Advice needed on buying a 350

mouldie

Hello again fellas!

After a few weeks away from the search for a zed, the following prompted my interest:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/728239.htm

I wondered if anyone could comment on it, as it seems VERY cheap. The log book doesn't list it as a GT, but it has all the GT spec except for Rays. Did many UK cars come like this?

I've been to see it and it seems genuine enough. Drives well with no problems that I can see. The seller says it's got no history issues i.e. damaged/repaired, stolen/recovered etc. There is outstanding finance which he'd settle when I bought it.

So, if I get an inspection done on it (AA/RAC) and it comes back clear, is this an absolute bargain. Or am I missing something??? I reckon it's at least a couple of grand cheaper than it's nearest comparable rival. Would that 2 grand cover me against any major things that could go wrong? For example, if the gearbox is sha**ed, is 2 grand a drop in the ocean?

Any advice VERY gratefully received!

Car looks clean, I don't understand why it doesn't have RAYS as it looks like it has everything else - I don't know enough about what options are available.

It is also, as you say, CHEAP! I just paid £14K for one with 20K less miles, and I couldn't find an 04 with <40K for less than 13K when I was looking..

Did you get a look at the history?

If it stopped there I would be v. interested, but the fact that its got finance on it still would worry the sh!t out of me! What guarantee do you have that the seller would clear it? He may well be intending to get a nice 10K lump sum, which on this age of car is likely to be the rough amount oustanding if hes the 3rd owner... If they don't clear the finance, and then default - and he hasn't paid more than a half, the finance company can come and reposses and leave you with no car and minus 9.5K...

If it were me I would want to see the agreements, and get written conf. from the finance co of the settlement figure, then sit there and watch them physically pay it off - even then its still a bit dodge..

Sorry to be all doom and gloom, that just my opinion, good luck with whatever you decide :thumbs:

I saw the history....FNSH at the correct intervals. The guy has had his settlement figure so I thought I would just make sure I was there when he paid it off. Not sure if it's as straight forward as that though??

You can make your payment to the finance company so that you know its been done :thumbs:

I saw the history....FNSH at the correct intervals. The guy has had his settlement figure so I thought I would just make sure I was there when he paid it off. Not sure if it's as straight forward as that though??

You can make your payment to the finance company so that you know its been done :thumbs:

Yeah, that way there's no having to worry - nice plan! That would enable me to sleep better at night if I was considering this car :thumbs:

Yeah, that way there's no having to worry - nice plan! That would enable me to sleep better at night if I was considering this car :thumbs:

A lot of cars at the mo are being sold with finance to clear, is normal on the basis people finance them then can't afford to keep them! Just make sure it is clear as per the suggestions above :thumbs:

I just bought an Black 06 GT with extras off Ebay and the owner had finance, I paid the finance off directly with the bank, so on the day only £300 changed hands.

I would be careful paying the owner the full amount as there is no guarantee that the loan will be paid, and therefore the banks 'interest' in you car would still be active.

Very smooth transaction for me, so wouldn't worry too much about the finance.

Make sure its all backed up with receipts from the bank and the owner.

Loving my Z.

Owned by 350z owners club member

Which forum and whats his user name? See what his history is like with the club. Is he a lurker, or active memeber. Can offer a wealth of info.

As the others have said, pay off the finance direct so you know they wont be after you!

my last car i brought privately had outstanding finance.

the guy told me, but as i was buying, he paid it off and showed me the paper work etc.

i personally wouldn't pass the full lump sum over and then waiting the seller to pay it off.

as above, pay directly to the finance company, or make sure he pays it on the day and it clears or get him to pay for it first and then you pay him.

i've seen quite a few without rays, but with GT pack.

for the sake of £5-20, i would get a HPI.

i can higly recommend experian autocheck £20, but i'll dig up a discount code for £10 off. it's just saved my back side, as the car i was looking at was CAT D, but looked fine.

i'm assuming you can haggle on sticker price too.

on the money saved, get some wide split rims ;-)

Rays were a £1000 option from release until 06 I think when they became standard. They were not part of the GT pack. GT cars can come with either the standard wheels or the optional Rays.

+1 Mine was an 05 GT without Rays

Rays were a £1000 option from release until 06 I think when they became standard. They were not part of the GT pack. GT cars can come with either the standard wheels or the optional Rays.

+1 :thumbs: The car does look a good buy in terms of its spec - wise to get an inspection and do as others have said to make sure you don't pick up any finance debt :)

To give you an idea, when i bought my present ZED new, I exchanged a 2004 GT with similar spec (apart from sat nav and circ 24k miles ) for what was effectively a £17.5k price tag in Dec 2006 - shows you the kind of price drop since.

Hello again fellas!

The log book doesn't list it as a GT, but it has all the GT spec except for Rays.

Why doesn't the log book list is as a GT? You couldn't get the cruise control on a non-GT car, so its not a base with options. So why doesn't the reg show it to be a GT??

That would be my concern.

Id.

Hello again fellas!

The log book doesn't list it as a GT, but it has all the GT spec except for Rays.

Why doesn't the log book list is as a GT? You couldn't get the cruise control on a non-GT car, so its not a base with options. So why doesn't the reg show it to be a GT??

Id.

Neither V5 for my previous ZED or the current one states they are a 'GT' - whereas they both are.

The car Mouldie is interested in is a UK GT - no question - but do check out the finance situation very carefully and get an inspection - seen too many posts of late where new buyers have not done their homework and then found gremlins which ruins/affects the ownership experience. ;)

Hello again fellas!

Id.

Neither V5 for my previous ZED or the current one states they are a 'GT' - whereas they both are.

The car Mouldie is interested in is a UK GT - no question - but do check out the finance situation very carefully and get an inspection - seen too many posts of late where new buyers have not done their homework and then found gremlins which ruins/affects the ownership experience. ;)

Ah OK, my mistake, thought it might say it was a GT. I was thinking of when you run the reg tthrough an insurance firm and they know the spec. Sorry!

Id.

That is cheap for that price defo full RAC check.

As the others have said - mine is a 54 plate rays were an option - the previous owner had them fitted.

Are you sure that's the OEM satnav? I can't see any satnav buttons in the centre console by the screen?

Other than that if it's sweet go for it, just make sure you run through the common list of problems e.g Clicking rear drive shaft.

Oh and check the discs, pads & tyres - mega money and room for negotiation!

That is cheap for that price defo full RAC check.

As the others have said - mine is a 54 plate rays were an option - the previous owner had them fitted.

Are you sure that's the OEM satnav? I can't see any satnav buttons in the centre console by the screen?

Other than that if it's sweet go for it, just make sure you run through the common list of problems e.g Clicking rear drive shaft.

Oh and check the discs, pads & tyres - mega money and room for negotiation!

MY03 sat nav had a remote control and no buttons on the centre console :)