Nissan plant to shed 1,200 jobs

That's a pity so many people are loosing their jobs. I hope they successfully manage to re-allocate people to new roles elsewhere.

the government are estimating fairly low un employment for this recession, but economists who don't work for the governemt are predicting highest unemployment in history, with well over 3 million that are going to be on the dole.

its going to get alot worse, i have friends who work in recruitment, they have said that alot of employers have cut the hourly rate for temps, and the tables have turned. it used to be difficult to fill all the positions, but now the work has all dried up, very few people are being given any temp work, as employers are cutting back.

and there are only so many jobs at supermarkets.

Its not good.

Hear a few calls for the Goverment to help out - which i can sympasis with - if they bail out the banks why not the Car market - its probably one of the only big manufacturing business we have left in the country.

The fact that Nissan had to cut back on the plant that is the most efficent in europe says it all. I can see most others following suite.

If drastic action is not taking I think we are going to see a very very tough year ahead. Nibbling away at the bank of england rate is good but for many its just meaning they are able to pay thier bills and CCs rather than go out an splash the cash.

and there are only so many jobs at supermarkets.

Most supermarkets are cutting back on staff atm aswell mate, you be lucky to be able to pick up a job there even now!

i must admit i do feel fairly safe in the teaching profession. not the greatest pay in the world, but it is a guaranteed job and pension.