Rear parking sensors on the front?

IanS16

Ok, you are going to think im an idiot for this but I wanted to know if I can fit a rear parking sensor the the front bumper of my car? (somewhere hidden obviously)

I have a Varis CF front splitter and I keep bumping it on the kerb as it doesnt clear it. Its not really getting damaged but im afraid that the mountings may crack and break.

Its okay usually but I have to park my car in a tight car park over night and the Zed is quite long really so I have to really tuck the Zed in.

And yes I need to learn to drive :lol:

on a very basic level there is no reason you couldnt get a single one and hide it behind the grille and then have some way of triggering it from in the car (maybe linked to the folding mirror button being pressed to close?

past that my boss has got radar sensors mounted under all of the bumpers and all around her 5 series, they do the trick if the car is in park mode, though someone hit her after she parked it almost a week after collection so who knows :)

Car Acne looks bad enough on the back, let alone on the front. No technical reason you couldn't do it, but it'd look bloody awful and you'd be admitting to the whole world you can't drive. ;)

Either learn to park further away from the kerb or take the splitter off.

I'd hide it behind the mesh grille I have so you couldnt see it.

Just an Idea anyway. Will have a trawl of ebay and If I decide to do it, I'll let you know how it goes.

My gaffa has a new X5 and his parking sensors are visual on the LCD screen. Pretty cool.

Car Acne looks bad enough on the back, let alone on the front. No technical reason you couldn't do it, but it'd look bloody awful and you'd be admitting to the whole world you can't drive. ;)

Either learn to park further away from the kerb or take the splitter off.

thats why i said behind the front grille, it wouldnt look right mounted into the bumper...

How do you mount it behind the mesh though? Unless it's big holed mesh it'll constantly be going off as it'll have an obstruction in front of it, and if the holes are that big you'll be able to see the sensors and it'll still look daft. They'll have to be mounted pretty low anyway to be able to 'see' the kerb, else they'll never go off.

My car is lower than the kerb already. Thats the problem. If it was higher than the kerb my tires would touch and not my front splitter.

I know what you mean about them going off all the time but im sure you can set them to have a tolerance? Theres a big difference radar wise between a kerb and a plastic mesh.

The front and rear parking sensors are a great idea. Totally stealth as well:D The price is reasonable too. Get it, and give us a report on how well it works. Someone should invent wheel sensors to stop that annoying kerbing:headhurt: especially when you've just spent a fortune on new wheels or a refurb, one of sods laws i'm afraid.

i'm sure i saw an ad for a similar set up last night on tv, asda, tesco that was £9.99 and it fits behind the bumper, does not reuire any drilling etc, works of batteries or hard wired, i would think you would need to fit a switch to any system to stop it being active all the time

saw this when in halfrauds earlier, seemed quiet interesting.

mounting the sensors in the number plate

i quite fancy some rear parking sensors, but hate the look of car acne, but this is alot more descreet, i can't see any reason it not working on the front with a little modification

http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarms ... ensors.htm

saw this when in halfrauds earlier, seemed quiet interesting.

mounting the sensors in the number plate

i quite fancy some rear parking sensors, but hate the look of car acne, but this is alot more descreet, i can't see any reason it not working on the front with a little modification

http://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarms ... ensors.htm

Think I'd rather have bumper acne, that backing looks massive! Plus, would it fit on the Zed?

That is the sort of thing I'm after though.