Transmission Noise in Neutral

SteveW

Hi guys,

I've had my Zed about 2 weeks now and today I noticed something I hadn't noticed before.

Basically when the car is idling with the clutch depressed I get no noise. However, when I release the clutch pedal I can hear and noise (can't really describe the noise like a rumbley mechanical sound, sound slike gearbox/transmission noise)

If the clutch is depressed again the noise goes and all is quiet, release the clutch and the noise returns.

Now I have searched and found numerous posts about noisey clutch release bearings however my understanding of a noisey clutch release bearing would be the opposite to what I have, i.e. no noise when the clutch pedal is up and noise when the pedal is down.

I had the same symptoms I now have on my old Punto which was the gearbox input shaft bearing. My question is is my noise normal or do I need to shell out for a gearbox input shaft bearing replacement?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve a worried Zed owner.....

Hi guys,

I've had my Zed about 2 weeks now and today I noticed something I hadn't noticed before.

Basically when the car is idling with the clutch depressed I get no noise. However, when I release the clutch pedal I can hear and noise (can't really describe the noise like a rumbley mechanical sound, sound slike gearbox/transmission noise)

If the clutch is depressed again the noise goes and all is quiet, release the clutch and the noise returns.

Now I have searched and found numerous posts about noisey clutch release bearings however my understanding of a noisey clutch release bearing would be the opposite to what I have, i.e. no noise when the clutch pedal is up and noise when the pedal is down.

I had the same symptoms I now have on my old Punto which was the gearbox input shaft bearing. My question is is my noise normal or do I need to shell out for a gearbox input shaft bearing replacement?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve a worried Zed owner.....

Clutch release bearing makes noise when you're not touching the pedal, I had an old XR3i that did it many moons ago, and when I 1st heard the Z doing it I was worried, until I realised that they nearly all do it!

Don't think you need to worry bud :thumbs: