Unpredictable/scary oversteer

WillR

Hi all

I'm having a problem with my Z - the handling is unpredictable and occasionally tends towards massive and unexpected oversteer.

I drive the same road every day and yet sometimes under moderate power the back end repeatedly steps out and has to be corrected (in a big way) by the stability control. Yet other days it is fine. I had put it down to ice but now the weather has warmed up it is clear this is not the case. When it happens there will generally be a number of 'moments' in quick succession even driving gently. Then after a period of time the car returns to normal. It is as if the tyres get covered in oil and then it works its way out. Several times I have stopped and checked the rear tyres are still inflated!

Before you all point out that there is 300bhp through the rear wheels - I've driven this road with a variety of powerful RWD cars before, including one with no traction or stability control, and never had a problem. When I got the Z I expected to turn the electronic nanny off and drive it like my previous RWD car, but it is apparent that this would result in leaving the road backwards after a very short period of time!!

Any ideas? All I can think is some sort of diff problem?? Obviously I've check the basis like tyres inflated, have tread, etc!!

All suggestions thankfully recieved.

Will.

Sounds like poor tyres or camber adjustment as mentioned. The standard Bridgestones are what you need at the very least which are very good in the dry and "ok" in the wet and will not result in what you are having. Cheaper low quality tyres will have much poorer grip. However sounds more like the camber or alignment is out.

Great - thanks for all the replies

Falken /245 at the rear, Khumo/225 at the front - previous owner seemed to think the Falkens are a good match for the car but I have no way of knowing!

I haven't liked Bridgestones on previous cars finding them prone to tramlining, however have liked Conti Sport M3s and Toyo Proxes - anyone any views on which is better?

Sounds like new boots and a full alignment check is the way forward!

Will.

Falken /245 at the rear, Khumo/225 at the front - previous owner seemed to think the Falkens are a good match for the car but I have no way of knowing!

DING DING DING

Don't mix and match tyres, else you end up with the exact issues you're having. Change the fronts for Falkens (presuming they're the 452) and you should be fine. If they're not the 452s then I'd be tempted to ditch the lot and get either the 452s, Toyo T1-Rs or if you're feeling flush and want the best grip, a set of Pilot Sports.

• 10 months later...

Yes, it'll make the world of difference and will greatly contribute towards any instability you'll have. Sell the F1s and get another two MPS on the back, it'll be a billion times better.

The F1s are very good tyres, but you can't get the fronts in the correct size hence the reason you'll want to go back to the MPS.

No manufacturer supplies a car with mixed tyres, that tells a story in itself.

Each tyre type , even of the same brand, has different characteristics in terms of the tread and sidewall construction so they will behave differently on the road. For example Bridgestones 040's are generally regarded as poor whereas many that have experienced Bridgestones 050's are much more complementary.

From the hundreds of posts I have seen on here in the past 4 years on this subject - the one thing that is common is that the ZED is very sensitive to what tyres are being used, wheel alignment, tyre pressures (35 degrees when cold) and in my experience the wear when it comes to driving conditions like we are now having.

I have been using Falken 452's all round on 19" Nismos and having done about 10k miles on them they are around half worn on the front and about two thirds on the rears and there is no doubt the grip has gone right off compared to when they were relatively new last winter. In the summer they were fine, in fact the grip level in the dry was too good to steer on the throttle easily but when it was wet and they were not as worn as they are now the grip was fanatastic.

So, personally I would not mix tyres, I regularly check the presures and even though tread levels are well above the minimum a change to new tyres is a good investment to help keep the ZED out of the scenery. Of course those worn tyres would be ideal for finishing off on a track day, if that appeals to you ;)

And I agree with the last post, MPS would be the best all round choice if your budget runs to them :thumbs: