Almost crash the Z!!!

Murdoch

Not sure if anyone else has suffered this yet....

I washed the Z on Sat and haven't needed to drive it till this morning... Jumped in first thing and set off down the hill from my house to the T junction at the end. Half way down (sticking I might add to the 30mph limit! and prob the only reason I don't have a smashed Z'd right now!) the hill I start to apply the brakes and... NOTHING! panic!! Reapply... OTHING! French language used to effectiveness more panic... Reapply again, a slight effect, more french even more panic, try to push brake pedal through the floor to the road and finaly the car slams to a hault, just over the line!

Seriously if I'd had been any faster or tried to late brake I'd have smashed it! So word of warning all... when you wash your car remember to either take it for a quick spin and clear the brakes or be very careful when you next use it!! :thumbs:

She does look nice and clean tho :teeth:

Do you think thats from where the rust forms on the discs or something more sinister? I normally find mine arent too good for the first bit of braking, but it doesnt take much more than one stop to get them back to good. Usually drive along my close with a bit of left foot braking sorts them out :)

Odd. I can go weeks without driving the Zed. Well not so much now to be honest and this never happens. I get the surface rust but it comes off no problem. Never had any trouble like that at all.

Hmmm. I'd ry it again perhaps.

Only used turtle wash n wax to clean it and then water to get the suds off... so no real products like I'd normally use such as tyre spray etc (too cold ;))

I've had cars before with uprated pads which need to be heated a fair bit and so can be a little unresponsive after a wash and not being driven but I had nothing when I pressed the peddal at all! it was like someone nicked the brake pads....

I think I'll have to jack it up and check the pads, maybe they arn't wearing properly and need changing... didn't need any coffee this morning to get going!! :blush:

Loving the clean car, brown seats comment... sooooo true :lol:

Get the brakes bled - process of elimination...could be brake master cylinder.

Does the pedal feel spongy - try pumping it when driving to see if you notice anything odd?

Any warranty left on the car - take it to Nissan ASAP.

Get the brakes bled - process of elimination...could be brake master cylinder.

Does the pedal feel spongy - try pumping it when driving to see if you notice anything odd?

Any warranty left on the car - take it to Nissan ASAP.

Murdoch hasn't said he's got an ongoing problem with the brakes - just sounds like a water build-up that being on a hill accentuated the lack of brakes when he first came to use them. Rather like when you go through a ford - need to clear the water by dabbing the brakes for a short while so they are working a 100% again.

I do get the same symptons as GIXXERUK if the cars has been left parked for a while and its rained as the pads have 'bonded' to the discs through due to the surface rust that quickly clears. Those are normal symptons irrespective of what car it is :thumbs:

It will be intersting to see if Murdoch has discovered something untoward.

I am still of the view that water build up around the pads after rinsing the car off from washing, and particularly if the car was left out and it iced up, was the cause of the problem. If water had frozen around the pads, it would take a few applications of the brakes to melt the ice build-up so that they were able to bite on the discs normally. Because it seems his journey started down a hill the lack of bite became a more serious issue and brown trouser job. :surrender: