why can't the stock ecu be mapped in the uk?

wide

why can't the stock ecu be mapped in the uk?

is there any other reason apart from the cost of the mapping equipment?

i have spoken to a mapping company who say they can do it but it would mean investing a further £1000 on top of their existing mapping equipment (£10,000+), i told him that there was massive interest on this & all other 350z forums & that if it were possible he would make alot of money.

he said he would get in touch with the company in america, who make the equipment & to get back in touch in a week.

so what im really after, are the reasons why this hasn't been done before? & what the issues are?

thanks matt.

i'm guessing he'd have to be cheaper than £650 as thats the cost of the cheapest piggy back ECU i've come across so far. but thats before tuning time on a rolling road.

a reflash should be a prepared map which requires no tuning and allows the car to learn from its mods. i'm guessing it would have to lock the air fuel ratios to a point to stop the cancelling out. so that it would make use of the mods.

most peoples reasons that i've heard on the forum so far is the cost of the equipment and software thats initially needed to do it. The yanks have been doing it for ages. so it must be possible and there can't be that much difference between uk and US ECUs

If the nismo works :blush:

If it does then thats Zed folk law re-written ;)

As I said in the other thread Wilky had it fitted to his uk car and it worked, he just lost cruise control which I dont have anyway, I am very hopeful :)

Ooooh. I thought Middlehurst stopped offering it as it didnt work. Will be good to see how you get on. How much performance does it offer?

so what im really after, are the reasons why this hasn't been done before? & what the issues are?

thanks matt.

back on topic plz! :bang:

technosquare in the US is the best remap outift out there. But it is a ship out and return service. Your contact here might find it beneficial to enquire with them about an agency arrangement for technosquare rather than putting up new equipment etc. from a random mapping company.

Bobby

Guest prescience

a reflash should be a prepared map which requires no tuning and allows the car to learn from its mods. i'm guessing it would have to lock the air fuel ratios to a point to stop the cancelling out. so that it would make use of the mods.

Run that past me again :wacko:

i thought a reflash on an ecu was wiping the old map and installing a new one. my guess was that if a reflash allowed your mods to be taken into account then it must have an affect on the air and fuel ratios.

currently if you add a breathing mod the ecu reduces the amount of throttle needed (does it not also change the air fule mix) maybe i just answered my own question. :blush:

the reflash must do something to stop the throttle being reduced? does it?

Guest prescience

i thought a reflash on an ecu was wiping the old map and installing a new one. my guess was that if a reflash allowed your mods to be taken into account then it must have an affect on the air and fuel ratios.

currently if you add a breathing mod the ecu reduces the amount of throttle needed (does it not also change the air fule mix) maybe i just answered my own question. :blush:

the reflash must do something to stop the throttle being reduced? does it?

I thinkI'd recommend googling 'fuel trim' in the first instance and then perhaps check out this guide :D

http://www.gadgetonline.com/U-Tune.pdf

Guest prescience

Here is a free, guaranteed-to-work, modification which all N/A drivers can do and which will get and will continue to the best out of your mods and frankly I'm AMAZED no-one has picked upon it (with apologies to sentry65 in the States when he was N/A)

Reset your ECU every 2nd day or so

This works because it sets both long and short fuel trims to zero.

There is no reason not to, after all everyone turns their PC on and off every day :thumbs::thumbs:

This is NOT an April Fool's Joke either

I must say - although a newbie - i have been reading a lot around the forums and as a potential 350z buyer, i find it absolutely ridiculous that you can't just re-chip the thing like the majority of other cars.

Why the hell does the bloody thing "cancel out the mods"? :mad:

A lot of modern cars dial out the 'gains' and prevent the chip from being easily modified, not just the Zed. I guess they do it to keep the experience consistent for future buyers or something.

A lot of modern cars dial out the 'gains' and prevent the chip from being easily modified, not just the Zed. I guess they do it to keep the experience consistent for future buyers or something.

I would expect the main thing it aids in is warrenty claims. It deters people from fitting bits that could potentially cause the engine harm (mainly the actual muppet fitting it :blush: ) in an attempt to get more power. This means that hopefully the car is more relaible and less prone to break. Also it allows a simpler ECU to be used. If you look at the aftermarket ones, with things like better resolution on the mapping, they would cost Nissan more to produce. By keeping it locked down to exactly what they want it to do, they can keep things a lot simpler.

Not really a long term fix though. I mean, if I were tracking my Zed, it wouldnt be very good if I had to pit every 3 laps to do an ECU reset.

Wouldnt it be easier to just do a manual (as apposed to fly by wire) accelerator cable like ZMANALEX?

Not really a long term fix though. I mean, if I were tracking my Zed, it wouldnt be very good if I had to pit every 3 laps to do an ECU reset.

Wouldnt it be easier to just do a manual (as apposed to fly by wire) accelerator cable like ZMANALEX?

He has a manual throttle cable? Interesting... B) More details would be great if you have them.

He has a manual throttle cable? Interesting... B) More details would be great if you have them.

Manual throttle requires a full replacement aftermarket ECU. The stock ECU wouldnt know what to do with it!

Here is a free, guaranteed-to-work, modification which all N/A drivers can do and which will get and will continue to the best out of your mods and frankly I'm AMAZED no-one has picked upon it (with apologies to sentry65 in the States when he was N/A)

Reset your ECU every 2nd day or so

This works because it sets both long and short fuel trims to zero.

There is no reason not to, after all everyone turns their PC on and off every day :thumbs::thumbs:

This is NOT an April Fool's Joke either

How do I reset my ECU ? Not all of us are techies. I take the point that it is a bit of a pain, but if allows extra gains from 'extra air' mods then it sounds a good start. Could alwasy reset it just before a big run out and then just leave it to trim the rest of the time if I understand it correctly - which I'm doubting as this stuff is just so confusing. First thing I was told was replace the plenum or fit a spacer, others since have said this sometimes loses power !! Oh for a definitive answer once in a while. :wacko:

Manual throttle requires a full replacement aftermarket ECU. The stock ECU wouldnt know what to do with it!

Pffhh :dry: Always a catch.