Well the hard work begins now

Madden

I managed to pick up the 350z project yesturday so the work began today.

Well have been outside all day freezing my tits off.:lol

Stripped it all down today so that i can check the damage out abit more. Both chassis legs are bent so i wont be spending anymore money till i get the body shop over to look at it. Its fixable but just need to make sure.

Been out for a drive today and it drives so sweet. Has some good torque and is fun with the traction control off. :lol Had a few weird looks from the yocals but they didnt mind and where giving me the thumb up :lol

The engine is sweet as a nut and hasn't been touched so all is good there. The only engine damage is a frayed aircon belt so happy days.:thumbs:

Figured out why the passanger door lock didnt work. Just a user error again as you have to push the unlock button twice to unlock the passanger door. :lol

The rear end damage is nothing bar a rear light cluster and maybe a bumper but hope to be able to fix that. I hope the boot lid could be fixed but if not i have found a carbon fibre one for £400 which will be painted to suit. The rear boot lids weighs a ton so the carbon will save alot of weight. :thumbs:

All the suspension is fine bar the rear lower tie rod which is cheap so no major job there. I managed to bend it back into shape by jacking the car up by it today. :lol

Here come all the pics:thumbs:

This is how it started out today

350Zstripdown14.jpg

And how it ended up

350Zstripdown15.jpg

And how it looked for its little drive :lol

350Zstripdown21.jpg

Chassis leg damage on O/S

350Zstripdown17.jpg

and N/S

350Zstripdown20.jpg

All the bits removed today

350Zstripdown.jpg

The front end that smashed to bits which is plastic. :shock:

350Zstripdown2.jpg

Whats left of the fans :lol

350Zstripdown4.jpg

How bent the front crash bar was :eek:

350Zstripdown3.jpg

Damage to rear wheel. Is this fixable ?

350Zstripdown5.jpg

Rear boot lid damage

350Zstripdown8.jpg

350Zstripdown6.jpg

The 2 nissans :thumbs:

350Zstripdown12.jpg

The rear end. Does the N/S exhaust tip look bent over abit?

350Zstripdown13.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea cheers guys and thanks to Martin for the bonnet.:teeth: Good man sir. Money will be on the way tomorrow sir. I complely forgot till i worked into it in the shed today :lol:

The plastic stuff is quite strange and does have some kind of fibreglass or carbon feel to it.

I have found a bumper but not to sure if its a good idea to get it as yet due to not having a body shop sorted yet.

The chassis legs should pull out ok but depends on how they will be after but anything can be fixed for a price and some hard work :D

Yea cheers guys and thanks to Martin for the bonnet.:teeth: Good man sir. Money will be on the way tomorrow sir. I complely forgot till i worked into it in the shed today :lol:

The plastic stuff is quite strange and does have some kind of fibreglass or carbon feel to it.

I have found a bumper but not to sure if its a good idea to get it as yet due to not having a body shop sorted yet.

The chassis legs should pull out ok but depends on how they will be after but anything can be fixed for a price and some hard work :D

If you are able to completely restore it bud i will be coming to you for the slight trolley dent i have in my door to be taken out :thumbs:

No hurry bud, 2 things I have plenty of, wheels and bonnets :lol:

Good luck mate!

When I smashed up the front end of my old one, the plastic bits (that the bonnet catch attach to etc) with the fiberglass feel were repaired by using the same sort of stuff that big lorries bumpers and stuff are mended with. Not entirely sure what it was (a kind of resin I guess?) but it may be worth asking a friendly bodyshop.

I'll ask what was used when I'm back at work on the 5th if you want?

May help for the time being while sourcing new parts?! :)

Just been reading the nissan body repair manual and the bent chassis legs are repalceable. As its only the ends of them bent over it should be a easy fix. The car will still need jigging as the n/s chassis leg has been pulled over a tad. The o/s is sweet from nissans measurements.

The parts list isn't too bad but its getting longer:lol:

Good a wanted thread up if anyone could help out with parts.:teeth:

So the rebuild begins. I was scared that i would have to break it but i have fallen in love with the car already:lol: and that would destroy me. I hate breaking up cars that can be fixed. I will save this thing if its the last thing i do.:lol:

Not to sure what toys it has. I know is have the nismo kit but not sure which one ?V1?

Havent really found a front bumper that i would like to put on it yet as it will be my ladys car when done and i will only be able to use it now and then :)

Not to sure what toys it has. I know is have the nismo kit but not sure which one ?V1?

Havent really found a front bumper that i would like to put on it yet as it will be my ladys car when done and i will only be able to use it now and then :)

If you get stuck you can always ask your local dealer.

:lol::lol:

Hell of a DIY project!

Noticed its running different rubber front and rear.

The Vredesteins on the front are amazing tyres. Get shot of those rear Bridgestones though!!

Though Im sure they are the last of your worries!

Yea the local stealer is a back up but i have a guy who can get me some parts trade so sweet.

I brought the car as is for cheap from a guy off here. He crashed it going sideways into a lampost.

The rears are almost dead so will be upgrading soon.

Well been doing more today. I wanted to strip down the rear end to make sure it was all ok behind the bumper and while i was doing it have a go with Han's hair dryer to see if i could get some practice in on removing dents in plastic.:lol:lol

Rear end stripped down and not even damaged the insulator. :thumbs:

newsyears2009040.jpg

The damage to the bumper.

newsyears2009043.jpg

newsyears2009044.jpg

And after a quick heat up with the hair dryer dent start disapearing. The bumper is going anyway but i thought i would tidy it up for now,

newsyears2009045.jpg

newsyears2009047.jpg

newsyears2009046.jpg

There is a hole in the bumper plus it had been fixed before so a new one is on the way.:thumbs:

This one shows how far i managed to pull the dents and bracket out compared to how far the boot lid had been pushed in. :shock:

newsyears2009048.jpg

Abit cleaner to look at for the neighbours :lol

newsyears2009049.jpg

Going to keep the nismo rear splats and parking sensors but i will have to drill holes into the replacement bumper which i hate freaking doing.

Got to see if the boot lid can be saved which is scaring me abit. :wacko: