USA Vortech Kits

g60luke

Hi,

If you bought a Vortech Supercharger Kit from the USA wold it be OK on a UK car.

I know the mechanical bits would prob be OK, but would the piggy back ECU etc suit the UK car due to different fuel grades in the US?

:wacko:

Has anyone here done this?

there are both V2 and V3 versions of the kits -the V2 uses an external oil resevoir, the V3 is internally lubed (and has been the more popular setup as of late)

standard boost is 9 psi on the revup engines

safety is all down to the person mapping it, like on any other car. The Vortech setup is sold in 2 versions - one is a tuner kit, which is the basic s/c kit itself. It leaves the choice of engine management, fuel pump/injectors up to the buyer. The other version of the kit comes with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, larger injectors and a piggyback wire in fuel controller.

Thanks again for the reply Adam...

So the full kit that supplies the fuel pump / Piggyback controller etc is premapped to run as a plug-and-play setup then?

Do you still get all the safety of the factory ECU like knock sensors etc with this?

Is 9psi safe on standard internals? Assuming I would run Super-Unleaded and probably fit a water injection kit to stop pre-detonation?

Cheers

Luke

Thanks again for the reply Adam...

So the full kit that supplies the fuel pump / Piggyback controller etc is premapped to run as a plug-and-play setup then?

Do you still get all the safety of the factory ECU like knock sensors etc with this?

Is 9psi safe on standard internals? Assuming I would run Super-Unleaded and probably fit a water injection kit to stop pre-detonation?

Cheers

Luke

Luke - it comes "premapped" inasmuch as the map supplied will start the car. However, you still must have it tuned by someone to make the most efficient use of the kit. It is not plug and play, requires some splicing. Stock ecu remains in place, so knock sensors, etc are fully functional

Among our customers, most go for the tuner version of the kit and then purchase a fuel pump, injectors, 1 step colder spark plugs and usually a UTEC to make it all work well together

With stock boost, you certainly can run a water injection setup if you like, but it's not required.

Hi Adam,

So the base map to get it started and running is not good enough to leave in it as a finished solution?

How is the piggyback ECU mapped? Does it come with software to allow mapping at any reputable rolling road?

Cheers

Luke

I bought a Vortech tuner kit for my revup from Adam@Z1, and only had it tuned last week.

IMO forget about the full kit. Get the tuner kit, a set of larger injectors and a pump and a UTEC or better, and you'll be much better off. I went with the Haltech Platinum ECU, which absolutely thrilled my tuner, because it was so easy to tune and he made 400whp. But that would cost more, so it's your choice.

I understand the following couple of lines might sound like I'm a fanboy, but Adam was probably the best trader I've ever used on an online purchase, so you can't go wrong with him. He has knowledge of Z, and he sounded like an enthusiast to me, and that's good in my book as far as traders go!

And his shipping rates are simply unbeatable.

OP, if you need to know more, PM me.

Hi Adam,

So the base map to get it started and running is not good enough to leave in it as a finished solution?

How is the piggyback ECU mapped? Does it come with software to allow mapping at any reputable rolling road?

Cheers

Luke

Luke - it's essentially good enough to get the car to your tuner, but not suitable for any meaningful, long term usage IMHO. When you're dropping the kind of coil one of these kits go for, best off to have it mapped for your particular car, by a trained professional IMHO - it ensures everything is running smoothly, and allows you to tailor it to suit your particular needs, fuel choice, etc

The kits come with the Split Second piggyback, so anyone familiar with that unit can easily sort it for you. As Alex mentioned though, IMHO the tuner is the one to go for, as it really lets you tailor the setup to suit your own needs/wants without being tied down to just 1 direction

• 2 months later...
LHD supercharger on a RHD car? Are you sure it would fit? :blush:

and most US turbo kits will probably also fit a UK car. AFAIK only the Greddy won't fit (can't remember the reason though) but the APS and others most probably do.

The manifolds interfer with the steering rack :thumbs:

I'm not sure if any of the single turbo kits will fit either