1st test drive and a few questions

p1tse

took a 54 plate on a short drive.

first outing in a zed.

1st) heavy clutch, but could get used to it, but every time i took off in 1st i juddered off as balance of revs (private sell, so going gentle) or lack of and heavy clutch coming back up, i wasn't use to it. but it seems like it will be hard to find the bitting point, due to the weight of the clutch, is this normal?

2nd) i wouldn't say i'm short, but average height at around 5ft8". i like to drive a little closer to the steering wheel, rather than the laid back approach with more control of the steering wheel (but not close close, so you can't turn the wheel), but i found that the gear shift lever, wasn't in a natural position (in front) and that my shoulder and arm were in a backward and unnatural position (than normal). and also the handbrake wasn't exactly in a normal position either. all things to get use to, but any other average height drivers find this too?

the drive was great, so smooth though, very nice

The clutch is quiet heavy but within 1/2 hr you get used to it, they dont like pulling away with low revs unless you feather the clutch a litttle

seating position is often commented on as being really good, so i can only imagine you didnt get it set up right for yourself

I had been driving autos for a few years before buying the zed so think this may have helped, nothing recent to compare it to. The clutch hasnt ever been an issue for me, seems pretty smooth and dont have any problems with it even on Stews short 10 hour run outs

I know people do comment that it takes some getting used to.

Had one for about 6 weeks now and still loving it. Clutch is stiff and hard not to do first without a little bit of judder, dont really notice it if pulling off quick, more about town in traffic. The driving position, im 6ft 1. would prefer if the drivers seat went a little further back, end up having to recline the seat further to get comfy. Got used to it, is a character of the car in imho.

Hi Sonic,

I'm about 5'6" and I find the car very comfortable, you just need a bit of time to set everything up.

The only problem I have in being 'vertically challenged' is the limited view - I find it quite difficult to judge where the front near side is when parking or maneuvering in tight spaces.

I had a Clio 172 cup before the Zed (horrible, stiff clutch) so I find the zed fine. Remember it's a big old lump so the controls feel nice and chunky. I also find the handbrake a touch unnatural but you get used to it.

Good luck,

Matt

All my previous cars have been French hot hatches so it took some getting used but it's a great cruiser once you get comfy.

The original owner of mine placed on of those 'track NAV' buttons on the consol to the right of the handbrake... Whenever I let someone drive my car they get a shock when some nice young lady asks them for the postcode of their destination! Whoever thought that was a good location must have had a band hangover :headhurt:

Don't be fooled by the engine either, it probably feels a bit sluggish at first but it's very linear and you have to keep an eye on the speedo ;)