Engine stutter at low revs

quazar

Hi Guys, I've recently bought a new 350Z GT and I'm experiencing a stutter or missfire in low revs. I've had the car back to the dealers and they are saying that there is nothing wrong with it! I'm not finished with them yet.

The description of the problem is that when you are in traffic doing 0-15MPH, as most of us do these days in rush hour traffic. I'm in 1st an the engine hits the 1100rpm mark, with the clutch fully out and you need to gently accelerate, you press the accelerator an the engine dies momentarily then picks up. Giving you a nice Kangaroo petrol effect and apart from the embarrassment, its putting a major strain on the gearbox. This is noticable in most low gears but is there at the same engine revs in all gears. I now find myself slipping the clutch in traffic all the time to avoid the problem.

Has anyone else experienced a simlilar problem or have any advice on how to get it resolved.

:welcome: buddy.

Never had this issue in mine, though it can be a little jumpy in slow moving traffic. I take that as a trait of the car, the same as my RX8 was.

Im sure someone will be along soon with a better answer!

Could be your in need of a grounding kit or it could be you have a hose off in the engine bay, check the vacuum lines to the plenum and the air intake(s)

Or it could be something else and as its new, chuck it at the dealer to sort... it dosnt sound right!

Hi Guy's, wow! what a forum thanks for the welcome and quick replies :D

Lexx - Yes I know what you mean by jumpy, but that's part of the pleasure of having one. It's very eager to please when you step on the gas.

IanS - The car has only done 1600+ miles and has a tick over around 800rpm. I thought the problem might have settled down during the running in period, but it's just the same. I've booked it back in with dealer to give them another try at discovering the problem.

2FIDDYZ - Yes back to the dealers tomorrow, I'll post the outcome.

Welcome to the club :thumbs:

Check / try these things:-

1. Is the aircon on when this happens, or off? If it is off, then the car can get a lumpy idle. See if it does it with the aircon on

2. Do a search on here for throttle position sensor reset and ECU reset. If something has been knocked out of sync, these resets can sort everything out. And save you dealer prices!! :)

back to the dealers and take a Nissan engineer out with you and show him the problem then do the same in on a forecourt Z to make a comparison. Make sure you drive on each occasion. This way you will prove that there is a problem

:welcome:

Hi Guys, its back with dealer at the moment so i'm hoping that they sort it out ;)

M13KYF - I took a service engineer out with me to explain the problem the first time it was back to the dealer, he agreed with me on the test drive that there was something wrong. However he later said there was nothing wrong with it as the engine management system was showing no faults.

Hamster - thanks for the imput 'leaky throttle valve gasket' that will be nice to have to quote to them.

H5 & Maccaman - throttle reset, cool I'll mention that as well.

If it comes back the same I'll get hold of their Demo model and see how that compares.

I'll post an update, later.

Sounds like you are on top of it mate, just a shame that the technicians seem totally inept. Any good mechanic knows that not all faults will be shown on the the diagnostics machine as that requires a part to compeletely fail usually and some sensor to pick it up. For example, my car was recently stalling when I started it. That didnt throw any error codes, but it was a sticky throttle causing it. Cleaning out the throttle body solved it. If I had taken it to Nissan, they'd have probably said nothing was wrong!

Just keep pushing them and they'll get there in the end :headhurt:

Hi Guys update 13th March - Dealers still don't know what is wrong with the car but at least they now accept that there is a problem. This has taken me several phone calls to them, and taking the service manager out in the car to prove the fault to him.

Beleive it or not but after they have had the car for 2 full days, all they could come up with was that they wanted to take the engine and gearbox out of the car as they though that the problem was in the clutch to gearbox. And to top it off they wanted me to sign on the dotted line to pay for this, as they said abusive driving is not covered by the warranty. Naturally I went ballastic. :boxing:

After having waited to talk to the service manager, for for what seemed like ages, and then taking hime on a test drive which proved that this fault had nothing to do with the clutch and gearbox. He has since agreed to get expert help from Nissan to get the possible causes and get back to book it in again to get it sorted.

Cheers - Quazar :)

The probable reason for wanting to remove the gearbox would be to check the air gap between the crank position sensor and the clutch flywheel.

If there is an issue there then that would result in the symptons that you describe.

However that would be a warranty issue and no payment should be asked or given.

I could also think of at least a dozen other potential faults that would give you the same symptoms but I would only be speculating as to what one it would be that is giving you grieff.