WANTED: Vortech supercharger kit - where to buy?

Xendric

Hi

I've decided to go FI and from the research I did here and on my350z.com, I've decided to go with the Vortech SC kit, as it appears to be safer and capable of the power I want.

I've managed to get soem decent deals from the States, but I'd like some feedback if I could get it from a trader on this forum or anywhere in the UK.

If anyone is selling a used kit, I'd consider it, though I'd prefer a new kit.

Please advise.

Cheers

Alex

He's not in the UK but Adam from Z1 is trusted trader on this site and will no doubt do you a good deal. Vortech's are few and far between in the UK and most UK sellers are likely to have little real-world experience of the product.

I had looked into the Vortech, but just out of curiosity why are you choosing it over say the Power Enterprise Twin Turbo kit? How about Envy? Think they sell the Vortech.

Because after reading many posts that compared a SC installation vs a turbo installation, I gathered that the SC is softer on the engine parts, puts down the power in a similar way to the stock motor, is cheaper to buy AND install.

The turbo configuration will give more TQ down low, will be a far better platform if you plan to strengthen your internals and go for bigger numbers (more than 500hp).

So after these pros and cons, I've decided to go with the SC. If I did go with the turbo, I'd pick up APS though. It's by far the most complete and best quality kit out atm.

I'd pick up APS though. It's by far the most complete and best quality kit out atm.

Complete.....Possibly :unsure:

Best Quality Kit..... :nono:

Ok alex may be not as good as HKS but far better than the Gready kit and has better turbos than the PE kit and is also water cooled which IMHO is the best way to go.

Why is the HKS better?

I'm not very experienced in this kind of stuff, so any insight would be appreciated.

I've read the Vortech kit is more reliable than anything, and also cheaper.

The downside is you can't go higher than 400whp, which is awesome for now, but it'd be good to know I could go higher if I chose so and also upgraded the internals.

I live in Greece and the temps here get really nasty in the summer. I was told air/air intercooler is better than water chargecoolers. Is that true?

Utter rubbish. Chargecooler is always preferable to an intercooler, it's just more expensive and needs more space to install. Given your location, that's what I'd be going with, even if it means going with some custom fabrication.

Tbh unless outright power is your thing, then the difference between how each setup will apply the power is more important than anything. Do you want something that feels like a larger NA engine, or something that gives you a proper kick in the back when it kicks in?

Why is the HKS better?

I'm not very experienced in this kind of stuff, so any insight would be appreciated.

I've read the Vortech kit is more reliable than anything, and also cheaper.

The downside is you can't go higher than 400whp, which is awesome for now, but it'd be good to know I could go higher if I chose so and also upgraded the internals.

I live in Greece and the temps here get really nasty in the summer. I was told air/air intercooler is better than water chargecoolers. Is that true?

Alex, the HKS system that has been mentioned is the twin turbo set up and is the best manufactured stuff on the market and that is what I am running at the moment mate.

The HKS supercharger kit is the Rotrex and I had that on a previous Z and it worked well with considerable more torque than the ATI Procharger C2 set up that I had on another Z.

You will not have temperature issues with the supercharger but you will have with a big power T T set up. (Serious heat soak)

Air to air is the way to go IMHO.

Superchargers will not produce the boost to give power over 400.

If you go supercharger now and find that you want more power then you will have to go T T at a later date with internals etc etc etc etc etc etc.

On both types of install proper mapping is key.

Cheers,

Alex.

I live in Greece and the temps here get really nasty in the summer.

Dont think we v got the roads in Greece for anything more than 400bhp on the rear wheels....went there last year in my maserati that had 390bhp and i could not drive without the ESP on...and temp was around 30 degrees (September) with no rain....I drove in Athens as well and never managed to accelerate hard on a traffic light..... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I believe a Rotrex type is good for that instant kick, but it doesn't deliver higher up in the revs, right?

TBH 400whp sounds awesome now. It'd be the fastest car I've owned and really not much could stand alongside you, unless you happen to run into something super fast. Which definitely sounds great right now. Maybe later I choose to go with a TT setup, but I believe I won't keep the car that long. Maybe 4-5 years I reckon.

Also, the power delivery of the SC seems more accessible for the road (note, I never go to the track). As Greekman said, the roads here are on the slippery side, especially in the summer months when the temp is upwards 40 degrees. So, even though I'd love a kick in the back from a turbo, maybe with a SC you can put the power down in a more controllable way in the twisties. In the straights, I'll probably miss the extra torque of the turbo, and I'm pretty sure a supercharger feels less powerful than a turbo at the butt-dyno.

Another good point I've gathered in my research is that with a SC the car behaves like a much more powerful factory 350z, while with a turbo it kind of alters its character. Not so important, but I think whoever said that has a point.

I'm not sure yet, TBH. I'm defintely leaning towards the Vortech because it's cheap, reliable and easy to install, but I haven't been convinced 100% yet.

Also, the power delivery of the SC seems more accessible for the road (note, I never go to the track). As Greekman said, the roads here are on the slippery side, especially in the summer months when the temp is upwards 40 degrees. So, even though I'd love a kick in the back from a turbo, maybe with a SC you can put the power down in a more controllable way in the twisties.

Which is why I'd go for an SC setup for track work and TT for the road, as you're never pushing as hard and the turbo would make lighter work of long straights.

@Alex: Can I ask why you'd go for an intercooler over a chargecooler, given that the chargecooler will be hugely more effective at controlling temps? Is there some specific reason (like maybe lack of space to fit all the required pumps and barrels and bits), or just personal preference?

Also, the power delivery of the SC seems more accessible for the road (note, I never go to the track). As Greekman said, the roads here are on the slippery side, especially in the summer months when the temp is upwards 40 degrees. So, even though I'd love a kick in the back from a turbo, maybe with a SC you can put the power down in a more controllable way in the twisties.

Which is why I'd go for an SC setup for track work and TT for the road, as you're never pushing as hard and the turbo would make lighter work of long straights.

@Alex: Can I ask why you'd go for an intercooler over a chargecooler, given that the chargecooler will be hugely more effective at controlling temps? Is there some specific reason (like maybe lack of space to fit all the required pumps and barrels and bits), or just personal preference?

Just what I heard the other day really. Not a personal preference, I'll go with whatever is more efficient and safe. Do you think a chargecooler is better at keeping the temps down?

I'm pretty sure my brother (who owns a highly modded Lotus Esprit v8) noticed a substantial improvement in temperatures when he changed his chargecooler with an air intercooler.

Maybe it was something else? I dunno

Alex

A chargecooler is more efficient at removing the heat as it's a water-based system, working in a similar (well, identical) way to the radiator that keeps your engine cool. Water is a more efficient conductor of heat than air, and a CC setup is particularly better suited to hot climates as you won't suffer from heat soak anywhere near as much as an IC setup. Granted that's less of an issue with an SC car than a TT one, but it's still a better solution in most cases. The only downside is cost and space needed.

Be interested to hear about your brother's setup on the Esprit, got any more details on what he did?

Does Vortech come with a chargecooler, because that's what I think I read?

My brother's setup... off the top of my head:

V8 motor

Forged pistons and rods

Race ECU

Ohlins coilovers

Bigger intercooler

AP Racing brakes

Lotus Motorsport intake and exhaust.

I might be off a bit, but that's basically his setup.

The car now works at 16psi producing a little more than 500hp at the flywheel.

It's also lightened a bit by using carbon fibre panels in the interior and exterior. The Esprit is already a light car, so it's wickedly fast.

The weak link of the whole setup is the gearbox, which I think is getting replaced one of these days with a Quaife custom box.

Ah, if he just replaced the radiator of the chargecooler for a larger one that could well explain the decreased inlet temps.

Isn't the Esprit 'box a Renault one? I seem to recall reading that somewhere when I was doing my research into buying one, which sadly never happened in the end as I saw sense and realised my pockets were sadly not bottomless. Money no object though, I'd have a Sport300 in a heartbeat.

Yes, now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure it's manufactured by Renault.

It sucks mate, trust me. Even in stock form as a factory v8, I can clearly recall my brother cursing under his teeth every time he shifted.

Lever throws are long as hell too.

Gear linkage failing.

Synchros made of butter.

Such a great chassis, yet such weak transmission.