ONE BIG POTHOLE= 2 BENT 20'' WHEELS AND A SPLIT SIDESKIRT...

breay

Well after cleaning my wheels twice a week every week and avoiding every curb when parking to keep my lovely 20's in mint condition my luck ran out.

I hit a MASSIVE pothole last night that was full of water. I pulled over to see that both my nearside wheels were bent and my Veilside V3 skirt was split underneath.

I only know it was a pothole as i went back to the road this morning armed with a camera and tape measure! I've just phoned the council to find that the same pothole was reported a month ago, and they are sending me out a claims form. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing before? Should i wait to see what they say first or should i start looking for 2 more rims and try to claim back the money later? As yet the tyres havnt deflated but i really dont fancy driving it with buggered wheels! but i dont have the cash spare to buy 2 more! :rant:

Cheers for any advice you can give me :thumbs:

For safety's sake I would go ahead and replace the rims now. The council's actions suggest they will pay out on this one but you have nothing in writing so assume there is a chance they won't. Keep a note of any conversations you have with them (name, time, date etc.).

Yeah i think your right Digsy, i might email the pics to a alloy wheel repairer but i havnt a clue if they could be repaired, im gutted really as they are only about 5 months old.

To be fair to the guy on the phone he was relly helpfull which i really wasnt expecting.

Go back and get pictures of the actual location, with the time and date being recorded on the photo. So stand back and get the surroundings so it cannot be argued where the pothole actually is. Do this ASAP, they are very good at filling these things in just after it happens, it did with me.......

Then send pictures of the damage to them - do NOT pay for anything yourself unless you are prepared to foot the bill. Whatever you choose, they will then claim it is more economical to do the opposite ie you replace the wheel, they'd say it can be repaired. They should be pretty quick, especially if you mention you will be needing to hire a car while the damage is being repaired...... ;)

I have a clear pic of the depth of the hole with a tape measure, and the name of the road, when i told the guy he seemed to know exactly where i was talking as it had been reported last month but he said that on the notes it said that the hole had been marked with a yellow arrow to warn people but i have pictures showing no arrow what so ever, so either someone didnt actually mark it or it had washed off.

:( man that is unlucky, my friend had this happen in his audi (only one wheel though) and phoned up the garage, they suggested they trailored it to the dealer to replace, so i dont think driving on them is a good idea.

audi doesnt have a spare just the crazy foam ..

Well im going to have to drive it from my parents house back to mine tonight which is only 5mins away, ill check the tyre pressures and drive like a granny to get it home. Ive emailed an alloy repair company to see what they think and im going to get it on a ramp at work 2morrow and ask one of my mechanics to have a look at the inside edge of the wheels. Fingers crossed there isnt any more damage that i dont know about! :scare:

Oh and thankyou for all your comments :thumbs:

Go back and get pictures of the actual location, with the time and date being recorded on the photo. So stand back and get the surroundings so it cannot be argued where the pothole actually is. Do this ASAP, they are very good at filling these things in just after it happens, it did with me.......

Then send pictures of the damage to them - do NOT pay for anything yourself unless you are prepared to foot the bill. Whatever you choose, they will then claim it is more economical to do the opposite ie you replace the wheel, they'd say it can be repaired. They should be pretty quick, especially if you mention you will be needing to hire a car while the damage is being repaired...... ;)

+1 As rob says wisely Do not pay for anything unless you are prepared to foot the bill.

Get as much evidence as possible. Unfortunately this will prob take some time to sort but better than beeing out of pocket.

Well ive just heard back from the alloy repair company and they say that from the pictures i emailed them they dont think they can repair the wheels which im a little surprised at, seeing as its just the polished lip that needs reshaping.

So unfortunately it looks like im going to need to buy 2 new wheels, and then try to claim back the money later, although i could put my old non rays back on for the mean time! but the car would look soooooooooo @*!# with the kit and standard wheels! :lol::scare: -i hate our crap roads! :angry:

Sorry to hear about this mate, What a bummer.

All good advice from the guys above.

I would just like to add that a wheel repair with this type of damage is not recommended I'm afraid.

Also I would be looking for two new tyres as well.

Good luck with the claim.

Sorry to hear this buddy, how badly is your skirt effected, any pics ?, Pot Holes do my head in , there is a road near me which you literally have to dodge them all the way up, hope you get it all sorted and get a good and fair result back from the council mate .

Well ive just heard back from the alloy repair company and they say that from the pictures i emailed them they dont think they can repair the wheels which im a little surprised at, seeing as its just the polished lip that needs reshaping.

So unfortunately it looks like im going to need to buy 2 new wheels, and then try to claim back the money later, although i could put my old non rays back on for the mean time! but the car would look soooooooooo @*!# with the kit and standard wheels! :lol::scare: -i hate our crap roads! :angry:

Put the other wheels on buddy, if you present them with a receipt they will dispute it, and you'll be out of pocket even longer...... Patience :)

Put the other wheels on buddy, if you present them with a receipt they will dispute it, and you'll be out of pocket even longer...... Patience :)

:thumbs: Very sound advice otherwise you might lose out in the long run as the guy being helpful may only be a pipsqueak and someone else in the ivory tower who controls the purse strings may have other ideas - hope I'm wrong but I have 'worked' with Council's too long to believe anything until the deal is signed and sealed.

:lol:

Funny that everyone at work has been telling me to try and claim for a new set of wheels and tyres and skirts etc, etc.....

Call me a wuss but i dont want to skank anyone, i just want the claim to be sorted asap and my car back to normal! :drive1

track rod ends, drop links, wheel bearings :thumbs:

Gixxer are you suggesting that there may be some damage to said parts? :lol:

You could have done all sorts, should get it all checked out.

Hold out for the new wheels, as the others have said, if you pay up yourself you will never get the money back. If all else fails threaten to take them to small claims court for the damange or get a solicitors note, you'll be amazed what they can do :thumbs: