How can I tell if my JDm has a limited Slip Diff?

premmitt

How can you tell if the car has a limited slip diff - by just looking at it :headhurt:

Its an '04 JDM but has all the extras - brembos, sat nav, 18s, 6 speed box, 6 air bag interior, had a bose system buts its been removed, It dioesn't have leather though so actual spec is too hard to tell.

Am concerned as its due for an MOT and have been told not to let test center test rear brakes on the rollers if it has an LSD

Any help?

Paul

How do you guys know he has an LSD? I just read one of the other sites that not all Zeds have it.

Not sure what spec my JDM is but it has brembos, VDC but no leather/satnav etc. Would I have a LSD?

Sorry to revive an old topic :blush:

easiest test to find out if you have LSD is to take your car out to a quite country road, place the car so that the left side is on a gravelly or muddy or loose surface, and the other is on tarmac.

then pull away hard, if i remember correctly a car with LSD should pull away straight with no tugs on the steering wheel. the one with out LSD should veer slightly as one side is grabbing for traction while the other has it.

correct me if i'm wrong but that should be a fairly good indication.

easiest test to find out if you have LSD is to take your car out to a quite country road, place the car so that the left side is on a gravelly or muddy or loose surface, and the other is on tarmac.

then pull away hard, if i remember correctly a car with LSD should pull away straight with no tugs on the steering wheel. the one with out LSD should veer slightly as one side is grabbing for traction while the other has it.

correct me if i'm wrong but that should be a fairly good indication.

I'll give it a try - cheers :teeth:

How do you guys know he has an LSD? I just read one of the other sites that not all Zeds have it.

Not sure what spec my JDM is but it has brembos, VDC but no leather/satnav etc. Would I have a LSD?

Sorry to revive an old topic :blush:

because all Z's with brembo's have LSD

All Z's with VDC also have LSD's

IIRC and what Adam is elluding to is that its only the "base" models that dont have LSDs. Anything more than base will have one :)

I just didn't want to come out and say that because I don't know if the trim levels are all called the same thing worldwide, or if some countried get features others don't with certain trims

IIRC and what Adam is elluding to is that its only the "base" models that dont have LSDs. Anything more than base will have one :)

I just didn't want to come out and say that because I don't know if the trim levels are all called the same thing worldwide, or if some countried get features others don't with certain trims

Thats fair enough, sorry, I should caveat what I said with that is in the US. I'm trying to find out if all UK and JDM cars have the diff. I beleive that all UK cars do have them, but not sure on JDM.

:blackeye:

Just reading this... didn't know the Z has a LSD (mine is a JDM also) had mine NCT (MOT in IRELAND) the other weekend and could almost swear that the guy put it on the rollers to test my rear brakes, he took a good while to get the car through and he was enjoying the car for sure.

What happened when he put it on the roller?

Should I be: :byebye:

:?

my mot tester did the same,

only found out after that you shouldn't put a car with LSD on those brake roller testers.

apparently it puts force back into the gearing which its not designed to take. i.e instead of the engine spinning the gears and then the wheels, the rollers end up spinnning the gearing in the LSD.

if i'd have realised i would have told them not to do that. :dry:

my mot tester did the same,

only found out after that you shouldn't put a car with LSD on those brake roller testers.

apparently it puts force back into the gearing which its not designed to take. i.e instead of the engine spinning the gears and then the wheels, the rollers end up spinnning the gearing in the LSD.

if i'd have realised i would have told them not to do that. :dry:

:blackeye: that sounds pretty damn bad to me :bang:

that was my first ever MOT, and thats the one and only time i'll let it happen. i think it s a case of whats done is done, and suprising how many garages don't know that as well.

don't forget most MOT test centres are used to dealing with your average mondeo and vectra and that cars awith LSD are alot rarer and they probably wouldn't know the car to diagnose that it had an LSD.

i know of several dealerships that use independent MOT centres and don't do it themselves.

The first mot I had it came up on the computer that it was not to brake tested on the rolling road.

Luckily the garage that mots my car is a family friend so I get to stand there while they do it :ninja:

The first mot I had it came up on the computer that it was not to brake tested on the rolling road.

Luckily the garage that mots my car is a family friend so I get to stand there while they do it :ninja:

i stood there and whatched them do it, never seen it before so was even asking them about it. :headhurt::doh:

i stood there and whatched them do it, never seen it before so was even asking them about it. :headhurt::doh:

Was standing looking at her from 1st floor through a Window, hungover to bits... Will remember for the next time... *ssholes...

Yup, it should flag up. Instead they are meant to do the brake test on the road with a datalogger/g-metre I think. They manually measure that the brakes pull enough force. Zed should pass it a piece of p*ss!

Just dont let them do it next time mate, it can knacker it!