Single Engine for F1

Beavis

And which manufacturer is being lined up for that we wonder - if you have checked out the Mosley/Donnelly business links you wouldn't be surprised that FIArrai/FIAt look odds on. And no doubt a certain FI supremo will have that base covered as well as if he hasn't got enough billions. Can only hope the other engine manufacturers and affected teams will do something legally effective to curtail the activities of a few who are so self-indulgent. :angry:

I understand (and agree with) the idea of wanting to cut costs but this definitely isn't the way to do it, F1 has always been a team sport and the teams are always developing new things to try and gain an advantage wherever the regulations allow and the engine should be part of this.

And which manufacturer is being lined up for that we wonder - if you have checked out the Mosley/Donnelly business links you wouldn't be surprised that FIArrai/FIAt look odds on. And no doubt a certain FI supremo will have that base covered as well as if he hasn't got enough billions. Can only hope the other engine manufacturers and affected teams will do something legally effective to curtail the activities of a few who are so self-indulgent. :angry:

For once can we have an F1 discussion that doesn't descend into an FIA/Ferrari rant?

The standard ECU that all the teams use is the one that was first developed for McClaren.

On topic:

Single engine is madness and will force the manufactures out of F1. I don't think it'll happen. I believe it's been put out to tender to push the teams into making a real cost cutting agreement. I would suggest they set a max bhp and torque like they have set a rev limit and a max spending on RND for engine and gearbox. This wouldn't create a single engine supplier but the engines would be so alike that costs would drop. The challenge for the teams would be to find the max acceleration out of the boundaries given to them.

If you take the manufacturers out of F1 you end up with a sport not far off A1GP which isn't worth watching as there's absolutely nothing worth seeing. It was meant to be nation against nation but as the drivers are from any country it’s really just a mixture of F1 drop outs and F1 hopefuls who haven’t made it through to the GP2 route.

F1 teams have always been slow to come to agreement on anything. There’s a meeting today where the FIA will present three ideas to the FOTA who will probably respond with a bunch of their own cost cutting ideas. One of the FIA’s ideas is to restrict engines to bring them to an equal level of a third party low cost engine which could be supplied to non-manufacture based teams. Not a bad idea but it’ll come down to the fine details of what the restrictions are. The down side of this idea is the gearbox has to come from one supplier for all teams. They wont agree on that one.

Its all a crock of sh1te! They wont cut costs by having anything that is a "control" part, engine, tyres, chasis, anything. Big firms will always have money to spend on parts and they will only plough it into R&D on something else. Unless they set a budget for the year, they will never kurb the spending of big teams.

F1 is BIG business - that is why car/engine maunfacturers get involved and see it globably as a good advert for what they do.

There is little doubt that those who control F1 are doing very nicely out of it.

The FIA states it: "is the governing body for world motor sport and the federation of the world’s leading motoring organisations. Founded in 1904, with headquarters in Paris, the FIA is a non-profit making association. "So we take it those charged with governing the sport are wage/expenses paid only. But then if you look at the buisness links of those 'employed' by the FIA you start to wonder about the morality of their position when wearing their FIA hats they are making decisions that could affect their business interests. We have lost count at the number of times unscupulous individuals will manipulate their positions in life to feather their nests (many politcians at all levels are classic examples) and some get away with it.

As a professional I am bound by a code of conduct to ensure no conflicts of interest arise. I simply do not see the same principle being applied to the governing body that runs motor sport.

So when the President of that body wheels out his latest (hair-brained) idea to ostensibly improve the sport I, and many others wonder just what it is that is driving them - is it really a genuine belief that it is being done to address (alledged) harm to our planet by the combustion engine or is it simply playing lip service in order to ensure that nest feathering and the intersts of those providing the feathers are not compromised. The Eccestone £1m donation to the Labour party was done to safeguard fag sponsorship - probably a drop in the ocean compared to the income subsequently derived from keeping that form of sponsorship alive for a further period :dry:

I got involved in motor sport at the age of 17 and continue to be a fan of all types some 43 years later. I just dislike the way I see the sport being carved up by those who little more interest but in seeing how much money they can make out of it and I suspect some deal has/is being cooked up surrounding the single F1 engine concept.... for the beneifit of a few. :surrender:

F***ing Idiots Assocation.

Fellowship of Incompetent Ar**holes

Federation of Innane Ar**holes.

All the above relate to this band of t*ats. Yes I agree when they try to find ways of making the racing more competitive, because at the end of the day it is a spectator sport, but this is the pinnacle of motor sport & development. How many of the components we have in our cars would be available now if the F1 R&D was reduced to a single engined category. This is also true of tyre development (dont know what happened to the Stones when it comes to wet weather). Yes the teams with the most money will always dominate (like football) but if you want more parity then watch Nascar or such like.

Its no wonder the team owners talk about leaving the FIA & running the sport themselves (if I'm correct). As said an annual budget ceiling would be interesting, as it would be down to the teams just where they spent, but it would also slow down the developments. If these idiots are allowed to continue they will only manage to damage the sport, as already witnessed this season.