Nightmare waxing car - product or process ??

mick43

I blame you lot really.... :boxing::dry:

Thought I'd go for a more professional wash and wax after reading stuff on forum so:-

Washed car with Poorboys car wash, dryed with drying towel. Left over night (in garage) and then waxed using 'Collinite Super Double Coat' car wax using a sponge applicator !! (I'm normally a wash it, add Mer when car still wet and polish off using best old T-shirts).

Collinite instructions: 'allow to dry to a haze and then polish off'.

Allowed to dry and then found wax is stuck to paint, impossible to clean off without re-applying more wax and then polishing off when not dry.

So did I do something wrong, or is this product not as good as it claims...:bangin:

I did notice paint seemed 'dry' and rough as applying wax... maybe not sufficient wax on car to start with ??

thanks....

You will get many views on different products but its never as easy as it says on the tin.

Had this happen to me when I got sidetracked, its a mare to get off again. I got mine professionaly valeted and watched with interest, learnt a hell of a lot. Stevie040 is near you. He doesnt offer the full detaining service anymore but will do a great job if you are interested.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... ight=shiny

I think collinite is very hard so when it dries it's a nightmare to remove. I quick mist with a quick detailer and it's come off no probs.

If the car feels rough it's worth claying the paintwork to lift the contaminates.

Hi Mick,

I've made this mistake before, don't take this the wrong way but I've basically bought a product I wasn't ready to use and ended I spent a ages correcting my hand work!

I've been using the poorboys range too and the Natty's paste is very good. You apply it to a dry car with a damp applicator and it's buffs off easily with a microfibre cloth, even if you let it dry...

http://www.poorboysworld.com/natty-blue.htm

Lots of places in the UK sell Nattys for about 15 pounds a tub. I'm in IG9 if you fancy having a look :thumbs:

Matt

Can't comment on the Collinite, but I also moved up to more 'professional' products after joining this site.

What were you using to buff off the polish? If it is still the old trusty t-shirt that may be adding to the problem. I had always used an old piece of cotton t-shirt since my youth along with turtle wax original :lol:. Bought myself some Meguires gold class and could I shift this stuff - not. Now use a micro fibre cloth and it makes the job a lot, lot easier.

Use my fingers to apply and microfibre to remove my current wax :)

Weather is a little cold outside for doing the old waxing... just in from doing mine just with liquid wax and that was virtually freezing on the car as the sine went down....

As clarkie said, dont do the whole car, do one panel, then do the next one and by the time your done on that one go pack to the first..

You may have to clay the car now to get the wax off and then you may need to use a sealent before going onto the collinite.... H5 taught me all I know!!

Many Zed owners swear by Collinite and its claims of being long lasting (6 months to one year) are thought to be true!

I have used the collonite wax many times, i think the problem is that you left it on too long or applied it too thickly. I found the best way to apply it was to do the roof then the bonnet, go back buff off the bonnet then wax another panel and buff the bonnet - repeat on other panels. you shouldn't have any problems that way :D

Hope this helps

Rob

thanks all - guessed it was me - I'll take heed of the sound advice given - many thanks :thumbs:

(I managed to get it all off ok by doing a panel at a time - yep I put wax on the whole car :wacko: giving it time to dry :bangin: I'd agree I'm a novice with these products....)

I'd agree I'm a novice with these products....)

The first time you do it it's a mistake. The second time it's a f**k up. That's always been the way I look at it.

You learn from mistakes, I'd be sticking on a second coat next weekend (if you have time) for another practice. See how you get on and then you'll be good for a few months! :thumbs:

Sounds like possibly you used to much and or left it to cure for too long. Collinite can be a bit of a Bit#h to buff off in both of those circumstances.

If you do get into trouble use a spritz of water to ease it, or if your flush use QD. Keep turning your MF cloth, and if necessary use a fresh one.

As the others have said, its probably a bit of a few things that compound into making it hard to buff off. Collinite is notourously hard wax to apply but does last long so has its rewards. Next time, make sure you do nice thin layers, should hardly see it on the car, just a blurry look to it, doing a panel at a time, and it should be easier to shift. The cold wont have helped either as it would be hard to get it to spread evenly and thinly if it was cold.