When is this madness going to stop?

Beavis

I got caught up in this very early this morning travelling over to bigphil at ESR. What an absolute tradgedy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7683001.stm

I have to say that the standard of driving by many lorry/van drivers i witnessed this morning on the M6/M62 was absolutley shocking. The rules and regulations on foreign drivers driving on our roads needs to be tightened up. :dry:

The north bound carriageway was still closed this morning at 5am, i was travelling south and got caught in a traffic jam which didnt move for two hours near stafford due to a milk lorry jack knifing into the fast lane

i see a lot of lorry drivers with poor road skills :headhurt:

an absolute tragedy for the family :surrender:

Middle lane sitters....

Trucks that overtake on hills.....

Trucks that just indicate and pull out so not to have to slow down.....

Foreign Drivers

Taxi's

People that brake for no f'ing reason...

People that pay no attention to other drivers....

One problem is that most drivers on the road took their test when motorway driving wasnt a part of it... I think only a small bit is now... Very few people have decent road skills, I would go so far as to say 25% of all drivers.. Just wonder how many people would pass their test again after 10 years... Could be a money spinner for the govt but would save a shed load of lives...

I could go on and on and on.... Poor family, unfortunatly isnt the 1st and wont be the last....

Middle lane sitters....

Trucks that overtake on hills.....

Trucks that just indicate and pull out so not to have to slow down.....

Foreign Drivers

Taxi's

People that brake for no f'ing reason...

People that pay no attention to other drivers....

One problem is that most drivers on the road took their test when motorway driving wasnt a part of it... I think only a small bit is now... Very few people have decent road skills, I would go so far as to say 25% of all drivers.. Just wonder how many people would pass their test again after 10 years... Could be a money spinner for the govt but would save a shed load of lives...

I could go on and on and on.... Poor family, unfortunatly isnt the 1st and wont be the last....

+100000000000000000000000000000000

Oh just to add.... How many of us drove at 70mph during driving lessons and tests? No practice, take the test, pass, drive out and you can do 70mph (+) on a motorway???

And this nanny state worry about someone not being able to use a ladder the right way?

You're right about most of the driving test 3fiddy except that you say that motorway driving is just a small part of the test, it's not part of the practical at all. There should be a second test that people have to pass before they can drive on motorways. I think it's in Ireland where you have to have a 'P' plate on your car for a year after you pass and you aren't allowed to exceed 50 on any road, that sounds sensible to me.

Truly sad, when something like this happens your first thoughts are for those left behind, I can't imagine how the grandparents who the family were visiting feel now, my deepest sympathies go out to them.

M25 is no better, I use the M25 and the M23 on a daily basis and in sections its a wonder their arnt more crashes.... Gets worse when the days get shorter...

P plates are in the UK now but not sure if they limit you to a speed!

P plates are optional in the UK

It does'nt matter where the drivers are from - its a common problem here in the UK - as soon as the rain starts this time of year people just forget the basics - slow down , drive with your headlights , leave a bigger gap - use those damn yellow flashy things and dont tailgate!

Thats it that is all you need to know!! :rant:

Until people stop being so selfish in the way they drive - we will continue to see these incidents well into Febuary I'm afraid.

M56 is my hated route this time of year - taking me on average now 2-3 hours per night to get home :surrender:

Ah headlights in the rain, that's a good idea, I nearly moved into a Merc the other day, it was pissing it down (and I mean really hard!), no visibility so I indicated and started to move & then suddenly realised that there was a silver merc with no lights on doing about 95mph that I nearly hit because he was nigh on invisible in my mirrors, and he had the cheek to call me a ****er as he went past!

They still don't make you drive on the motorway in the UK during driving lessons or your test????? :wacko: Crazy!

I learnt in Germany - motorway nearly every lesson and as part of my test. In those days, when there was pretty much no speed limit anywhere on the autobahn, you soon learnt how to use your mirrors and indicators!

They still don't make you drive on the motorway in the UK during driving lessons or your test????? :wacko: Crazy!

I learnt in Germany - motorway nearly every lesson and as part of my test. In those days, when there was pretty much no speed limit anywhere on the autobahn, you soon learnt how to use your mirrors and indicators!

I cant beleive that!!! :rant:

Motorway driving is all about confidence , forward thinking and anticipating the next moron in his Beemer before he is up your ar** :boxing:

I cant beleive that!!! :rant:

Motorway driving is all about confidence , forward thinking and anticipating the next moron in his Beemer before he is up your ar** :boxing:

+1 :surrender:

Never ceases to amaze me how many times I have already anticipated what is happening further in front than the cars directly in front of me. So many see no further than their bonnet & have no consideration for other cars (i'm on the road: i'm going this way so it must be right & so on). Also the congestion on our motorways makes people drive to quickly, when able , because they have lost much time in traffic jams.

As Beavis will know, anywhere near Junction 15 M6 is like a magnet for accidents, as we have seen in recent days.

With the growth in foreign transport on our roads, due to cheaper costs, and with left hand drive vehicles, its no wonder we are seeing more of these accidents when unfortunate people lose their lives. So sad & such a waste that a whole family was lost in this way.

Never ceases to amaze me how many times I have already anticipated what is happening further in front than the cars directly in front of me. So many see no further than their bonnet & have no consideration for other cars (i'm on the road: i'm going this way so it must be right & so on)..

+1 One thing I was always taught was to always try and drive to the car infront of the one infront of me... Makes you concentrate on whats happening on the road... And if you cant do that hang at least a cars length back so you can see the car infront of them..

It also amazes me why people brake for no reason, if your going too fast for your own ability, pull into the slow or middle lane and slow down, dont do it in the fast lane...

There was a show on TV about the butterfly effect of someone braking for little or no reason and then the car (s) behind not speeding up to a decent motorway speed.. Its one of the main reasons for motorway congestion, not accidents or volume of traffic, breaking for no reason!

And another thing (got soap box out now!) when they close a lane on the motorway because of an accident, why some people feel they can keep going to the last min to pull in. Was on the M25 a few weeks ago, notice for ages before about an emergency fast lane closure, traffic slowing but moving, pulled in from the fast lane where there was space, 2 BMW's (Suprised?) kept going in the fast lane, I could see the stranded car in the fast lane ahead, next thing is 1st BMW tries to squeeze into a space that wasnt there, clips stranded car and bangs into 2 cars in the middle lane, 2nd BMW with no where to go, clips BMW and goes into back of stranded car... Lucky the driver of the stranded car was standing in the central reservation away from the car. Unlucky for the beemers a police car was about 100m behind them... As I passed in the slow lane the police office was having a very stearn word and virtually every car passing had a few choice words...

There was a show on TV about the butterfly effect of someone braking for little or no reason and then the car (s) behind not speeding up to a decent motorway speed.. Its one of the main reasons for motorway congestion, not accidents or volume of traffic, breaking for no reason!

+1 :thumbs:

Coincidentally (got my soap box out now) M60 this morning

- they had closed outside lane near cheadle turning - 2 cars had a light bump I think - the traffic jam was horrendous - worse thing the highways signs are saying slow down and then the 'X' lane closed right on the actual incident not about a few miles back - so as mentioned above everyone trying to squeeze into 2 lanes in last minute - but guess what - no lane block they had already moved the cars to hard shoulder and nothig bad that I could see a few bods just having a chat with highways men (have you ever seen them doing anything yet?) so then we realise the outside lane is actually empty and everyone canes it again!!! :rant:

Why the hell do they leave the DANGER PANIC signs on for ages after things have been sorted - do they not call the control centre back and tell them!! :headhurt: They case more delays than the actual events? :boxing:

Sorry folks just means I lost my lunchtime today and will probably be back for 2-3 hours on the way home on top of the 2 hours this morning!! :thumbs: