any advice on bargaining with dealers

hotrain69

hello guys, was just wondering if you can offer any advice on bargaining with the dealers to stirke a bargain. in this current economic market where sales are slow in a buyers market, i was wondering what is the best way to negociate with a dealer. for example, for a zed marked at 19k, what is the lowest price that i can offer without angering the salesman.

any advice you have on this would be greatly appreciated. have a budget in mind, but not too many examples out there that fit my requirement so have been looking slightly aobve the budget and wondering if it's possible to haggle it back down to budget.

thanks guys

Be friendly.

be knowledgable to the point that your telling him things about the car/marque.

Don't tell him your budget and if he asks, lie.

Tell him you actually have the cash in the bank to do a deal.

tell him you REALLY want it.

be prepared to offer him example's of similar cars that are cheaper ( have print outs of ads if needed)

be bold, don't be scared of offering him a lot lower than they have it up for sale.

If he gets angry then that isn't the place to spend your cash.

On the test drive, appear underwhelmed.

Sales people look for "buying signals" such as enthusiasm on the test drive, willingness to talk about finance and how quick they could have the car ready etc. Deliberately drop these into the convo followed by lines such as " I wish i could stretch to afford this" etc etc.

The key i find is to take control of the conversation.

:)

Be friendly.

be prepared to offer him example's of similar cars that are cheaper ( have print outs of ads if needed)

be bold, don't be scared of offering him a lot lower than they have it up for sale.

Sales people look for "buying signals" such as enthusiasm on the test drive, willingness to talk about finance and how quick they could have the car ready etc. Deliberately drop these into the convo followed by lines such as " I wish i could stretch to afford this" etc etc.

You forgot to mention. Dont crash the car on the test drive :lol:

Sorry Merry Christmas Liam :thumbs:

Be friendly.

You forgot to mention. Dont crash the car on the test drive :lol:

Sorry Merry Christmas Liam :thumbs:

No,no your wrong.

Crash it then offer them £5k for it :teeth:

Happy Christmas Dave :thumbs:

Leave it till the last week of the month also as they have targets to hit and this is when they discount the most.

Sarnie is spot on with the buying signals bit.

Also be enthusiastic about Paint protection, accessories GAP etc, they will discount further thinking they can make the money back on these things. When you come to the final figures leave it for a day to think about it (preferably three days before the last day of the month, in case they are very close to target) and then do the deal for the discount price minus the extra's.

My old colleagues in the trade tell me that they are 40% down on last year and struggling heavily so now is the time.

All dealers try for a 2k mark up on used stock over 5k in value, and most new cars have at least a bag in them, also if it is a pre reg, they have upto 3k in them. so if you can check how much it was originally up for if its used or if its a pre reg if its new.

They will also be looking at getting 1-2k profit for your trade in if you have and its worth over 5k so bear that in mind when negotiating.

Just me 2p's worth and good luck

:thumbs:

Jay

In my opinion never be afraid to walk away if the deal is not what you want, even if you love the car but thy wont come down. Start walking away and 9 times out of 10 they will come after you and change there stance on the deal.

And try to get as many extras as possible - mats, air vent surrounds, door trims, luggage net, etc.

so i know and understand that buying at the end of the month is always good as the salesmen may be willing to give extra discounts due to meeting targets. so i was just wondering if it would be a disaster for me to buy in the first few days of jan? i've requested a car to be delievered to my local dealer and it prob wont get there till this friday which will be beginning of jan, so would the salesmen be less willing to discount?

The month end target bit is fable. Most targets are quarterly, and they're not all calendar quarters.... ;)

If a dealership is struggling, it will listen to you and you will be able to drive a deal. They want to survive just the same way you want a good deal :)

Keep an eye on how long it has been on sale for... they may be keen to deal if it has been there over the 3month mark. Taking up forecourt space has a price too.
...and its depreciating heavily all the time they have it. :)

its all good advice - and if you dont like the dealer or their attitude I would personally walk away! :dry:

Went from one muppet who treated me like s*** to another place that gave me an excellent part ex and purchase deal and great after sales service - RRG in altrincham (toyota though - I almost called them to source me a Zed when I was looking)! ;)

Keep an eye on how long it has been on sale for... they may be keen to deal if it has been there over the 3month mark. Taking up forecourt space has a price too.

i can only speak for my local area and they would not be concerned with forecourt space, nearly all garages are not carrying enough stock to fill their forecourt atm but any garage cannot take a sale lightly under the current climate