Tyre mileages?

uberf1end

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a Zed so I am just gathering info on running costs. If you have the time, I would appreciate any info you have on what tires you have used and what mileages you got out of them before replacing (might be worth giving an indication of your driving style too!).

15 - 20k is probably normal doing day to day driving.

Sarnie is completely correct though. If you pussy foot around 30k might be possible.... Digsy..... or if you thrash EVERYWHERE wheel spinning then less than 5k on the back tyres is possible.

General running costs are pretty low.

They are popular in the states so parts can often be imported at much lower costs.

Tyres are popular sizes so availabilty widespread - priced from less than £100 fitted and balanced.

This forum is great for anything that you want from dedicated traders or second hand from members.

I got 27k out of a set of 19" goodyear eagle f1's rears...i couldn't believe how long they lasted and the fronts and still on with lots of tread. I drive the car hard and have never ever seen tyre wear like it. My type r used to have new shoes every 9k!!! :teeth:

As the others have said, its how you drive it. Be nice with the throttle and they last as long as any other car, mash it about and they wont! 20k is easily doable. I do a lot of motorway driving and my tyres have loads of tread left after 15k miles with them. Use them on the track or Wales runs and they'll soon disappear!

The oem Brodgestones that are as hard as nails lasted me about 12k. I then fitted Michelin Pilot Sports which are much better but softer and am getting around 9k from the rears and 12-14 from the fronts.

There is something wrong there. MPS are well know to be a brand that lasts for high mileage. Unless the Z has a particular fancy for mincing them, or you do a lot of wheel-spins, you must have a geometry problem :surrender:

My Contisports have done about 30K on the rear. Mostly motorway miles though and are probably at about 3mm now. The Toyos on the front have done more :teeth:

The oem Brodgestones that are as hard as nails lasted me about 12k. I then fitted Michelin Pilot Sports which are much better but softer and am getting around 9k from the rears and 12-14 from the fronts.

There is something wrong there. MPS are well know to be a brand that lasts for high mileage. Unless the Z has a particular fancy for mincing them, or you do a lot of wheel-spins, you must have a geometry problem :surrender:

My Contisports have done about 30K on the rear. Mostly motorway miles though and are probably at about 3mm now. The Toyos on the front have done more :teeth:

No nothing wrong as I have it checked regularly. Just got a heavy right foot and a lot of my driving is on B roads. :yahoo:

On a similar theme, my 57 plate 350Z has run off all four Bridgestone RE50A tyre in 10,000 miles. At the minute the tyres have only 2mm tread on the outside edge but have 5 to 6mm across the rest of the tyre. The car hasn’t been on the track and doesn’t get driven particularly hard.

I suspect it is a wheel alignment problem but Nissan GB are unwilling to do anything about it.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with the RE050A tyres?

On a similar theme, my 57 plate 350Z has run off all four Bridgestone RE50A tyre in 10,000 miles. At the minute the tyres have only 2mm tread on the outside edge but have 5 to 6mm across the rest of the tyre. The car hasn’t been on the track and doesn’t get driven particularly hard.

I suspect it is a wheel alignment problem but Nissan GB are unwilling to do anything about it.

Not to big on tyre choices, info e.t.c, sure someone will pop along soon bud, post up in the intro part and get some pics up. Welcome to the club btw :thumbs:

Sounds like under inflation to me.

It's popular for the inside to wear down with alignment being out.

I don't really think it's a Nissan GB issue. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though!

I'd check the legality of the tyres and get a wheel alignment done.

:thumbs:

Thanks Stew,

I have had the wheel alignment check today and it appears to be ok but the tyre pressure were a bit low. The good news is the main dealer were being over cautious when they said the tyres needed urgently replacing as there is still a minimum of 3mm tread left. Hopefully I will be able to make them last a couple more months.

• 3 weeks later...

Same year here and just passed 10k. Although only owned car for the last 5k, tyres seem to be showing similar wear to yours though the minimum is over 3mm on the outside edges of mine

• 2 months later...

Ive got the RE050As also and ive got 10.5k so far, down to 3-4 mm across the back, excluding that stupid half depth outer ring, and 4-5 mm on the front again excluding that half depth outer ring.

Tbh the rules say its 3/4 of the tread, so i think its ok to exclude the outer ring. As for them wearing quicker on the outsides, yh they do but you also need to remember that the most outer groove starts off at a lower depth than the rest of the tread, and it also has no markers on it to give an indication of depth remaining for the outer most groove.

Over the summer it wont matter too much, its only the standing water that screws you if you dont have enough tread you will aquaplane, but on a nice dry day there are no issues with shallow tread, as long as they are legal ofc.