Which Plenum Spacer Is Best???????

Reece995

Hi All, :D

Just wanted to see what you all reckon on the Plenum Spacers available and which will give me the greatest power gains when oupled to the JWT popcharger????

I have a Skunk Spacer already but want some opinions on if there is a better one I could fit???

Thanks in advance all :thumbs:

Reece

• 3 weeks later...
It is the general view that the JWT popcharger does not give power gains but that it does give an increase in noise.

The only space that fits under the strut bar is the 5/16 motordyn

The Altered Atmosphere spacer that we sell retains the strut brace as well

Adam how much is the AA one? does it have a heat soak gasket like the motordyne one?

Cheers.

I have the motordyne, its been on the car about 6months, Changed the plugs on sat to find the 4towards the rear of the engine bay to be fairly white in colour, normally showing that the fuel mix is lean. Anyone else expeirenced this? I have now removed the spacer. Going to run the car for a while and check the plugs again. If the spacer is causing the engine to run lean this could lead to some expensive valve repairs in time to come.

I have the motordyne, its been on the car about 6months, Changed the plugs on sat to find the 4towards the rear of the engine bay to be fairly white in colour, normally showing that the fuel mix is lean. Anyone else expeirenced this? I have now removed the spacer. Going to run the car for a while and check the plugs again. If the spacer is causing the engine to run lean this could lead to some expensive valve repairs in time to come.

I'd PM ZMANALEX or Adam@Z1 about that and search my350z.com. Not heard of anyone experiencing their car running lean since installing it. Its not meant to alter the back cylinders AFAIK, only balance the flow to the front 2. Weird indeed.

I'd PM ZMANALEX or Adam@Z1 about that and search my350z.com. Not heard of anyone experiencing their car running lean since installing it. Its not meant to alter the back cylinders AFAIK, only balance the flow to the front 2. Weird indeed.

I know its not meant to but increasing the capicity of the plenum increases air supply/flow to all cylinders. im going to run the car for a while and check the plugs again, then if there normal or white should determine whether the plenum is causing the problem or not. :scare:

I know its not meant to but increasing the capicity of the plenum increases air supply/flow to all cylinders. im going to run the car for a while and check the plugs again, then if there normal or white should determine whether the plenum is causing the problem or not. :scare:

First dibs on the plenum mate :thumbs::lol::lol:

It doesn't increase the flow, it evens the flow out. You get the same total air going through, just more equitably delivered.

It doesn't increase the flow, it evens the flow out. You get the same total air going through, just more equitably delivered.

And if my logic serves right, if its providing more flow to the front 2 cylinders, then the rear ones will be getting less air, and will be running richer.

And if my logic serves right, if its providing more flow to the front 2 cylinders, then the rear ones will be getting less air, and will be running richer.

I don't think so. i do agree with Toon chris though. There is equitable flow to all cylinders after plenum spacing so all cylinders will be optimised.

There is a net increase flow in the first two cylinders and therefore a small increase in overall flow which is dictated by intake and exhaust expulsion restrictions/temperatures.

Moreso the ECU will compensate for the improve flow and run an appropriate mix.

i think we need to objectively determine if the rear banks are running lean at all and identify/correct the problem rather than anecdotal evidence

For the general interest of anyone contemplating plenum upgrading i have added this link for comparisons.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/5/1887864

It is the general view that the JWT popcharger does not give power gains but that it does give an increase in noise.

The only space that fits under the strut bar is the 5/16 motordyn

The Altered Atmosphere spacer that we sell retains the strut brace as well

Adam how much is the AA one? does it have a heat soak gasket like the motordyne one?

Cheers.

$250 + shipping

the fancy gaskets (no matter who they are from) are a great marketing tool, but useless in the real world. Everything in the engine bay is aluminum, everything gets extremely hot. Short of ceramic coating everything that emits heat, from the block, to the heads, to the plenums, to the intake pipe, etc, the heat issue is going to be present. Really not a concern when the car is moving anyway

with an intake, cats, an exhaust, spacer, you would be well served to have the ecu tuned

not quite ;)

the spacers are raising the entire plenum higher, thus increasing overall volume inside. The net result is that where the front 2 cylinders were more starved for air vs the rear 4, that difference is less with the spacer fitted, and more equalized. The angled spacers, like AAM, address the issue by only really affecting the fronts, others are an even thickness spacer and life the whole plenum equally. No real way is better than the other, just different (and of course, strut brace clearance is another issue)

I guess the only question remaining then is can these spacers make any of the cylinders run lean? Surely if all cylinders are getting equal (enough) air flow, and the various sensors are working correctly, the ECU will set the AF ratio correctly and you shouldnt get any cylinders running lean?

I guess the only question remaining then is can these spacers make any of the cylinders run lean? Surely if all cylinders are getting equal (enough) air flow, and the various sensors are working correctly, the ECU will set the AF ratio correctly and you shouldnt get any cylinders running lean?

depends on the level of mods to the car

by the time you fit an exhaust, cats/test pipes, spacer, intake, etc it really is time for a tune, as the car can certainly run rich

by the time you fit an exhaust, cats/test pipes, spacer, intake, etc it really is time for a tune, as the car can certainly run rich

Spot on as always Adrian :thumbs:

I meant to say can certainly run LEAN! Sorry!