htm

second one.

I got it from DMS in erith. they use it on their race car manifolds so it should withstand exhaust temperature easily. PM dixon @ DMS or have a look on line if you require the stuff.

• 2 months later...
The K1 really settles down after a couple of hundred miles. Mine was unbearable the day after I fitted it but now drive with the bungs out all the time.

Got a great reading on the dyno with the K1 too :thumbs:

It hasn't settled down at all, your hearing is just going so doesn't sound as loud!!! :lol:

I think after your exhaust broke the Dyno, they rigged you up to a richter scale. Your 303 was actually the worlds worst earthquake caused by you!!! :lol:

The K1 really settles down after a couple of hundred miles. Mine was unbearable the day after I fitted it but now drive with the bungs out all the time.

It hasn't settled down at all, your hearing is just going so doesn't sound as loud!!! :lol:

I think after your exhaust broke the Dyno, they rigged you up to a richter scale. Your 303 was actually the worlds worst earthquake caused by you!!! :lol:

:lol: No, trust me it was horrific! It gave me a headache in Wales. Drove past Maccaman who was directing the convoy and actually hurt his ears (sorry mate) :lol:

Mine just arrived today (thanks to chilli) have got it booked in with a mate on saturday to use his ramps but to be fair its actually less to fit without the y pipe so i might have a crack tomorrow with the axel stands.

how many people have fitted without ramps?

Cheers

Chris

I have to agree with ian that the K1 settles down after few weeks.

I also think it does improve the fuel consumption as it is a less restrictive exhaust (at least on paper) thats why its louder :teeth:

Mine just arrived today (thanks to chilli) have got it booked in with a mate on saturday to use his ramps but to be fair its actually less to fit without the y pipe so i might have a crack tomorrow with the axel stands.

how many people have fitted without ramps?

Cheers

Chris

Hi, jacked her up as far as poss and put on stands.I too didn't have y-pipe so it was fairly straight forward....go for it :thumbs:

They dont settle down dudes, you just get used to them a bit after a while.

I had the same with the buddy club, im used to it now and dont find it all that loud, but everyone else does!

Mine definitely calmed down. It was headache inducing before and actually hurt my ears. Are you trying to say I've deafened myself?

Think about it, there will be some difference in exhaust not will all of the following happening

1) ECU adapts to exhaust probably changing fueling etc

2) Carbon builds up inside exhaust after a few hundred miles.

3) The packing in the silencers will also break down a little

Here's a sensible question... Is the K1 legal with respect to the ( I think ) 100dcb sound barrier? Or could an anal retentive plod give you points for disturbing the peace?

Another three points and I'll be back on my bone shaker!

I think if you found the wrong copper in a bad mood you'd get a slap on the wrist at least. I think Lexx or lilsheepshagger got pulled over before. I just tend to not accelerate when passing police whether it be holding the clutch in and coasting past them or just holding the revs (depending on which gear) just incase :thumbs:

There is no official legal limit for cars, as the MOT only says that the exhaust should be reasonable for a car of that type, or some other legalese nonsense. I've never had any issues, but then I don't tend to drive in a way where I'd be asking for trouble anyway.

When you say "bungs" out what do you mean by that?

Its the same with my clio, although im more concious as if i saw a 350z go past with a loudish exhaust it looks standard but they clio would look chav. I tend to shift at 2krpm and only give it slight throttle round town.

Most exhausts quieten down after 1k miles same with decat. I'm thinking about running a k1 or k2 with a custom Y pipe and decat, would that be silly loud?