Another helicopter down...

srobrien

Another offshore helicopter has crashed in the North sea, all aboard are feared dead...just hits home as it is for me and all the other offshore workers a normal means of getting too and from work and we never give it a second though. Until something like this happens

my thoughts go out to the familys of the passengers and crew on board.

R

And to think these were going to replace the need for stanby boats :wacko:

The simulated swimming pool escape was enough to scare the hell out of me, I hate the things.

A very sad loss.

If they ever got rid of the standby boats then i think that would be the end of my offshore days, i wouldn't like being out here alone without the comfort of having close standby cover.

R

It's bloody scary.

One of my colleagues is married to one on Bonds Chief Pilots. His route is the Miller. He went on holiday yesterday! It was his chopper that went down. SCARY!

Very sad, my thoughts go out to the loved ones. I just hope I don't know any of them. The oil game is a very close community really.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this on the new tonight was you guls who work offshore on this forum. Quite wierd considering I haven't met anyone off here yet!

Very sad news though, I can't imagine what it must be like to lose someone close to you like this.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this on the new tonight was you guls who work offshore on this forum. Quite wierd considering I haven't met anyone off here yet!

Very sad news though, I can't imagine what it must be like to lose someone close to you like this.

+1 Glad to hear you are all safely ashore.

So sad to hear of another crash just 6 weeks after the previous ditching. I just got home from the rig on Tuesday. Everytime I board a chopper its always in the back of my mind that it could be my last hour on this earth!! Im going to be really nervous flying back in 3 weeks time :(

Its a very sad day in the North Sea. Really hits home the dangers we face. Off-shore right now and some of the guys here know some of the guys that was in the chopper.

My thoughts are with the families and friends of everyone that was onboard.

Think the PLB's will have to come back.

So with these two incidents is it lack of mechanical maintenance or pilot error, or don't know yet?

Immy, the incident in February was apparently largely down to weather - the AAIB (Air Accidents Investigation Branch) found that the pilot flew into a "bank of fog" and couldn't identify the rig platform. It was a 'controlled ditching' (if you can call it that) where all crew and passengers escaped safely and the craft was largely intact.

This time is different. It is too early for any conclusions to be definitely made, as recovery and investigations are currently ongoing, but its clear that something went disastrously wrong. Apparently, there was just enough time for a mayday signal to be put out, before the chopper hit the sea hard. Don't think anybody had a chance in those circumstances. I would speculate possibly something to do with the rotor or gearbox, but don't know yet....

Extremely sad times, sombre mood around here. One of the men tragically killed is a friend of a friend :(

So with these two incidents is it lack of mechanical maintenance or pilot error, or don't know yet?

Immy, the incident in February was apparently largely down to weather - the AAIB (Air Accidents Investigation Branch) found that the pilot flew into a "bank of fog" and couldn't identify the rig platform. It was a 'controlled ditching' (if you can call it that) where all crew and passengers escaped safely and the craft was largely intact.

This time is different. It is too early for any conclusions to be definitely made, as recovery and investigations are currently ongoing, but its clear that something went disastrously wrong. Apparently, there was just enough time for a mayday signal to be put out, before the chopper hit the sea hard. Don't think anybody had a chance in those circumstances. I would speculate possibly something to do with the rotor or gearbox, but don't know yet....

Extremely sad times, sombre mood around here. One of the men tragically killed is a friend of a friend :(

Heard from a bond mechanic something interesting about the ditch into the sea (the happy ending one....) that the altimeter beeps even 50 feet. When they went through the bank of fog it didn't beep so they touched the water. Pulled up, damaged the tail rotor and then landed it and deployed the bags. The beepy module bit had an intermittent fault..... I heard this but I'm always skeptical and take everything with a pinch of salt though.