you zed owners, have you driven a z4?

p1tse

I took out a 2.5 and a 3 litre! Utter SH**E

I do like the looks of it which is random i know! However it just doesnt pull well at all, cornering isn't even that impressive! 350z wins everyday :teeth:

But yeh as sarnie says z4m is defo one to consider B)

i'm looking at early zeds or z4's.

but in the current state of economy, got to think about econmics a little.

two different cars i know.

zed, has great reviews all round.

running costs, tax is higer, mpg quite good but not as good as the z4 3.0.

z4, with run flats, it's even worse i hear.

but the roof down option, and the 3.0 isn't too much of a slouch.

i do like the looks of both.

obviously if budget permited, it would be the M.

Had a maserati spyder for a year...bought it for £30k 52 reg which i thought it was a bargain.....9k service £1377....annual service £450 (yes they are separate), clutch £2300...(thought it was made of gold but actually it was £110+ an hour labour and the gearbox had to be removed for the clutch to be changed) and much more....

So boxter??? think again!!!!

Took the z4 3.0 roadster only for a test drive...looks nice...the interior is nice...but it all ends there...acceleration about the same with the Z roadster (the new one) but steering numb and inaccurate...wont comment on handling..lool.

sorry i cant speak about earlier models....dunno.....

but i guess an M will be like a boxter...expensive to run, service and insure...and depreciate more if the economy doesnt recover... :D

you will be surprised at how much lower the costs are at indies for porsche compared to OPC's....have a look around the porsche or tipec forums.....some indies even have annual warranty schemes which arnt too much over what nissan would charge...

id have a porsche over the bmw anyday....and at today's prices....you can get some seriously cheap cars...if you can afford the running costs..mpg is better than the bmw as well

gixxer - I'm in the same position as you regarding 350z or Boxster, driven both, both completely different drives but both just as good as each other!! Only thing putting me off the porker is the age of them, W / X plate ones fetching 10k/11k, same as an early Zed which is still quite a bit newer and generally better miles.

Chris :)

• 4 weeks later...

there was an argument between the z4 and 350z but i dont think there is anymore. 350z is definately the way to go. my opinion is based on me wanting to drive something that is more unique and rare. the z4 has become too affordable and no longer is it rare. in the last two months alone i've seen 4 of my friends buy them. whilst they do look good for the price, but that fact that they are too common and rubbish to drive means that the 350z wins hands down.

Dont you knock the Z4 owners :boxing: They, and the caymans are what keep my sanity :lol:

dont get me wrong, i'm not knocking the z4 owners. i think it's a good car and was myself very close to getting one. i was merely commenting on my view that there are too many on the road at the moment.

Just had to join in this thread, couldn't resist and I know I will get flamed LOL

I ran a Z4M for a few months, bought it with 4000 miles and sold it with 12,000 miles. I've had half a dozen 350zs and a Boxster, and don't get me wrong I LOVE the 350z. I just got back from a thrash around the Scottish highlands in a 350z roadster and loved every minute of it.

But I'm afraid I have to say the Z4M was in a different league.

Seriously. It cannot be compared to a 350z or a Boxster. It wipes the floor with them both. The 3.0 litre model is a more direct comparison, the M is not fair competition.

The M is focused, rapid and very very capable. In terms of power and handling it's a definite step up from the 350 and the Boxster. It would be perfectly at home on a track and I regularly used to upset blokes on big motorbikes down country roads - I know how upsetting this can be because I'm a biker myself.

It looked awesome, sounded awesome and the Stereo ( 400 watt DSP ) was the best I've ever had in a car and makes the 350's Bose sound like an Amstrad. I was once sat at traffic lights with the roof down and a pedestrian approached me and asked me if I was Batman !!! ( My car was Black with Red Leather ). The traction control was flawless and saved my bacon on more than one occasion where I got slightly over enthusiastic !

For the record it averaged 26mpg over my period of ownership, so not a lot different from a Z and it didn't need Super Unleaded either.

The only thing I don't like about the Z4M ( and all other M sport BMWs ) is the stupid fat rimmed steering wheel they insist on fitting. I have average sized hands and I find these thick wheels very uncomfortable to hold.

Out of all the cars I have had recently I miss the Z4 M the most and I will definitely have another. Serious piece of kit, a proper tool as they say.

P.S. For those who say they are too common - I never saw another M all the time I had mine. Very very few around and makes you feel very special when you see a 3.0 or 2.5 - usually reversing towards you at a high rate of knots :D

And they do look quite different to the lesser models when you look properly. The arches are more flared, the wheels are much wider especially at the rear and of course 4 exhausts. I would recommend anyone even remotely interested to go and drive one. You will want it :thumbs: