Noobie Looking to Buy a Z.....Please Help??

Venom

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a 350Z but a little lost as to what is out there for me to spend my moneys on lol. I searched the forum but was unable to fins anything that could help me. I'm a little confused as to what different types of Z there are out there and what trip to look for? Here is what I understand so far but if someone can put reg dates to some of these so that I know what year of car to look for when looking please....Right here we go, I undestand there is.......

std 350Z (275bhp)

std 350Z GT4 pack (275bhp)

350Z with Nismo Aero Kit (275bhp)

350Z S-tune (bhp.......?)

MKII 350Z (300bhp)

now I'm not sure on all this but I'm after a newer one with the 300bhp but will quite happly take and older one if it has the Nismo kit or is an S-tune (if such a thing is avalable in the UK and if someone could tell me the bhp please?) Also is there such models of S-tune in the newer 350Z with the 300bhp std?

Any help would be very helpful thankyou.

s-tune is a jap import or otherwise know a JDM. Nismo kit doesn't give you more horsepower and neither does the S-tune. Its more of a spec level than performance level. Models have increased in BHP as they go up in MK. the latest being 313bhp. The GT4 had 296BHP which the same engine was then used on the MY06

Three basic models.

350Z(04-06) - 276bhp

350Z(06-07) - 296bhp

350Z (07-pres) - 309bhp

And in two trim levels Base and GT

The GT4 was available with 296 and in the exclusive ultra yellow colour.

JDMs use the same engines but have slightly different trim levels S, Tand ST

Three basic models.

350Z(04-06) - 276bhp

350Z(06-07) - 296bhp

350Z (07-pres) - 309bhp

The GT4 was available with 296 and in the exclusive ultra yellow colour and also in Kuro black.

Not oft Stew gets it wrong ;)

Three basic models.

350Z(04-06) - 276bhp

350Z(06-07) - 296bhp

350Z (07-pres) - 309bhp

The GT4 was available with 296 and in the exclusive ultra yellow colour.

With the GT4 did they also come in Black....? Just looking on auto traider and searching for GT4 and it comes up with Yellow and Black Z's....?

Just to throw a cat amongst the pidgeons - i believe the later models with higher BHP have less torque...

How this relates to everyday driving, i dont know...?

Having had a 276 and now a 296 - yes your belief is right in practice - it is marginal and when you really push on the few extra revs of the 296 does give it an edge but for everyday driving I found the 276 more tractable.

The one area where the better torque of the 276 really showed for me was when using the cruise (2004 UK GT model) - it was definitely more responsive when you looked for a quick increase in speed, using the button.

From what I have learnt in the 3 years of ZED ownership, and Big Phil has commented on this, the best engines were the early ones :thumbs:

Are the later engines then with the higher bhp have more issues then or is it just something you can feel when driving that the early models felt better.....??

I'm looking to get a 296 ZED but will settle for a 276 if it has the correct spec??

Another question I know the new models rev up to 8k is this only on the 309s or also on the 296s too please??

Are the later engines then with the higher bhp have more issues then or is it just something you can feel when driving that the early models felt better.....??

I'm looking to get a 296 ZED but will settle for a 276 if it has the correct spec??

Another question I know the new models rev up to 8k is this only on the 309s or also on the 296s too please??

Depends what you want to spend at the end of the day - really there is little difference in engine response - I have found this out on drive-outs with other ZEDs they are all much the same on the road. And remember its not just about the engine, the 296 and 309 models were each uprated in other ways - for me personally I find the interior and the headlights and rear LEDS in another league compared to the 276 versions. Whilst uprating the rear lights is no big deal its an arm and leg job to uprate the headlghts on pre-2006 cars. Bear in mind that whilst there are a good range of engine mods for the 276 and 296 models things are bit more limited for the 309 as that was an 80% new engine and with the 370Z coming out tuning companies are not investing in upgrades for the relatively short release of the 309 engines.

You may have also heard that the ECU will limit potential performance enhancing mods, without major spends to get round that. So improviing the sound and looks is the road most will go down if they want something different from stock.

:)

What is different on the headlights then with and early and late medel of ZED then please? I'm looking for an 06-07 296 model in reality. Do these come with the rear LED lights too? I was thinking along the lines that the 309 models would be hard to tune/mod as the engine was near to its peak anyways.

The headlights just had a different look about them - nothing to do with the light itself, just the way the bulb was mounted. The later ones also got LED rears, but these are a cheap upgrade to an early Zed anyway. They can be bought of a couple of traders on here for around £240 IIRC. :)

Here's a magazine review which tells you about the 2006/2007 upgrades (mostly right)

"Prices for the 2006 350Z which is orderable now will start at £26,300. That’s £800 more than the sell out 2005 version but new Z fans will be getting £1700 worth of extra spec including 18-inch RAYS lightweight alloy wheels (previously a £1000 option), bi-xenon headlights, and another 20PS of heart stirring power.

From the outside, the changes are intentionally hard to spot … unless the car’s lights are on. On main beam, the headlights are now xenon fuelled and the side lights distinctive LEDs. And nobody will miss the LED tail-lights particularly when the Z’s Brembo brakes are on. Inside Nissan has listened to customer comments and repositioned some switchgear, improved comfort without sacrificing the Z’s sports car feel, and changed some materials to give the interior even higher perceived quality to match its inherent strength. All Coupes also gain standard Bluetooth phone connectivity and there’s now the option of factory fitted DVD Europe-wide satnav. But best of all, there’s more under bonnet power – up from 280PS to a serious 300PS giving more bite to match the Z’s characteristic exhaust howl.

With prices starting at £26,300 for standard coupe and £1500 more for the Roadster with electric folding roof, the 350Z remains fantastic value for money compared to its rivals. As with the original 350Z, the 2006 version is available with a GT Pack for £2500 – it adds electric, heated leather seats, 240W Bose stereo system with 6-CD in-dash changer, and cruise control. So price-wise the ultimate 2006 is the Roadster GT Pack at £30,300. Supply will be no less limited meaning residual values will stay impressively high. And because the exterior changes are so subtle, current owners’ investments should remain strong.

Other options available on the revised range include a new factory fitted DVD satellite navigation system first seen on the all-new Pathfinder and more recently on the 2006 X-TRAIL. Priced at £1200, the new system features improved processor graphics, while the wide screen display can be split to show map settings and realistic visual representations of the road ahead. The Birdviewâ„¢ satellite navigation system also includes Traffic Message Channel (TMC) offering alternative routes to beat the jams.

GT Pack customers can choose to brighten up their interior by adding Alezan Orange leather interior for £350. If your GT Pack is a Roadster, the Alezan option also brings netted seat centres. And also for the Roadster, there’s the option of a blue roof at no extra cost.

At a glance:

• More power from higher revving engine (300PS and 6400rpm max)

• Refreshed exterior with:

• Restyled front end

• New look headlamps and LED tail-lamps

• Improved interior with:

• Repositioned switchgear

• Soft-feel materials

• Greater storage opportunities

• Factory-fitted satellite navigation option

• Standard Bluetooth phone integration (coupé only)

• Two new colours – Universal Silver and a new black metallic"

And if you want a read up on pre 2006 ZEDs try this:

http://www.motorbar.co.uk/350z.htm

:)

The headlights just had a different look about them - nothing to do with the light itself, just the way the bulb was mounted. The later ones also got LED rears, but these are a cheap upgrade to an early Zed anyway. They can be bought of a couple of traders on here for around £240 IIRC. :)

Borrowed from the Z-1 Performance website:

These are genuine Nissan HID projector headlights as found on the 2006 models. Unlike previous years, the 2006 models received a true projector lense for increased light output and a much more modern look. Direct plug and play for any 2003-2005 350Z that came with factory HID. If your car was not equipped with factory HID's, you'll need to purchase an aftermarket HID kit with D2S bulbs. Priced per pair.

Item: Price: Shipping Cost: Purchase:

Nissan 2006 350Z HID Headlights (Pair) $1515.00 $69.00

OUCH! :scare:

I'm looking for something 06 and onwards, as long as its to the spec i want. In terms of performance you say that the 276 and 296 models have more mods for them, what are the best mods to get good gains out of them to get them closer or over 300 bhp please?

I'm looking for something 06 and onwards, as long as its to the spec i want. In terms of performance you say that the 276 and 296 models have more mods for them, what are the best mods to get good gains out of them to get them closer or over 300 bhp please?

Non.

Do a search ;)