Number plate Q's (£30 fine+threatened 3 points)

M350ZB

Right having been pulled over for the first time in my 4 years of driving :lol: pretty good me thinks ;) , im curious to the actual law on number plates.

Basically i got pulled for an illegal spaced number plate on my way to ESR today, gutted i was!. To cut a long story short i got a £30 fine and they threatened me with 3 points, which i kept telling them they cant do. The fuzz told me if you get caught or stopped or whatever for the numebr plate 3 times they can take it off you, surely this cannot be true as it is your own property. Talking to big phil today, he was saying in his 350z he has been stopped 6 times, but still has his plate, all i got was a £30 fine, so would this be recorded as the first one or ?, and also any info regarding number plates e.t.c please post up, just want to know where is stand.

Have had the plate on the car for one and a half years, and i live in essex, never been stoppe, drove to colchester, sheffeild, brighton, wales, no probs. Got pulled by the yorkshire police force, first tim ever visiting there :lol:

any help guys ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU ONLY PURCHASE THE RIGHT TO USE THE PLATE NOT TO OWN IT, IT IS ALWAYS OWNED BY THE DVLA AND THEY CAN CANCEL IT, DOESNT HAPPEN VERY OFTEN, THE COPPER I SPOKE TO SAID HE HAD NEVER KNOWN IT TO HAPPEN

Thats good to know, cheers buddy !! :thumbs:

I've been done for this type of thing a couple of times. I've never received a fine. Only a 'fix it' notice.

They do have the power in extreme cases to revoke the plate however I know someone that has flaunted the law on this and been caught loads of times. He still has his plate and it's still illegal!

What the DVLA leaflet says that Phil helpfully posted - no mention of points penalty ;)

Offences

It is an offence to alter, rearrange or misrepresent letters or numbers in order to form names or words or in such a way that

makes it difficult to read the registration number. Characters must not be moved from one block to the other e.g. AB51 DVL

must not be displayed as AB5 1DVL or AB 51DVL. Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may FAIL the MoT

test. The police can also issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders are liable to a MAXIMUM

FINE of £1,000 and in some cases the mark may be withdrawn.

For vehicles with new or replacement number plates fitted after 31.8.2001, “3-lineâ€

:lol: welcome to Yorkshire! Mine didn't last 5 minutes! I just played dumb and said it was a present from my other half, then I asked the nice policeman to show me how it should be spaced, got chatted up for 10 minutes and given a defect notice. To be honest a fine would have been less hassle than having to get another plate and go to an MOT station! Police in our area are also well known for making you rip your tints off at the roadside too!

Pulled over once?! I was pulled for the 17th time on Sunday last week. Albeit for something I was doing wrong, but never had anything issued yet!

Number plate spacing does seem to be a bit of an easy target though...

I've been done for this type of thing a couple of times. I've never received a fine. Only a 'fix it' notice.

They do have the power in extreme cases to revoke the plate however I know someone that has flaunted the law on this and been caught loads of times. He still has his plate and it's still illegal!

Never recieved a fine, a fix it notice ????, does that just mean you have to like 100% sort it out or ?, like i said its the first time in a year and a half that i have had the plate. Was on the A1(M), fuzz was sitting on the hard shoulder scanning everyoens plates. Suppose a fine is a bit better then cause you as such ant got to get it sorted, lol !!!!!

Pulled over once?! I was pulled for the 17th time on Sunday last week. Albeit for something I was doing wrong, but never had anything issued yet!

Number plate spacing does seem to be a bit of an easy target though...

17th time, jesus :scare: , and were most of these for a no. plate or ?, how many fines have you had for ya plate then bud ? ? ?

fix it notice = vehicle defect notice. You have 14 days to get it put right, take it to an MOT station (who may or may not charge you), they fill a form in to say it's correct. You then have to send it to police. Pain in the arse!

fix it notice = vehicle defect notice. You have 14 days to get it put right, take it to an MOT station (who may or may not charge you), they fill a form in to say it's correct. You then have to send it to police. Pain in the arse!

Put a legal plate on, go get a stamp from an mot place, drive out and put your naughty plate back on. ;)

That's what I've done in the past.

I decided this time to take off my mini plate and put on a cut down one.

The thing was bad cop wrote out the ticket and detailed a spacing defect which there wasn't! If I'd been fined I would have bent him over for that. Just glad good cop had some grounding and was decent.