Le Mans 2009

Lexx

Hi folks.

I know its still in 2008. But since people start booking up around about now, I thought Id start a thread on it to see who's going, and share information.

Stuff I've gathered so far -

If you normally use Dover-Bologne ferries. Then I would suggest using somewhere else.

I had inside info that THIS was gunna happen. And have heard rumours that they wont be resuming service.

LD Lines are to start a service on that run. But not until July 2009. So still no good.

Speedchills - Many people use speedchills to book their tickets and camping etc. And although the website hasnt been updated in some time. I have been reliably informed that they are still going, and will be updating the site forthwith so that you can purchase tickets through them.

Oh, and who here is going??

would love to come, but sadly this always falls on a weekend during term time. and as a teacher it would be a nightmare to get back intime to teach.

planned it once before worked out we would drive back to the uk get back at 4-5 in the morning and then straight into the classroom for 8.30 :scare:

not my idea of fun.

but i must go one year as it looks awesome.

big phil did you get my email?

would love to come, but sadly this always falls on a weekend during term time. and as a teacher it would be a nightmare to get back intime to teach.

planned it once before worked out we would drive back to the uk get back at 4-5 in the morning and then straight into the classroom for 8.30 :scare:

not my idea of fun.

but i must go one year as it looks awesome.

big phil did you get my email?

No email

Bugger, already booked my tickets with SpeedFerries for next year! Just had my confirmation via JustTickets about my grandstand seats as well so at least that's one less thing to worry about, but will have to sort the ferries out again now...

Cheers for the heads up, Lexx.

Bugger, already booked my tickets with SpeedFerries for next year! Just had my confirmation via JustTickets about my grandstand seats as well so at least that's one less thing to worry about, but will have to sort the ferries out again now...

Cheers for the heads up, Lexx.

Dover-Dunquerqe is normally a decent price with NorfolkLine.

Though it is slightly further to drive.

We're considering doing the overnight ferry from Hull to Cherbourg. Hmmmm

I think we're probably going to do P&O Dover to Calais. Works out at £79 (an extra tenner over what SF wanted) for very similar crossing times, so that seems a pretty good albeit obvious option for me.

P&O was only £50 last year return in June when i went to the French grand prix (Dover/Calais) ;)

• 1 month later...

We always do Dover to Calais. P&O must be still 'alright' in business terms, you think ferry, you think P&O.

We may be leaning towards 'le chunnel' this year though.

Isn't the Speedchills thing expensive? WRR is quite expensive in comparison to what we all usually pay.

Ferry, camping tickets and general admission tickets rolled together for us is £120 ish each.

We're hoping to be at Chapelle again after last year. We thought we'd dropped a boll0ck slightly staying there but it turned out to be awesome.

My small review is on Beer Mountain, I recommend it!

We always do the portsmouth-caen crossing. The ferry leaves at 8-30 on the night and gets in at 7 the next morning. Lots of fun on the ferry and only a 1 1/2 - 2hr drive the other side. always buy blue nord camping on ebay a few weeks before.

Been looking into the packages available at the moment and evo seem to be doing a good one.

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and a relatively new Z owner B)

I've always wanted to go to Le Mans and it seems to be the perfect opportunity for a road trip, so I've booked the Thursday and Friday before the event off work and also the Monday after, with the intentions of cruising down...

So, as a complete novice and having never been before, what do I need to know? Can you just turn up and sort everything out upon arrival?

What's the best route to take? Dover to Calais, or Southampton/Portsmouth to Cherboury/Caen/Le Harve?

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or links to appropriate websites?

Many thanks in advance!

Dan

It doesn't really matter which ferry crossing you take, just pick whichever is closest or cheapest.

You'll need to start booking accomodation up very soon if not now, regardless of whether you want to camp actually at LeMans itself or at one of the various campsites located around the area, or if you want to be really boring and stay in a hotel. ;)

General entry tickets for the practice/qualifying/race can be bought on the door, but if you want a grandstand seat then you need to move pretty quickly as they are selling out fast this year. Go via Just Tickets if you want these, good people to deal with. They'll also sell you the car parking tickets, ideally you want white if not red if you're not staying on site.

Download this guide for last year, contains everything you could ever need to know. This year's one will be out in the next few months but you'll want to be sorted by then more or less, and the info in last years is 99% the same as what will be in this years.

Above all else, just go! The weekend is whatever you make of it, do your own thing and you'll love every second of it.